Is the Sony XH90 worth my money or should I go for something cheaper?

DJLDomino

Novice Member
I'll admit to not having much technical knowledge. I want a television that deals well with gaming (particularly input lag), sports and movies. The Sony XH90 is really at the top of our budget and even then the missus is aghast at the price (to be honest she'd rather not buy a new one at all). Our current is about 7 years old, was about £300 so we're not looking for top of the range here.

Is it worth shelling out £769 when I'm not going to get all finickity about picture details? I saw the model on the shop floor and it looked really good with the PS5 which is why I was considering it. But is it worth a novice like me just getting something cheaper that would still make a good impression? Any suggestions?

vickster

Distinguished Member
What screen sizes are you looking at? 55”? What size is your current TV?
Do you both watch the TV head on or at an angle?
What is the source for your viewing? Will you ever watch anything in UHD? Or only HD?
Have you read through the guide?

Last edited:

DJLDomino

Novice Member
What screen sizes are you looking at? 55”? What size is your current TV?
Do you both watch the TV head on or at an angle?
What is the source for your viewing? Will you ever watch anything in UHD? Or only HD?
Have you read through the guide?
Thanks for the reply. Yes 55" but would be happy with 50". Current TV is a Samsung 43" just standard 1080p.

We have it mounted and watch straight on. I'm mostly thinking of the quality for a PS5 and perhaps 4k football down the line.

vickster

Distinguished Member
I don’t think there’s anything much else. Prices might come down if you can wait but it’s a risk in case stocks run out at the better retailers. If you buy from John Lewis and they or a price match eligible competitor bring the price down within 28 days of purchase, you can apply for a retrospective price match

Dodgexander

I'd aim for a high tier model if I were you, hold out with the purchase until you can save up for a TV with better HDR hardware like the XH95.

The XH90 has an unsolvable issue with blur in 120hz mode anyway, so in that respect you'd be better off waiting for the X90J to come down in price, even if you end up not being able to raise the budget.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom