1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Samsung DVD-R125 HDMI Upscaling Recorder released?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Solidstate, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Solidstate

Solidstate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
  2. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
  3. Solidstate

Solidstate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Many thanks for the link to the Manual - I always like to read these before buying a product - it gives you a good feel for how it all fits together.

DigiUK have had the DVDR125 on their site for some time on a "coming soon" basis -The fact that Comet are now listing it - seems to indicate that it is actually available now. I don't intend to buy it at Comet - like most people here I use the High Street as a showroom and then buy off the net.

Its a bit strange that there are only 2 places showing this product though.

I will have to go to a Comet at the weekend to check it out. I could ring up - but I'd probably get someone who doesn't have a clue what I'm on about.

4. TerryD

TerryD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought one of these from Comet yesterday morning - connected via DVI the plug and play setup worked instantly and I was flying.....so I thought!!!! After leaving it switched off for a while I put it back on and oops, no picture output. took hours of fiddling to get it back again. Same thing happens every time I switch off and back on again. It seems to be a progressive scan thing because I can quickly work around it now by pressing the button on the set which in DVI mode changes it 576, 720, 1080.

Haven't yet had chance to try it on component or any other output yet to see if the same problem exists.

Performance wise it seems fine, playback is excellent and recording is quite straightforward. I can't see any difference from live to recorded using Sky RGB input even with the cheap unbranded -RW's I had to hand.

Has so far played all DivX/Xvids I've thrown at it with an easy to use menu system. Also no problem with home-made DVD's again recorded on ultra cheap unbranded media.

Other than the one problem above (and that might yet be me doing something wrong) I'm quite happy with this impulse purchase.

5. Solidstate

Solidstate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Thanks for the info - let us know if you find a workaround for your problem.

Have you tried the Samsung 950 multiregion hack on this? -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1818928&postcount=8

It seems like the same machine (minus the recording features) to me.

By the way did you have a choice of colours or is it just available in Black?

6. TerryD

TerryD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem seems to be the TV failing to pick up the DVI output when it is already switched on and the recorder then activated. If I switch the recorder on first then the TV it auto-finds the DVI output by default so it seems I've cracked it!

I've no need for multiregion so can't help there. It was only in black, in fact there was only one in stock.

7. gas man

gas man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know much about these things, could I connect my surround sound speakers to this DVD recorder? and also will the lack of progressive scan make any difference to picture quality on my plasma?

If this is not suitable can anyone recommend a suitable recorder which my speakers can connect to. The only difficulty is it needs to be less than 27cm in depth to fit into my fireplace recess!!

8. TerryD

TerryD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dimensions are 430mm(W) x 250mm (D) x 59mm (H). Progressive scan is manually available in component mode and is automatically selected in HDMI/DVI mode.

Audio outputs for surround are the usual digital coxial and optical. It does not have the six RCA connectors so if you need those then this is not for you.

The Comet website says that it has neither progressive scan nor component output....oops (again).

9. gas man

gas man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you get an adaptor so that you can come out from the digital coaxial and convert to the 6 RCA connectors?

10. Solidstate

Solidstate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Nope, that needs a Dolby Digital/DTS decoder. (A box of electronics to convert the digital stream into a analog signal capable of being amplified and played through speakers).

Most people feed a digital co-ax or optical out into a Home Cinema Amplifier, All in One DVD/Decoder/Amp or compatible TV.

P.S. Anyone know how to change the title of this thread. If the mods are reading - could you change it to something like "Samsung DVD-R125 720p £199 HDMI Recorder Now Available." I think that a lot of people will be interested in this model given the price and features.

11. Dogma21

Dogma21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just bought one today from comet, so far very pleased with it.

DVD playback is good and that was through scart into my 20" crt.

Recording is very easy, just press the record button, it is multi format and records on DVD-R, DVD-RW and even DVD-RAM.

It looks pretty cool as well in the black.

I'm getting the Samsung PS42S5H hi-def plasma on Tuesday so will be able to give the screen and the dvd player/recorder a good test.

The reason I bought this is because it's a dvd recorder with HDMI output and upscales to 720p or 1080i, so it should look good on my new plasma.

Getting very excited, can't wait until Tuesday now to try it out.

12. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Now all we need is for Samsung to do a model with HDD and Freeview and we have the perfect unit?