1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Th-42pv500 the ONLY choice for a plasma at the moment?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Stampax, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Have been reading these forums a bit now, as am about to dip into the world of Plasma TV's in a month or two when i buy my new house. It seems at the moment that with a budget of 2 - 2.5k there really is only one plasma worth considering - the V500 Panasonic.
    Is this correct, or have i missed something? Certainly thats what 95% of the threads seem to be about at the moment?
    Are there any other plasmas to be releasesd very (and i do mean very) soon that could jump ahead of the queue?

2. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new Samsung should be in stores in the next two weeks and may give the PV500 a run for its money (and at a considerable discount in price); but since nobody on the forums has seen one yet, it remains something of an unknown quantity.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210764

3. ikon66

ikon66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    why is this the only one to consider? Is it only because this site is so heavily biased towards Panny screens?

Although I have not seen the new panny setup I cannot imagine it could be that much better than my Pio xde. Also there will be a greater range of HD tv's coming out with more competative prices. Look at this forum when you need to buy and no doubt there will be a new kid on the block they are all raving about

4. bkny

bkny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I think the Hitachi PDP7200 is in the running, I ain;t no expert, but it seems that the advantage of the Hitachi over the PV500 are:

- its more HD ready, resolution of 1024x1024, whereas PV500 his 1024x768 (can;t remember the 2nd number properly)
    - can get pricematch from John Lewis and get 5 yr guarantee for £2K

disadvantages of pd7200
    - different PQ, but not sure if it is worse, can't quite figure out what the difference is as there are lots of conflicting opinions, but I think it has this Alis thing which people like/don;t like. I guess the only way to find out is to see both.
    - i think the panny has better speaekers, but by all accounts the pd7200 has pretty good speakers aswell

its all confusing to me ... hopefully someone more intelligent will come along and correct/add to my comments!!

5. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Well having read through the threads most people are talking about the Panny like its the best thing since sliced bread! There does seem to be a bias towards Panny on these forums, but usually such biases exist for good reason..........

6. svijay

svijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a PV500 owner (first plasma), I also made the choice based on this forum.
    However, I do feel there is a lot of hype and excitement about it
    (infectious!) which may or may not be warranted. There are many people NOT buying the PV500 - which may be a sensible decision for them. For example, it might be better to get an older and cheaper plasma on the understanding that you could then afford to get a complete new system in a few years time when HD is widespread and affordable. There is a lot of useful advice on this forum, but think carefully about your individual situation....you may find the money better spent on other aspects of your new home.

7. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thats because Panasonic has a large share of the UK market and their actual and potential customers tend to be more vociferous in their views.

The 500B is I'm sure a fine plasma and many punters will love it.

BUT it does have issues ..

Cosmetically - to my eyes it's ugly - too big and brash - but that's a subjective opinion. I prefer the minimalist look of a panel only design.

On a more objective note - I'm sure you'll soon see the first signs of discontent surfacing as people get to use them in a quiet home environment - they buzzz .... lots of this on the German AV forum - not much use to English speakers though!

And already one poster on this forum mentions fan noise - I didn't realise that the 500B had a fan!

Also the FreeView implementation is bettered by many external set-top boxes.

So the 500B isn't the amazing - stupendous etc etc plasma that people would have you believe.

Maybe the new Samsungs will offer a challenge - who knows?

Gussie :)

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Which is a polite way of saying that Panasonics tend to be purchased by a load of loud-mouthed cheap-skates :rotfl: :devil:

Only joking (before I'm flamed by dozens of Pannie fans), but I would agree that this forum is biased towards Panasonic :)

9. xenole

xenole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've view Pioneers for example and could hear the fan whirling around in those.

Must admit I'm not overly keen on the PV500 design........it looks a bit cheap and the back and not a fan on the curved bottom and silver strip. The plain black Pioneers look so much more stylish and how plasmas should be. Perhaps detachable speakers would have been useful.

Every screen has its pros and cons.
    Don't think the site is biased towards Panasonic. It's just that this is a brand new model and people are wanting to hear more about its capabilities and people tend to buy based upon good recommendations. I'm sure the Samsung will have a lot of threads about it too when its released whether good or bad, and so on......

Nothing much else plasma release wise until Sept/Oct at the earliest (new Pioneers) - which may beat the Viera, and people will go on about how great they are and the forum will be heavily biased towards Pioneers I'm betting!, with the usual people saying "wait, there's a new model of so-and-so coming out in 3 months which may be better" and so on ad infinitum.
    You know whatever you buy will be superceded a little bit down the line - sure HD prives will drop, but you'll probably still have the more expensive models with certain aspects people like - the Pioneers don't seem to drop much below £3K whereas you're looking at £2-2.5k for a nice 42" HD ready Viera at present.

10. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Not sure the forums are Panasonic biased really. We have had spells when Pioneer was all the rage and even for a time the LG ...cough cough.

The fact Panansonic keeps being mentioned does also reflect that they make a high quality and consistent product.

The new Viera PV500 is the latest kid on the block and certainly deserves the attention and possible auditions. Is it the best out there ? Well that's very subjective and will depend on many factors. It is good no doubt.

Further down the line there will be better models and they will be cheaper. I also viewed a Toshiba 37WL56 LCD yesterday for example with WXGA RES 1366*768 for about £1300 if I recall. Definately better & cheaper things to come from the LCD stable this year I'm certain.

11. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,506
    I think that most of the plasma screen companies making the all in one tv versions are more or less on an equal par now ,thats why theirs not much price difference now.

I've just bought the new hitachi 7200 and im very happy with my purchase ,but i originally had my heart set on a pio xde and the only other choice was a pana monitor and scaler but the cost put me off.

If hitachi wouldn't have brought out this new model i would never have bought an hitachi ,my old man has a pana 6 series monitor and i personally now cannot tell the difference in picture quality .And another point to remember is no matter how many demo,s you have it will look and feel different in your own home anyway .

So the best thing to do is go get the hitachi .hehe lol

;) :smashin:

12. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    I finally got to see both the Hitachi 7200 and the Pio 435XDE recently, and they are both as good as expected. However, the PV500 does everything they can do, picture wise, and adds proper blacks, which has been Panasonic's trump card for an astonishing amount of time. The Korean manufacturers have proclaimed great specs for several years, but never delivered on picture quality, and I wouldn't expect that to change overnight. Although this site does appear biased, it is also the best informed and most impartial source of information anywhere. Right now, I wouldn't consider anything other than a PV500. Apart from CRT projectors, they easily have the best picture I've ever seen.

13. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Nadgers

14. ajbird

ajbird
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had an old fujitsu a good 3 years back (cost me 3.5k!! ***) and i thought back then that the picture quiality was simply stunning and could not understand how dvd performance could be improved up on (sky was nafff but that was expected).

i am about to get a pv500 unless someone comes up with a seriously good reason not to. again i am sure the performance would be perfectly excellent according to my humble eyes - i even hope the sky performance will not be to bad this time

i dont really think this board is all that skewed i just pop in now and again when i need advice and have not bought anything i have not been happy with after taking that advice