1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the pv500 a flawed design?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rudy, Oct 14, 2005.

1. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know the majority of these are fine (and all plasmas buzz apparently) but after reading the posts, was it rushed out on the market too quick?

2. dando

dando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think buzz is the wrong word to use. It hums because its electrical! If you can hear it to the point where it disturbs you, then:
    a) Are sitting too close to the screen
    b) The volume is far too low
    c) Obsessed with the smallest sounds
    I believe plasmas were made to watch films on and to give you that cinema feel, so put on a DVD, turn up your surround system, and relax!

3. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    d) It's faulty. :p

I have two Panasonic plasmas : TH37PE30 and the PV500 - my PV500 is most definitely humming too loudly. The only way to hear a hum or buzz from my PE30 is to go around the back with one of those little gadgets doctors use. My PV500... if only!

I am not obsessed with the smallest sounds, if I was I wouldn't have a dog, the volume isn't too low because Rock 'n' Roll Star by Oasis deserves to be loud and I'm not sitting too close to the screen because that'd be silly!

It obviously isn't a problem on ALL PV500s by any means, but some certainly are dodgy - mine is anyway.

Stu

4. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Will panasonic exchange ? i heard they won't for screen burn issues

5. dando

dando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I still believe that plasmas are for watching dvds with the surround set-up turned up to emulate a cinema feel. With this in mind the hum is not audible.
    Fair play though, some have been dodgy.

6. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: Well have to say mine defo does'nt "BUZZ!" :rotfl: Only if i go right up to it and listen to the back of the tv do i hear anything :rolleyes: Although i have had another issue (thats a different thread) with it although minor,i'm more than pleased with my purchase and would go for the same again:smashin:

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    There is some variation in "buzzing", but then there is also variation in the environment the screen is in and in the two models Stu has mentioned. Buzzing is much more noticeable when the plasma is wall-mounted onto a hard surface which reflects, almost amplifies the sound out toward the viewing position (some cunningly placed absorbive material will help). And the PV500 is driving 50% more pixels than the PE50... it's a different power supply doing more work so is going to be louder to a degree.

But Dando does have somewhat of a point. You cannot expect a plasma to sit sliently in your room and not make a peep, it is an electrical device and will make some noise. Just the same as the PSU on a normal CRT TV buzzes, and thankfully with plasma you don't get that horrific CRT gun whine that pierces the room whenever a TV is on!!

8. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you watch insect documentarys then you should'nt notice any buzz at all :thumbsup:

9. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D Does spiderman count :devil:

10. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    only with the surround sound turned up to emulate a cinema feel

11. goon525

goon525
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've clearly been very lucky, but mine just doesn't buzz audibly. I watch/listen to classical music and I promise I'd notice it if it was a problem.

12. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    What piece of kit do I need to buy to emulate the swines who inevitably sit behind me talking; the git who doesn't turn his mobile off and the person with the world's noisiest bag of sweets?

13. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Flight of the bumble bee? :D

14. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Normally I'd have commented on the PE50 (30 in my case :)) doing less work than the PV500 - so yeah, that's a fair point ;)

Obviously a plasma will make noise - that's expected. But hearing a hummmmm when watching a film at normal to even higher than normal volumes can't be right, can it? The PE30 I have is literally almost dead quiet - but then again the PV500 is indeed closer to the wall. But it's a hell of a lot quieter when you go behind the TV as well. I don't think the PV500 is any worse than others when working well, I just think my particular set is faulty :)

Stu

15. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    maybe panasonic should include a free swat to get rid of the buzz :D

16. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D you can get them from the pound shop :rolleyes: panasonics own will be triple the price :devil:

17. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I posted something similar to that after an evening of fumingness :p I was trying to watch the Snooker extra thing and it was literally like being sat in a room of Bees on Death Row... too much buzzing and humming, turned it off in the end and watched it on my 14inch Grundig, worked a treat :thumbsup:

Stu

18. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you can notice it sitting 10 feet away, send it back.

As far as the thread title is concerned, I can't hear mine unless I'm peering over the top of it. So, no - it ain't a flawed design, just there are some flawed implementations.

19. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    That hits the nail on the head for me :) Spot on. Shame I got a dodgy one. lol

20. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    it ain't a flawed design, just there are some flawed implementations.[/QUOTE]

What is the difference????

I'm a product designer by profession so this kind of thing interests me( a bit geeky i know). I want to get one of these screens when I know they have sorted the probs.

21. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    but generally there arent any problems, dont be fooled into thinking just because a few on this forum complain that its a design fault, its just like anything else, some things just dont work as they are intended.

22. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Confused :confused: Isn't that exactly what a design fault is ? :D

23. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds like the new ipods.

the electronics in a pv500 are obviously not up to the job, hence audible(from the recommended viewing distance)buzzing on a number of screens.

Some screens are prone to image retention and in a few cases, even screen burn(look on this site)

Plus contrast probs.

This alone is not enough to put me off buying one, but i hear Panasonic are reluctant to replace in some cases

24. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically every electrical product that has been produced has had some faults with some of their models whether it be a tv,cooker, kettle etc:the list is endless,people are constantly taking goods back or renewing them because they have developed faults....nothing is perfect :rotfl: .You could buy a new car tommorrow and could have nothing but trouble your freind could buy the same car and never have any trouble at all :( Its the same for everything...If you take into account how many models panasonic have sold (and it must be quite a few seeing as they are never in stock and as soon as they are they are sold out again) and how many people have reported faults on these threads (a couple of dozen)....i think you will agree that panasonic models are very reliable and the good ones easily outway (by a stupid amount) the bad ones..If you live your life saying i'm not buying that cos someone says they got a faulty one,you would never own anything :eek: cos everyone knows someone that has purchased something thats faulty :D

25. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, but if a model suffers from the same repeating fault(s) then that in my opinion is a flaw in the design of the product, like the cracking screens on the new ipods.

No?

26. rover2002

rover2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Intresting thread! First there is noise with the new Pioneers (screen noise), and now actul noise from the panny(behind panel).

Time for a smiley :rotfl: :rotfl: :lease: :thumbsup:

27. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cracking screens on the new ipod were being reported in their thousands :rolleyes: you've heard a couple of dozen people moaning about their panny's...you can't justify comparing the two as it just does'nt make sense :confused:

28. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Over 1 million i pod Nanos have been sold around the world since launch- fact

This may have something to do with the amount of complaints.

29. mattliley

mattliley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just think about it... If a plasma has 50% more pixels, then the electrical board at the back of the plasma has to work 50% harder... The PV500 is an awesome machine and i've had a couple of customers on the phone who can just about notice it when the volume's dead low, but i can hardly notice mine buzzing at all... And no, Panasonic won't replace your plasma if you give it screen burn. It's not a mechanical fault in the machine. If a plasma comes out of box with half the pixels missing, or (if after watching for a while) the colour just goes, then yes. Panasonic will replace your plasma if the fault can't be fixed with the retailer you bought it from...

Hope this helps...

Matt.

30. mattliley

mattliley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently, iPod Nano and the Video iPod have volume limiters in them and you can't take them off? A bit like AVLS on sony minidiscs MP3 players etc but you can take that off on the sony... I love my 40Gb iPod 4th gen. it kicks rear. In fact, it's playing Jurassic 5 in the shop right now!! :D