Is the SA V+ box still being handed out?

eeper

Standard Member
Hi all,

Am thinking about a move from Sky to Virgin, but have heard all sorts of stuff about the SA V+ box. Last time I tried to switch the sales people promised me a Samsung box, but - surprise, surprise, when the engineer turned up all he had were SA boxes.

I am willing to try again and I had a feeling that the SA box is being phased out - has anyone received a Scientific Atlanta box recently?

essjay

Why don't you want an SA box ? Got two here and never had a problem with either.

I also have first hand experience of the Samsung boxes and these also have problems.

eeper

Standard Member
Other forums suggest that are faster as well as being smaller and IMHO better looking. The engineer who I sent away agreed that the Samsung was the better box,

nmdale

Novice Member
The Tivo box is being launched early next year (or very late this year), so I would wait until then if you can!

I find it unlikely that they are still using SA for new installs but not impossible; also if you don't want or need the PVR facilities have you considered the V HD box?

But as I say wait until Tivo launches unless you want to just give virgin some money?

eeper

Standard Member
Hi nmdale,

My tv is being wall mounted next week and there is no space in the ducting for an RGB Scart cable so I need to replace my ageing Sky+ box. The options are a Sky HD box or Virgin V+ box.

The lady on the phone at Virgin told me that I would be allowed to upgrade to TiVo even within my contract period.

nmdale

Novice Member
Hi nmdale,

My tv is being wall mounted next week and there is no space in the ducting for an RGB Scart cable so I need to replace my ageing Sky+ box. The options are a Sky HD box or Virgin V+ box.

The lady on the phone at Virgin told me that I would be allowed to upgrade to TiVo even within my contract period.
I see; I didn't say you wouldn't be able to upgrade to a Tivo, I just said you would have to pay for it, the price is currently £199 for the box and £40 install fee; with possible discount for various packages and what not.

The reason for my comment was that I thought you had to pay for a V+ box & install, but I just checked their website and infact it is just £49 for the V+ box as they are offering free install if you take broadband, tv and phone and six months half price and £50 credit.

So considering all the above, I would switch to Virgin now, risk getting the old SA box, and upgrade to Tivo when it comes out, since you have offset most of the cost with the current offers; again check that you will defintaly be able to upgrade to tivo, and if so you are win win:thumbsup:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Other forums suggest that are faster as well as being smaller and IMHO better looking. The engineer who I sent away agreed that the Samsung was the better box,
It is faster to load the EPG amd swop channels with the Samsung V+, but the Samsung box is less reliable and prone to failure. The SA box's upscaling capabilities also appear to be superior to those of the Samsung and the native HD ouput of the SA box is no worse. The SA box is better built and the Samsung feels cheap and flimsy in comparison.

If you upgrase to TiVo in the future then you will be charged another £200 and £40 for the installation.

Last edited:

t11rmh

I have had three SA boxes and now I am on two Samsung boxes. The reason I do not have the SA's anymore is that they all failed for different reasons over time. The Samsungs have not failed once yet.

If you want to record and watch a lot of HD content then the Samsung box is a much better bet. On my SA's if I watched a HD channel while recording a HD channel the box would reboot itself about 75% of the time. The SA's were o.k. when we only had one HD channel.:facepalm:

Samsung is the better box by far. Faster and more reliable.

Trending threads

Top Bottom