Is the Sony KDL-52HX903 still a good TV?

GhettoBlaster

Novice Member
We currently have a Samsung UE40H6400 in the living room. It's fine apart from some slight pressure damage to the screen - rarely visible during normal viewing and it doesn't bother us most of the time. I've got the chance to upgrade to a Sony KDL-52HX903. Obviously, it's a much bigger TV and when new it was much more expensive. However, the Sony is now 11 years old, and it's four years older than the Samsung. Is this a sensible upgrade? Is the Sony still a good/great telly? I know the smart features will be out of date, but I'll be using a Roku with it anyway.

mikej

That's a tricky one. Both TVs look to have been well-reviewed when they were released but the Sony was 6 times the price of the Samsung (!) so you'd imagine it to be the better of the two, even after taking the age (and the fact that technology generally comes down in price over time) plus the Sony badge into account.

I would imagine the decision may come down to price - how much is the Sony ? Bear in mind that despite it's initially high price tag, at 11 years old, the Sony is beyond the expected lifespan of a TV so could fail at any point. You're also right not to expect the smart features of an 11 year-old TV to work well - you'll almost certainly need the Roku.

GhettoBlaster

Novice Member
That's a tricky one. Both TVs look to have been well-reviewed when they were released but the Sony was 6 times the price of the Samsung (!) so you'd imagine it to be the better of the two, even after taking the age (and the fact that technology generally comes down in price over time) plus the Sony badge into account.

I would imagine the decision may come down to price - how much is the Sony ? Bear in mind that despite it's initially high price tag, at 11 years old, the Sony is beyond the expected lifespan of a TV so could fail at any point. You're also right not to expect the smart features of an 11 year-old TV to work well - you'll almost certainly need the Roku.
Thank you. The Sony is £75, but not sure if it comes with remote and stand.

mikej

Thank you. The Sony is £75, but not sure if it comes with remote and stand.
Fair enough - I guess that's not a lot of money for a TV that originally cost over £3000 ! Are you able to see it working before parting with any cash ? That's probably the only way to know for sure if it's worth getting and that there aren't any faults.

A lack of remote is a pain, so it might be worth checking on the availability of replacements or whether a generic One For All-type remote would be suitable.

I'm afraid I can't comment on the TV specifically but you could try asking in the Sony TV forum ?

GhettoBlaster

Novice Member
Fair enough - I guess that's not a lot of money for a TV that originally cost over £3000 ! Are you able to see it working before parting with any cash ? That's probably the only way to know for sure if it's worth getting and that there aren't any faults.

A lack of remote is a pain, so it might be worth checking on the availability of replacements or whether a generic One For All-type remote would be suitable.

I'm afraid I can't comment on the TV specifically but you could try asking in the Sony TV forum ?
The owner has it stored in a lock up with no power so sadly I'd have to take it on trust (apart from his written word that it all works perfectly). Thanks again, I'll ask in the Sony TV forum.

tvdavid

My Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX508D came from a lock-up I was so over the moon it all tuned on and not a mark on it.
seems an OK price hope it works for you I never paid for my tv.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom