Is the qn90a right for me?

kolofan

Hi,
I am just finishing up home renovations and its time for a new TV. I have been saving up and was willing to spend £1200 on a 65 inch TV but now I have seen the actual space and been reading these forums I think that would be overkill. The TV will be about 2.5 to 3m away and the room is averagely bright. 48 to 50 inches is the max size I can sensibly fit in the space.

I am coming from a standard 32 inch Samsung led from about 7 years ago which I actually think is pretty still good to my eyes. Watched the rugby last night and was plenty happy so I'm certainly no expert with super high standards.

I have a young family and most of the watching is cartoons, freeview and Disney movies. I am a movie fan and so fancy oled but I mostly have a 1080p library and don't get a proper movie night all that often. I'm more likely to be watching strictly on BBC than dune in 4k. We play wii u still although i guess my 6 year old will be wanting an upgrade at some point but that's likely to be to a switch not ps5.

I have access to a deal on the Samsung qn90a direct from them that is £600 for 50 inches. This seems good to me. I spent last watching reviews on YouTube and got a bit concerned about blooming and dirty screens but I think that to me that stuff won't register.

Any thoughts on my choice? The support on this part of the forum is amazing by the way

catflap2

Standard Member
Will a 65” TV physically not fit or you just think it might look a bit large?

50” sounds a bit small to me to sit 3m away from unless there is no other choice.

kolofan

This is the space. The tape on the floor is pulled out to 2.5m

I don't want the whole room dominated by a huge tv to be honest. I'm probably not going to wall mount either.

20220312_110606.jpg

20220312_110239.jpg

catflap2

Standard Member
If you are not wall mounting how wide is the piece of furniture you will be placing the TV on? That will probably determine how big you can go as you don’t really want to overhang that. But I’d go as big as you can in those limits as I don’t think it would overpower the rooms as long as it’s no wider than the furniture.

kolofan

Yes, thats my thinking too. 50 inch TVs are about 110cm wide which is about right.

I'm less interested in guidance around size, more the model. It feels like the qn90a isn't perfect but it feels like good value at 600 quid. Wondering if people agree or if they would point me elsewhere?

pastrybloke19

50” size is a bad option, tvs at that size are generally more expansive or have worse tech (or both) than their 55” counter parts.

Much better idea to go for 55”.

kolofan

Thank you for the feedback. Clear thumbs down on the 50 inch option.

I think 55 would be ok. The qn90a comes in at £700 or the qn95a at 850. This is alot cheaper than the LG c1 at about £1100 which is why I'm looking at the Samsungs. Any views on the actual models rather than the size would be really appreciated. Have see alot of love for the Sony sets but I really don't like their stands and I think they are a bit more expensive too

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom