1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Sagen 45 or the Sammy 50" better to buy?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mistycat, Mar 1, 2005.

1. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please help me know which one of these two I should buy. Is the picture and future proofing better on the Sagen or the Samsung 50" (which I love the look of) :hiya: Cheers. :lease:

2. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the Samsung L7 50", i has good picture but has much less light than the Sagem 50".

But the Samsung has HDCP and is future proof.

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    The thing I don't like about the Samsung is the fact the height of the TV is fixed by the pedestal so if you haven't got the furniture that puts you at the right viewing height you're stuffed. At least with the Sagem you can experiment with differnt stand heights to get the perfect viewing position.

4. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All good points, I haven't seen the Sagem myself but I seem to remember reading they have problems playing back NTSC Region 1 material, so if thats an issue bear it in mind.

Samsung have the 50 without the stand, I think its called the SP50L3HX its out in some regions. The Captain Kirk model uses a vertical image engine that is housed in the stand, hence no way around that.

Reviews and reports indicate some low level noise when uses HDMI (low level green blocking over blacks) and says 95% of the time HDMI pictures are great on the SP50 and but no stand storage!

5. Bruce1310

Bruce1310
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know the Sagems have no problem with R1 NTSC.

B.K.

6. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Everything I have read about the Samsung 50" both on this forum, the US forum AVSForum and all the magazines (and allowing for some of their bias and too short reviews) have rated it as excellent for picture quality in every respect. The "kirk" design is samsung's flagship DLP model in the UK. I've seen it up close playing Gladiator and with a dodgy analogue feed and it was impressive on both counts - it even made the analogue feed bearable!

NPM108 - i'm surprised by your comment about noise via HDMI as this is the first thing i've ever read that has criticised its PQ. Infact I read in one review that it overcame such green dot crawl and fizzing - which apparently is a standard trait of DLP sets.

For me the height is potentially the only issue (barring the price) but if you are happy with the styling then go for it. I think the SP50L3HX is the same design with the built-in pedestal but using the HD2 or HD3 chipset - checkout the samsung website.

You can get the Samsung 50" from www.unbeatable.co.uk for £2400 and that includes a glass stand.

I can only comment on the Sagem 50 - which first attracted me to DLP with its Hi-Def demo in comet - it was very impressive. However its been criticised for its very bright whites that lack detail. Also the it does not support HDCP or DVI/HDMI. However the HDCP and DVI inputs are present on the Sagem 45 and I don't know how it performs with whites - there are plenty of threads on this forum about it. Most people seem impressed with it. I've yet to see one in the flesh yet though - my local JL in Solihull will be having one on display soon and I plan on taking a closer look.

Cheers
    KableMan

7. DLPhopefull

DLPhopefull
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

I have had to turn the contrast down on my L7 by quite a lot so I can tell you that even in a bright room in daylight there is no problems with brightness.

On the height issue I have to agree that it is high. I lay down on my sofa with no effect to the picture quality, you have to get quite low for the picture to be affected. On the other hand it does dim quite a bit when you walk up to it and look down. This is maybe why they have given it the extra few inches?

8. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Thanks for that DLPhopefull - the height was something I was concerned about and my sofa is average height.

So are you happy with your purchase? How long have you had it and have you had any problems? Also what have you made of the PQ on various sources?

Cheers
    KableMan

9. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all. I have noted on pricerunner that they have set up things ready to compare prices on the sammy's replacement with a contrast ratio of 5000:1. Does this mean the price on the sammy will drop in the next month or so? Does the Sammy sit to high to lay on the couch and watch it. Thanks much.

10. DLPhopefull

DLPhopefull
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have had mine a couple of weeks now KableMan.

No smears or rainbows to report. I have seen the lip sync problem when playing one film via optical out from the Sky+ box on my 5.1 setup. One film in about thirty or so that I have tried, so this does exist as a problem.

I am very happy, SD Picture quality on SKY+ exceeded my expectations. I saw quite a few threads saying this can be a problem. (have not played with HI DEF through a PC yet) the only minor problem I have seen is the odd unnatural colour but I put this down to me getting used too such a vibrant output, the up-conversion can sometimes make the SD look so good. DVD through componant is just amazing, window quality. Xbox plays like being on a PC monitor now no dark area's at all, unless they are suppose to be of course.

I took about a week to get used to the bright picture even after setting the contrast down quite a bit. I find the sound output of good quality but lacking bass at volume fine if you don't want it very loud.

All in all I am very happy with the L7 and would recommend it to anyone.

11. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Thanks again DLPhopefull!

I'm glad you've not seen any smudges - that was a shocker on a TV of this price!

I think the lip-sync problem can be overcome with a receiver - i'm looking at the Yamaha 650 or 750.

Its very interesting that you highlight the excellent performance with DVD via composite (I guess you mean component with progressive scan?) as i've just read a post by TYN from before christmas where he says that the Samsung's component and RGB connectivity was appalling!!

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171592&highlight=sp50l7hx

I was very surprised to read this but relieved to see your comments. I think you should try a PC link up because the Hi-Def performance of this set is meant to be something special.

How have you got on with the various aspect ratio modes e.g. panoramic, auto-wide and wide etc as i've also read that this is a real problem.

Cheers
    KableMan

12. DLPhopefull

DLPhopefull
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

13. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    > This was from reviews in What Video and Widescreen and Home Cinema Choice, and confirmed by a friend who has one.

14. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bruce you are right, I was getting confused with the Optoma :oops: