Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Is the Sony 705 good enough for a projector?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by djnsh, Sep 29, 2003.

1. djnsh

djnsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my trusty Sony 705 SACD/DVD player for around a year now however I will be buying the Sony HS20 projector when it is released at the end of October beginning of November.

I have three simple scenairos I am considering which I value you opinions regarding:

1. Keep the 705, and buy an RGB to component convertor and use until players fitted with the DVI type connector are released next summer.

2. Buy the new 730 machine which is PAL/NTSC progressive scan capable.

3. Buy the Sony 930 (which was a lot more expensive than the 705 a year ago!) however benefit due to its progressive scan and SACD capabilities. (Is this machine PAL progressive scan capable as well?).

SACD is important to me as I use this functionaliity quite a lot and therefore you can probably see my dilemma.

Your advice is appreciated.

2. Graham

Graham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Hi

If you do use SACD a lot I would recommend the Sony 930, it's a very good player indeed - great picture from component with a projector, esp. with Progressive scan (yes, it does both PAL and NTSC prog scan).

The problem with getting things like projectors is that you have to spend a lot of money to improve the picture in little steps - while progressive scan definitely makes the picture smoother, it's a relatively subtle improvement. However, once you do side-by-side checks you can definitely see the difference, so I reckon the 930 would be a good choice for you.

3. djnsh

djnsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your comments Graham. I think it is worth buying especially after reading some of your other posts on different topics regarding the 930's performance.

As far as having the DVI input on future players, based on a user review I have read in another thread of the Samsung 535 (I think?), I think this is an area where performance can only improve in the next year or so. However either way as you say, performance improvements will be subtle. The general consensus seems to be that a component progressive feed gives a more smoother picture than DVI - which sounds good to me for the moment!

Either way the 930 looks a pretty good DVD player and being a member of Sony's QS series, is probably a slightly better SACD player than the 705 I currently have.