Is the Samsung SP67L6HX DLP-RP (720p) any good?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by hdtvconsumer, Mar 17, 2006.

1. hdtvconsumer

hdtvconsumer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey guys i need help. i live in australia and you can find the samsung sp67l6hx dlp-rp quite cheap, around $3500 AUD. This is the 720p model. what i need to know is, are these tvs any good. r they good for HD television viewing and very importantly how good are they for the xbox 360. In regards to gamming is there any ghosting or other problems and is the picture quality good. Does this tv take full advantage of the xbox 360. is this tv worth buying considering the cheap pricing? Please someone help me with info on the samsung sp67l6hx.
    thanxs

2. arfster

arfster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Yes, it's a fabulous price for a 67". Basically it's just the same as the other smaller L6 Samsungs, although as with any larger model you sacrifice a little brightness for the increased screen area. Nothing major though, and if you're set on a giant TV go for it.

The alternative would be a slightly better quality model around the 50" size, which would be maybe 1/3rd cheaper. This might be worth considering if your room isn't quite large enough - remember, you'll have to sit around 13 feet away from a 67" model.

3. hdtvconsumer

hdtvconsumer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanxs mate for that useful advice. do you think the xbox 360 will look great (HD quality) on the samsung sp67l7hx. is the gamming quality there??

4. arfster

arfster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I haven't seen this model fed HD myself, but it probably is rather good - every other DLP I've seen with HD looks fantastic, even the cheapest ones you can get.

By the way, if you haven't seen it in person, it might be worth doing so - the 67" is HUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGE and will really dominate a room something silly. A friend has one, and it seems to be eating an entire wall :D

One thing worth noting (imo) is that the only real advantage of really giant TVs is that more people can comfortably watch it at once. Compared to a 50", you have to sit a little further back for the same picture quality, and thus end up with the same viewing angle. If you regularly host 8-10 people for movie nights, the 67" is great. If it's for xbox or movies for 4, a 50" is a better choice imo - you can get them at about 2/3 of the price, and can choose a higher quality model. In particular, the Sagem D50 or the Samsung L7 are both excellent.

Edit: just noticed that $3500 Australian is £1400 - that's an insane price, cheaper than the 50" here. Buy it :)