Is the sign of a computer virus, busted keyboard or something else?

TheBoingoBandit

I'm having a strange problem which started last night.

When I type certain characters, other characters are comipng up on the screen too. ie. If I type 'P' then 'I' comes up on the screen too.

I don't think it is a keyboard problem as some of the characters are far apart on the keyboard.

To understand how bad the problem is, I've copied this message below to show how it originally came out, before I corrected all the mistakes.

Yesterday AVG found and healed a virus, which I'm worried might have something to do with it.

Any ideas please?

I'm havping a strange piiproblem wphipch started last nipght.

When PI typie certapin characters,# other characters are comipng upi on the screen too. ipe. IPf IP tyipe 'P' then 'I' comes upi on the screen too.

IP don't thipn;k ipt pis a k;eyboard iproblem as some of the characters are far aipart on the ;keyboard.

To understand how bad the iproblem pis,# PI've copiiped thips message below to show how pit orpigipnally came out#, but PI corrected all the mpistak;es.

Yesterday AVG found and healed a viprus#, whipch IP'm worriped mpight have somethping to do wipth pit.

Any ipdeas iplaeas?

IronGiant

I'd vote a drink spilt onto the keyboard, do you have young children?

Try swapping for another keyboard, then you will know right away if it's the keyboard.

Dave

Steven

Senior Moderator
I'd vote a drink spilt onto the keyboard, do you have young children?
And if it was, it'll take a couple days to iron out, then it'll be OK, although affected keys will feel slightly different when pressed. I will take this opportunity to commend HP business class laptops for their build quality

kraiklyn

Foreign language keyboard layout selected rather than UK??

ush flynn

id have thought foreign language setting on the keyboard, The frenchies and germans dont use qwerty keyboards. Could well be this. Maybe all the virus did was change that for you

L

lisa burrell

now we know who typed this:)

cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

You see - speeling does not mitter at all!!!

the whistler

In windows XP (and probably other versions) there is an on screen keyboard under accessories / accessibility (try saying that after a few pints!.) Try this using your mouse. If this produces the correct characters, then I suspect your keyboard is faulty.

KeithO

id have thought foreign language setting on the keyboard, The frenchies and germans dont use qwerty keyboards. Could well be this. Maybe all the virus did was change that for you
Actually I doubt it's that - there's not that much difference between French/german keyboards and US/UK keyboards. I'm using a German keyboard to type this and the only difference I can see (not having a UK keyboard to hand to double check) is that the Y and Z keys are transposed (QWERTZ). French keyboard is similar (AZERTY)

johnny70

you sure nobody has moved the keys around? seen that happen, guy couldn't work out why A was Q and B was W, turned out someone (him) had moved the keys into alphabetical order on his keyboard:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Kind Regards

JOHNNY

BrokenArrow

Actually I doubt it's that - there's not that much difference between French/german keyboards and US/UK keyboards. I'm using a German keyboard to type this and the only difference I can see (not having a UK keyboard to hand to double check) is that the Y and Z keys are transposed (QWERTZ). French keyboard is similar (AZERTY)

I had a very similar problem with my PC a year ago, so I emailed a support line. They told me to check my computer's language settings, so I did. I can't remember changing anything but it definitely worked.

It was always the p/i keys and a few others.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom