Is the Sony AG9 PS5 ready?

sam786

Hi guys, I have the Sony 55" AG9 OLED TV and with the PS5 coming this fall I am feeling concerned about the lack of 4K/120 as this TV does not support this.

I am a gamer and I have been thinking about purchasing the LG CX OLED because of this, however I am in two minds as I only got the AG9 last year. Any suggestions?

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Hi guys, I have the Sony 55" AG9 OLED TV and with the PS5 coming this fall I am feeling concerned about the lack of 4K/120 as this TV does not support this.

I am a gamer and I have been thinking about purchasing the LG CX OLED because of this, however I am in two minds as I only got the AG9 last year. Any suggestions?

Im not sure the benefits would be worth that unless you can get a good second hand price for your Sony then you may as well.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I have used 1440/120hz with gsync and blown away by it so i do imagine 4k/120/vrr is going to be insane upgrade for ppl who haven't experienced it.

ag9 still going to be a sweet as hell tv tho regardless.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
This is the only thing making me hesitate ordering the 77AG9 , just can't get my head round the lack of hdmi 2.1 , 4k/120

Tim2049

What benefits are you expecting to see from 2.1, just out of interest?

I keep hearing about it but can't help think it'll be one of those improvements that, in reality, is so incremental that it'll barely be noticeable. Eager to be 'educated'...

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
What benefits are you expecting to see from 2.1, just out of interest?

I keep hearing about it but can't help think it'll be one of those improvements that, in reality, is so incremental that it'll barely be noticeable. Eager to be 'educated'...

Use a gsync 120hz monitor.
even my 55 year old mother could tell the difference in shadow of the tomb raider on the cx.

one was vrr 120 gsync 1440p, the other was 4K/60ish

Its like the gaming running as if it’s Butter and ur a hot knife

But the ag9 price is so good and the sound is meant to be two tiers above the competition

Tim2049

Use a gsync 120hz monitor.
even my 55 year old mother could tell the difference in shadow of the tomb raider on the cx.

one was vrr 120 gsync 1440p, the other was 4K/60ish

Its like the gaming running as if it’s Butter and ur a hot knife

But the ag9 price is so good and the sound is meant to be two tiers above the competition

Ah OK, cheers for clarifying. Guessing my instincts were correct, I don't think I'd see the benefit here. I often barely notice any difference between 30fps and 60fps when gaming anyway. Not something I'll concern myself with, although I can appreciate that for pc gaming it may be more relevant...

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Ah OK, cheers for clarifying. Guessing my instincts were correct, I don't think I'd see the benefit here. I often barely notice any difference between 30fps and 60fps when gaming anyway. Not something I'll concern myself with, although I can appreciate that for pc gaming it may be more relevant...

If you can’t notice the difference between 30 and 60 then don’t worry about even getting the ps5 😂 you can save yourself a tonne of cash.

Tim2049

If you can’t notice the difference between 30 and 60 then don’t worry about even getting the ps5 😂 you can save yourself a tonne of cash.

Pretty sure there are other perks to the PS5 other than frame rates.

My point was more about the fact the difference between 30 and 60 isn't 'vast' in my opinion.

jmac

Distinguished Member
you may not notice but will your mummy notice it? :rotfl: :rotfl:

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Pretty sure there are other perks to the PS5 other than frame rates.

My point was more about the fact the difference between 30 and 60 isn't 'vast' in my opinion.

Yup, lots of other perks to the PS5 :) (better graphical fidelity, load times, texture sizes, multiple games being opened at the same time to name a few). I think the difference in FPS and motion resolution is big but if you don't, then you're lucky (will end up costing you less in the future).

Not trying to sound rude or be a knob.. just discussing and trying to explain why VRR and high FPS gaming is a big deal or at least might be a big deal to the majority of ppl who experience it. sometimes IMO your TV can lack a feature.. but u can still think 'oh that would be nice to have but oh well' as opposed to just downplay it (not saying ur doing this.. but i know many people do as its human nature)

To be fair, we don't even need HDMI 2.1. As far as I'm aware, VRR and 120hz @1440p are possible over HDMI 2.0b, its just manufacturers seem to not be bothered to bring those features to the table. Hopefully they do in firmware updates.

This is a 30 vs 60 video of RDR2

(vrr example altho really has to be experienced in person)

(consoles can dip to 20 commonly as they tax more gpu resources to graphics, saw it in TLOU and GOW)

If you don't notice it in the video then as I said, you are onto a winner and don't need HDMI 2.1. Even if u do see it.. its not the end of the world.. the games will still be playable. But to address OP's question, these are some of the features next gen gaming is offering with compatible displays and sadly most display manufacturers seem to be a bit behind on implimenting the tech changes.

