1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is the Sony KF42SX300 any good?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by shoestring25, Nov 28, 2004.

1. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    is the Sony KF42SX300 any good? i have seen a good price for this of £1000 but i am unsure about his or wether to double my budget and buy a plasma instead.

having never owned a rear projection television before what can go wrong with them?

2. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    That model is a LCD Rear Projection TV.

If you're considering doubling your budget - why not look at the Optoma RD50? This is a DLP RPTV and therefore produces better pictures than LCD RPTV and the majority of Plasma's too - 50" screen too. Try getting a 50" plasma for under 2 grand!

The main thing that goes "wrong" with RPTV's is the bulb - which needs replacing somewhere between 6,000 -> 10,000 hours (which is about 3 and a bit years worth of more than average TV viewing per day).

Bulbs are about £300 - and can be replaced by yourself. However, once you've replaced your bulb, the picture quality is back to "brand new" quality (unlike plasma's where the phospers burn away over the lifetime of the set).

3. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    sorry to be thick but what is DLP RPTV what is DLP an abreviation of?

4. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
  5. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you see it for a grand???

6. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    well i a sony KF42SX300 and i have to say i was not impressed the screen was more black than grey and as such i could never get the picture just right colours were great and so was the detail.

a 42 inch tele was brilliant for watching dvds it was brilliant sky excellent but stuff recorded off my sky + the picture was poor (sky+s fault i know) and you can totaly forget about watching a long play video unwatchable!

and to help matters 4 days after i got it it broke and would turn on anymore went and got a full refund and now consider it a lesson learned.

i will wait till i find a fully HDTV compliant tele before i buy a 42 inch tv again.

7. tata

tata

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have first hand info that you can connect the Xbox360 to the VGA port of this unit and it works fine...with the Xbox360 VGA cable. This works fine.

I was wondering if someone has connected the PS3 to the VGA input (via component to VGA converter) of the Sony KF42SX300 succesfully?

Thanks,