Is the PW7BX HD ready?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by giantteabag, Oct 25, 2004.

1. giantteabag

giantteabag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the pw7bx (silver) with vga input to the pc input from a JS converter & the pq is great.
    I the manual it lists for the pc input, loads of compatable input signals, some which produce 720p & 1080i.

My question is what would I have to do to display as best a pq when HD is broadcast? Does the panny software do it all or do I need different kit?
    Clearly I am confused. One person said my screen would display part but not all of an HD signal...this again makes me confused!
    Please help!!
    Thanks.

2. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Hi giantteabag - 720p or 1080i high definition will work with your plasma without the need for modification. The plasma will scale down the 720 lines of a 720p signal to fit the 480 lines your plasma has. So while this isn't showing the higher quality signal using all it's lines, it is still gaining the benefit of higher bitrate and minimal compression the signal offers. This will mean for a picture many times better than DVD!

If you search this, and the video processing and HDTV forums for terms like HDTV, compression, resolution, bitrate, compression etc you should find plenty of posts on the subject. However I do warn it can get both complicated/confusing, and can lead to you becoming extremely nitpicky of your current non-HDTV picture - so much so that you may forget to enjoy it for what it is!!!!

3. giantteabag

giantteabag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Liam,
    So if sky output a 720p signal, would I still be able to use my current set up:
    Fully wired RGB scart to scart from sky+ into JS RGB/VGA Converter then VGA into plasma pc input?

4. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    If you replace your Skybox with something HDTV compatible, the signal will be component video or DVI/HDMI. No consumer devices use RGB scart to send HDTV.

So, you will need a component video run (which can be done with a VGA-3RCA cable to the VGA socket), or buy a HDMI board and lead. However the jury is still out on whether the HDMI socket will work with UK HDTV at 720p (50Hz compatibility question).

5. giantteabag

giantteabag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liam, does this mean my JS converter & vga/vga cable will become redundant when HDTV is broadcast by sky?

6. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Yes. Although you may still need it for any other RGB scart sources (DVDr etc). Since Sky HD isn't due till 2006, with a rollout that is going to take months, and a price that is bound to hurt at first, I imagine you will get plenty of worthwhile use from the converter!!!

7. giantteabag

giantteabag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice Liam.
    Teabag.