TVs which dont have HDMI 2.1 are as PS5 ready as my nearly 5 year old panasonic 902B is :D

Last edited:

jmac

Distinguished Member
honestly your like a broken record @kenshingintoki
Go and start a hdmi 2.1 120fps appreciation thread and keep all your reposted YouTube videos in there.
why are you trolling any and every potential ag9 owner with all this non stop.. know one cares about your pc in your living rm, or what your mum thinks about it.
trying to come across as all helpful, taking digs non stop about out of date specs..

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
honestly your like a broken record @kenshingintoki
Go and start a hdmi 2.1 120fps appreciation thread and keep all your reposted YouTube videos in there.
why are you trolling any and every potential ag9 owner with all this non stop.. know one cares about your pc in your living rm, or what your mum thinks about it.
trying to come across as all helpful, taking digs non stop about out of date specs..

sorry if I've offended you but the OP has asked if the AG9 is PS5 ready and what features it might be lacking relative to gaming, and I've just responded in as much detail as i can it explaining that its lacking a few features which the PS5 can take advantage of.

someone else then asked what those features are and how they translate to performance, so I linked a few videos and tried to go into detail on how they work.

i even highlighted in one of my comments how excellent the AG9 sound is and its price.

Tim2049

Yup, lots of other perks to the PS5 :) (better graphical fidelity, load times, texture sizes, multiple games being opened at the same time to name a few). I think the difference in FPS and motion resolution is big but if you don't, then you're lucky (will end up costing you less in the future).

Not trying to sound rude or be a knob.. just discussing and trying to explain why VRR and high FPS gaming is a big deal or at least might be a big deal to the majority of ppl who experience it. sometimes IMO your TV can lack a feature.. but u can still think 'oh that would be nice to have but oh well' as opposed to just downplay it (not saying ur doing this.. but i know many people do as its human nature)

To be fair, we don't even need HDMI 2.1. As far as I'm aware, VRR and 120hz @1440p are possible over HDMI 2.0b, its just manufacturers seem to not be bothered to bring those features to the table. Hopefully they do in firmware updates.

This is a 30 vs 60 video of RDR2

(vrr example altho really has to be experienced in person)

(consoles can dip to 20 commonly as they tax more gpu resources to graphics, saw it in TLOU and GOW)

If you don't notice it in the video then as I said, you are onto a winner and don't need HDMI 2.1. Even if u do see it.. its not the end of the world.. the games will still be playable. But to address OP's question, these are some of the features next gen gaming is offering with compatible displays and sadly most display manufacturers seem to be a bit behind on implimenting the tech changes.

TVs which dont have HDMI 2.1 are as PS5 ready as my nearly 5 year old panasonic 902B is :D

Cheers, cool post. Appreciate your comparison videos too. I definitely see the difference, for sure. As you mentioned, those other advantages to the PS5 are generally more interesting to me personally.

60fps is certainly an advantage, i'll just never understand someone who would base that feature as a key criteria on a TV. That was the only point really.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Cheers, cool post. Appreciate your comparison videos too. I definitely see the difference, for sure. As you mentioned, those other advantages to the PS5 are generally more interesting to me personally.

60fps is certainly an advantage, i'll just never understand someone who would base that feature as a key criteria on a TV. That was the only point really.

Yup, I totally see where you are coming from. :)

I'm looking forward to the multi-game support for PS5... it'll be so cool to be able to log in and out of games quickly.

I've realised at some point in time we need to stop chasing features and just enjoy what we have too :) A game is still going to have awesome graphics, detail, artistic value, hdr, good story, great gameplay... I've been guilty sometimes of just chasing the best gear but not sitting down and enjoying the best content.

Apsilon

Senior Moderator
...And breathe. Anymore name-calling or petty arguments will see you both restricted from the thread. This is about a videogame console, not politics.

sam786

Thanks for all the replies.

From what I heard online is that most big AAA games will be running at 4K/60fps or 30fps which is fine, as the AG9 supports this.

However, there will be some games that will hit 120fps but at lower resolutions and this is what I am worried about. If it's 1080p/120fps that's fine as the AG9 supports this. But any resolution higher than this for 120fps than it will not work I believe

I do still like the AG9 and it's sound quality. So I will give this some extra thought.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

From what I heard online is that most big AAA games will be running at 4K/60fps or 30fps which is fine, as the AG9 supports this.

However, there will be some games that will hit 120fps but at lower resolutions and this is what I am worried about. If it's 1080p/120fps that's fine as the AG9 supports this. But any resolution higher than this for 120fps than it will not work I believe

I do still like the AG9 and it's sound quality. So I will give this some extra thought.

I think what the consoles will do is upscale the image to 4k so either way the TV will need to process 4k/120.

