1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is the screen too large and too high?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by keyser, Oct 6, 2003.

1. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I sit 14,5 feet(4,5m) from where the screen would be, and I´m gonna buy an Infocus 5700. I was planning on going with a 106" screen(which would give me a width of 93", aprox 1.9x that is my seat..which should be safe). From my calculations(which are limited), this should be a good size.

BUT when I went to the local dealer(which doesn´t have demos for me, so I can´t really find out what I like best), he though I was insane going that large and recomended going about 90" max.

What size do you calculate(and would prefer) for that viewing distance?? Are my calculations or the dealer off?

And also my ceiling is 2,5meters high, that would mean that the screen would be projected too high wouldn´t it. The top would me only about a 1/2 meter from the ceiling(and I sit 4,5m away and there is no back row)??

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,671
    14.5ft from a 92" screen should be fine, and you shouldn't see screendoor from there. I'm projecting an 84" wide image with my HT1000, and sit 12.5ft away (almost 1.8 x screen width). You're sitting a bit further, so that's better.

As for brightness, my 4:3 pj is in eco mode, has the iris shut and is only projecting 16:9, so at most I'm getting 600 lumens. To get the same brightness as my previous pj, I'm using a 1.2 gain screen. As your pj is 16:9 and not 4:3, you should have more lumens available, so I would think that 93" wide would be achievable and still provide a good image.

What I would suggest, is that if you're sure that's the pj for you, get it home, and see how big an image you can happily project onto your wall. Watch a few films to get a feel for it, then you can decide what screen to get.

I don't know the projector off-set, but you can get longer ceiling mounts so that the image can be lowered onto the screen if it is too high. This pj has digital keystone correction if you can't physically get it low enough and need to tilt it down. You need to know how good the digital keystoning is, and that it doesn't produce image artefacts. If that isn't an option, maybe mount it in the bottom of a coffee table?

Have you seen a DLP in action before? I would try to get a demo of one working so that you can be sure you don't see the rainbow effect.

Gary.

3. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was thinking of a 106" screen.

"What I would suggest, is that if you're sure that's the pj for you, get it home, and see how big an image you can happily project onto your wall. Watch a few films to get a feel for it, then you can decide what screen to get". I´ll follow that advice.

I haven´t seen DLP before, I´m gonna try and get a demo of the X1 first.