Is the standard HDMI cable any good?

co004

Standard Member
Hi,

I have the Elite and use the supplied HDMI cable to my 1080p Samsung. I'd like to know if there is any value in upgrading the standard HDMI cable? Anyone done this and got a noticeable improvement?

I don't have a problem with the Microsoft one, I just thought it might be one of those things where you don't know it was bad till it's good.

Thanks

nick501

Distinguished Member
As far as i know, because the signal is digital, you either get the signal or you dont, so the supplied cable will probably be fine.

I suppose if you talk to someone who's spent loads on a cable or a shop who sells them they'd tell you a different story.

stument

Distinguished Member
i use quite a pricey HDMI Cable for my PS3.

In a bit ill unplug it and hook it to my 360 and see if there is a difference.

co004

Standard Member
i use quite a pricey HDMI Cable for my PS3.

In a bit ill unplug it and hook it to my 360 and see if there is a difference.
Ah nice one thanks.

I have read that there are differences between cheap hdmi's and expensive hdmi's I just wandered where the Microsoft supplied one was at in the scale.

Barry the Brave

Novice Member
My official lead gives a great picture. I'm sure that you could get a lead for hundreds of pounds that beardy anoraks rave about as the second coming, and the only discernable difference would be noticable under calibrated testing equipment that costs as much as a car. It certainly wouldn't make the game/film any more enjoyable, as the difference will be tiny/inperceptable. IMO. I could be wrong.

Captain Speedy

As far as I am aware as long as you are getting a signal out the other end then a £1 cable is as good as a £90. Someone told me that it matters if you are going over 5 meters but I am only about 1 meter so have never looked into it.

gingerjedi

Novice Member
The supplied cable was rated as very good in a review I read, as long as it has good solid connections and is shielded where it should be then its fine.

The only time I have needed to buy an expensive cable was when I hooked up my sub, the original one was picking up of 50Hz buzz from the ring main.

I once read a thread about speaker cable that cost about £10,000 for 6 meters! I think the shop selling it aimed its products at gullible premiership footballers.;)

Update: I found the link http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657866&highlight=%A313%2C000+speaker+cable nearer £14,000 for 2x 3m :eek::suicide:

gingerjedi

Novice Member
Lol

There was another post where a high end speaker manufacturer forgot to pack cables for a HiFi exhibition, their solution was to use a stripped back power extension lead... If its good enough for them etc etc... :D

Barry the Brave

Novice Member

gingerjedi

Novice Member
Its the same with optical (Toslink) cables, I bought 3 for a tenner from Ebay and I get the same 0's & 1's as someone who spent £30 or more for just one, I guess very cheap cables may have poor connectors but as long as they do connect then they'll be fine.

co004

Standard Member
Thanks all. I'll stick with the MS one then. Didn't have a problem with it anyway, it was only that I saw a supposedly good expensive one reduced to a sensible price but I won't bother.

Now my next question... in a new thread.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom