Is the sky HD box only connected via HDMI

FizzyWolf

Standard Member
Is the sky HD box only connected via HDMI, or does it use other inputs as well?

Also what are channels bbc1, bbc2, and itv like? are they any better?

Mike999

No, the Sky HD box also has component, s-video and SCART outputs (not inputs). HD video is available over the HDMI and component outputs, but the s-video and SCART (RGB or composite) outputs are not high definition. Not quite sure what you mean about BBC1/2 and ITV, do you realise that there is a limited range of HD channels at present? The channels you name are only normal standard definiton channels. Have you looked through the Sky HD website (www.sky.com/hd) ?

FizzyWolf

Standard Member
Sorry I ment outputs, so it's just one cable that connects the sky HD box to your tv?

Do the SD channels work via a HDMI connection?

Thanks,

Fizzy

chriscja

Standard Member
Hi, all channels will work through Sky HD over the HDMI cable however those that are not in HD will just broadcast in standard def (I dont think it will upscale them).

Yep so all you need is the HDMI going to the TV or Component connection if you want instead of using up a HDMI socket.

http://www.pvrwire.com/media/2006/05/sky_hd_back.jpg

There's a pic of the back of the connectors just in case you wanted to see (sorry its in low res, its the only one I could find. But you get the idea)

TCM2007

Novice Member
Hi, all channels will work through Sky HD over the HDMI cable however those that are not in HD will just broadcast in standard def (I dont think it will upscale them).

It will upscale them; the quality of the upscaling is debatable.

btsam

it's time consuming but try all combinations for sd and hd at the various resolutions! honest it can make a difference, everyone assumes hdmi is the best connections but it might not be depending on your telly

i've founf so far that sd channels look better through RGB scart than component and hdmi!! upscaling or no upscaling and with or without de-interlacing (576)

it's worth a fiddle

s

Batdog

Hi there

I have a Denon 2307 amp (2 HDMI inputs) with HD-DVD and PS3 connected via HDMI. If I upgrade to Sky HD is there any disadvantage connecting via component? Are any of the functions limited (I'm thinking HDCP type issues with HD movies) or do you lose some worthwhile functionality with auto aspect switching etc?

Thanks for any help!!

btsam

hi,

not sure about the aspect ratio thing but from my experience so far hdmi and component all come through at 16:9 and i have to manually switch to 4:3 if desired (might be my tv though!)

with regards to component other than the hdcp issues which i think will only kick in later on, most people claim no degradation in picture performance although you won't know till you try it for yourself. bear in mind, hdmi maintains the 'digital' path whereas as component to the display will have to got through a couple of conversions digital-analogue-digital but again according to most folks you can't tell the difference

regards

s

Jay53

Btsam,
yep Samsung seem to ignore the aspect ratio flag being sent over HDMI even with the SkyHD box set to auto (720p and 1080i settings assume that you want all content to be 16:9 format so 4:3 channels are stretched to fill the frame). However Samsung do at least give us the option of manually changing it unlike a few other mfr's who always show it 16:9 format regardless and grey out the aspect ratio option.

As to HDCP - that's already in effect over HDMI on all bar the welcome channel 998. If the SkyHD box is connected to a non HDCP compliant TV it will show a message saying the TV is not HDCP enabled. What they haven't implemented yet is the channel content providers right to downgrade the component output. I very much doubt they will ever get around to doing this on the current box as Sky have no interest in limiting their subscribers viewing and are big/ugly enough to broker deals with the content providers to show them unrestricted. More's likely that they will bring out the next gen box without the component outputs and therefore implement it that way. Any existing SkyHD box owners will continue being able to view them untill such time as their box gets swapped under warranty (Sky are at liberty to provide a new box as a replacement so could be a component less one) or the owner buys a new one. Hence gradual phase out.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom