is the samsung le40r51 worth buying?

jpb82

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hi

im concerned a 32" lcd maybe to small for my room
so im looking at 40" lcds i would like to go for the
samsung le40m61 but cant afford it
so im looking at the samsung le40r51 instead.
i have seen the 26" and 32" versions and they were excellent
but i have no idea what the 40" version is like
could anyone tell me is the samsung le40r51 worth buying and
what is it like with xbox 360 and dvds

thanks

Hey there,

I saw the Samsung LE40R51B last night at my friend's cousin's house and it looked extremely big. I have the Samsung LE32R41BDX and I can say that his just looked so much bigger than mine. I'm glad I went for the 32" model and not the 40" model as it would have been too big for my room. I would reccomend that you try and see the 40" model in a shop if you can just to get a sense of scale. Then you might be able to decide whether or not it is big enough for your room.

Hope this helps.

Whappers

I'm happy with mine.
It did look a bit big at first, but now I wish it was bigger! I sit about 9 feet away, and my room is 15' x 12', with the TV in a corner.

clockworks said:
I'm happy with mine.
It did look a bit big at first, but now I wish it was bigger! I sit about 9 feet away, and my room is 15' x 12', with the TV in a corner.

Same here, you'll soon get used to the size of it and somehow wish it was bigger. I think I needed to keep my old 28" crt for comparison.

I'm very interested in buying this set after seeing the HD pics in Comet. What I really want to know is if standard Sky is any good through an RGB scart and are you all impressed with the pics???

It really depends on the quality of the Sky transmission. My previous TV was a Toshiba 36" CRT "picture frame" set, a pretty good TV from about 4 years ago.
Some programmes look worse (minority channels), some look different, and some look better. Formula One looks better, the "jaggies" on track markings really bugged me with the CRT. No sign of them with the Samsung.
Sky movies seem to have more depth, looking more 3D, but solarisation sometimes appears on large areas of gently graduated colour.

Sometimes the Freeview broadcast of the same programme can look better than the Sky Transmission, proving (to me, anyway!), that it isn't the TV's fault.

On balance, I wouldn't say I'm impressed, but I'm not disappointed either. Happy seems like the right word.

I agree that hdmi is easier but I dont think we should get to hung up on it. My spheros is dvi and with a convertor cable and an optical digital output the result is the exact same. 1 extra cable required!! Most high end tv owners also use an amp for sound to gain the benefits of hdmi 5.1 digital sound. As hdmi switching is becoming increasingly common amps will drop from the current £600 mark. Currently HDMI sound is down converted to stereo in most TVs so whats the fuss? So try for a bargain older spheros ( cost me 5k 2 yrs ago!!) and you will not be disappointed

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom