1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Sub on the Denon 550 Active?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Brewerp, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Brewerp

Brewerp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know the sub on the DHT 500-SD is passive but I'm not sure about the 550. The main reason I want to know is because I'm not sure if you can have it running 6.1 out of the box or if anything else would need to be bought (apart from the additional speaker). Any advice on this would be great.

Also does any one have any general opinons on this system, I know the 770 got great reviews as well as the 500, but I've not heard much about the 550.

2. blithe502

blithe502

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Apothis

Apothis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sub on the 550SD is active. The passive sub on the 500SD is probably its biggest weakness imo. Not that its a disaster, it still sounds good, but just not as good as the rest of the system. I was considering upgrading my 500 with the active sub from he 550, but went a different route instead.

Apothis

4. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    To upgrade the 500 to 6.1 you would need to buy an active subwoofer and extra speaker.

To upgrade to 7.1 you would need a stereo amp with phono inputs and two speakers.

5. Brewerp

Brewerp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the information people. Off the back of that I've ordered a 550sd multi region from Peter Tyson. Thanks again!

6. Links

Links

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Could you post some impressions when you get it? I'm looking to get one in the next few weeks for Christmas but there are no reviews and few first hand experiences with the system.

:thumbsup:

7. Brewerp

Brewerp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll post my impressions on on this thread

8. Brewerp

Brewerp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right. Received the system from Peter Tysons (staff and service were both spot on!), it took approx 4 working days to arrive but that was due to the fact that they had none is stock and had to order straight from Denon.

Initial setup took about 2 hrs in total, which is longer than I expected but may be due to my inexperience in these setups rather than anything wrong with the instructions.

The picture quality is superb. I am using it with a 4 year old Phillips 28" widescreen CRT TV and the images are that good they appear to be almost 3D. I can only imagine that they would be absolutely knockout using the component connection and a suitable plasma/LCD TV.

Sound quality overall is also brilliant, although I haven't had the time to properly fine tune the speaker levels or the sub crossover frequency (they are all currently set to the default levels). My one slight niggle with the general sound that the bass is really powerful but I imagine that some fine tuning will resolve this. I have mainly tested the system with movies but the few CD's I have listened to also sound really good (this is relatively speaking though as my friend's separates system sounds allot better playing stereo CD's)

The system comes with 2 remotes (1 for the amp and 1 for the DVD) but all basic functions can be carried out from the main remote. One thing to note is that it's a bit of a beast and quite complicated to use (but some of the buttons do glow in the dark!).

My overall impression of the system so far is that it is brilliant, I have listened to several systems over the past couple of months (Teac Legacy 700 and 800, Pioneer NS DV-1000 and the Marantz Hollywood in a Box Take1) and IMHO this one is the best I have seen or heard (although all of the above systems were great, especially the Pioneer!).

One last thing it feel it’s important to mention is the build quality. On each of the units including the speaker package it is simply excellent!

I hope this is of some use to any would be buyers!

Phil.

9. Links

Links

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the impressions Brewerp. Hopefully I can order mine next week in time for Xmas (its my present from the missus :clap: ). One thing - is yours multiregion?

10. Brewerp

Brewerp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Links I forgot to mention that. Yes it is multi region. It cost about an extra £60. I think there is also a way to convert it with a firmware upgrade, but I probably would have blew it up or something so I thought I'd buy it already done. Hope it goes well. Phil.

11. Links

Links

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Excellent, thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

12. avh

avh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I thought that I'd try the Christmas sales seeing as my hi-fi broke just before Christmas and saw the DHT 500 in Currys and feel in love with the looks; I thought that I'd research on the web before buying (having no knowledge of home cinema). Looking at the Denon site I discovered the 550 and searching on that led me here amongst others. I've been to the links posted above and persevered with google search results through to page 3 (a mighty feat indeed as page 1 usually suffices). Anyway the upshot of it all was that I found the DHT 550 (Multi Region) for £549.95 with free mainland delivery! I’ve not ordered mine yet so I have no idea about the reputation of the site. However I’m going to ring tomorrow and see if it’s in stock, how long until delivery etc. I’ll let you all know how I get on. The link for those that are interested is http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2139
    Cheers,
    Andy

13. avh

avh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Sorry me again I was wondering if someone could tell me whether the DVD player can play VCD's? It's not listed in the specs (UK), but I've seen it listed on some foreign sites. I was wondering if the multi region hack also unlocked this feature? I’ve mailed the company that I mentioned above so I’ll post any news that I get too.

Regards,
    Andy