They do this with games at the moment on the PS4 Pro. for example, the 'performance' mode on games is till output as 4k but its just upscaled from 1220p or whatever resolution they use.

I don't think the PS5 will be using 1080p/120hz. They will likely use the highest possible resolution whilst hitting 120hz which will be a number a bit higher than 1080p. they then checkerboard render it to 4k. so for example 1200p/120hz. this gives the image that little bit more sharpness so its a fine line between FPS and graphical fidelity. I know for example driving games can probably do 1440p/120hz because they can basically just render the car at high resolution and motion blur a lot of other stuff.

it would be VERY nice if they gave the option of output resolution for high FPS games (720p/1080p/1200p) but I think thats too fiddly and not seemless enough for consoles. and they love doing checkerboarding.

Either TV is fantastic and you can't go wrong. I think the most sensible option is Maybe go to a PC store and try out 1440p 120hz + Gsync monitors and see if you like them or not... maybe you wont notice the difference in which case you can put it down on the priority list. If you don't like it, go Sony cos the sound is meant to be fantastic.

Edit: actually maybe the PS5 will allow you in the system options to output to 1080p. I know on the PS4 Pro, they made this quite difficult.. I can't remember the game but there is a game.. maybe kingdom hearts 3? that actually had more stable frames on the PS4 base than the PS4 Pro because it wouldn't set custom resolution.

anyway either way, have fun :)

Last edited:

jmac

Distinguished Member

Only you can make this decision :)
Don't get sucked into people shouting about specs you're never likely to use.
All from what I seen and read lately, ps5 is aiming for 4k 60fps, and 1080p 120fps

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Only you can make this decision :)
Don't get sucked into people shouting about specs you're never likely to use.
All from what I seen and read lately, ps5 is aiming for 4k 60fps, and 1080p 120fps

Perhaps but the xsx already has 4k/120 games announced
By the way I've seen a lot of posts complimenting the sound quality of the AG9 but I think I'm right in saying it's a downgrade on the AF9 in the audio dept is it not?

jmac

Distinguished Member
Perhaps but the xsx already has 4k/120 games announced
By the way I've seen a lot of posts complimenting the sound quality of the AG9 but I think I'm right in saying it's a downgrade on the AF9 in the audio dept is it not?

Sound wise, depends if you ask a af9 owner or sony :rotfl:

They redesigned the tweeters and claim to get the same sound quality out of 2 of these new ones that's equal to 3 of the old ones. Im sure both af9 and ag9 sound awesome.

xbox I have no clue about, not interested in it, op was asking about ps5.

sam786

It wasn't a downgrade as such, they redesigned the actuators so it gives a wider range of sound. I personally really like the sound and the bass.

I have been looking at the LG CX but the sound quality on that is no where as good as Sony's, it lacks the bass and has no sub woofers. So I will have to comprise if I get that.

Like I said, I have been fine with my AG9 for many months its just now with the next gen consoles coming this fall it has put me in a spin. The LG CX literally has all the new gaming features ready for next gen and game mode appears to work much better on that too.

I now have to decide in the next day or two whether to go ahead with the CX and sell my AG9.

In regards to what the PS5 is aiming for, 1080p/120fps hasn't been mentioned at all. A few devs have said that their games support 4K and 120fps but we know that this doesn't mean it will be 4K at 120fps.

Cupp

It's a no-brainer.

I own both an AG9 and an AF9. I want to pick up 48 inch OLED for the bedroom and at this moment I would rather wait (since I'm parcial to Sony) for next year than pick up a OLED without HDMI2.1.

Don't be fouled by people trying to justify their purchases. Full HDMI2.1 is a major feature, not one of those small incremental updates that we had in the last few years.

EDIT: I prefer the built quality of the AF9 over the AG9, everything else is nearly identical (don't used TV sound, so can't comment on that)

Last edited:

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
It's a no-brainer.

I own both an AG9 and an AF9. I want to pick up 48 inch OLED for the bedroom and at this moment I would rather wait (since I'm parcial to Sony) for next year than pick up a OLED without HDMI2.1.

Don't be fouled by people trying to justify their purchases. Full HDMI2.1 is a major feature, not one of those small incremental updates that we had in the last few years.

EDIT: I prefer the built quality of the AF9 over the AG9, everything else is nearly identical (don't used TV sound, so can't comment on that)

Apart from the new gen of games consoles I'm interested to hear why you think it's a major feature? My understanding is we're a long way off needing the bandwidth requirements to justify 2.1.

Last edited:

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Apart from the new gen of games consoles I'm interesting to hear why you think it's a major feature? My understanding is we're a long way off needing the bandwidth requirements to justify 2.1.

I think if you don’t play video games, its not a problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022