• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is the Pioneer LX71 overkill for my needs?

spearce8

Hi,

I have the Pio 500A and in need of a Blu Player, yet I won't have a sound system, I don't see the point in a "cheapish" machine now, it's just I don't know what to do, is there a player with the high specs of say the LX71 PQ wise, but skimps on the Audio side?

Or should I just continue with my PS3 for now and wait, I would like MR for both Blu and SD.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Or should I just continue with my PS3 for now and wait, I would like MR for both Blu and SD.

Hi. :)
MR for SD is usually not a problem but BD will need mod chipping,some players here already done. (BD60 looks like the best buy at the moment)
All the best.

Last edited:

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I have the Pio 500A and in need of a Blu Player, yet I won't have a sound system, I don't see the point in a "cheapish" machine now, it's just I don't know what to do, is there a player with the high specs of say the LX71 PQ wise, but skimps on the Audio side?

What are you looking to improve?

spearce8

What are you looking to improve?

The PQ is paramount for me, the PS3 was always a stop gap, but surely a high end Blu machine (LX71) would provide better PQ over, a Games machine, or I'm I underestimating the PS3, I've never seen a dedicated blu in action to compare.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
There is a lot of differing opinions whether there are any PQ improvements when moving from a PS3 to a dedicated BR player. If you are only interested in the PQ over HDMI then the Pioneer 51 should give you the same PQ as the 71 but £200 or so cheaper.
Both the 71 and 51 can be made MR for SD with a simple harmony remote hack although making BR MR is more difficult as Kingfats says.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
The PQ is paramount for me, the PS3 was always a stop gap, but surely a high end Blu machine (LX71) would provide better PQ over, a Games machine, or I'm I underestimating the PS3, I've never seen a dedicated blu in action to compare.

There's quite a difference of opinion on the forum regrading Blu-ray PQ between players and not just with the PS3 either. :)
From subtle,small to even big differences being reported.

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
The LX51/71 certainly offer a lot more picture adjustements than most players and 3 user memories to fill as well.

To my eyes, on a KRP-500A, the 51FD offers a bit more detail than say a Sony S350, and better contrast. Now yes you can adjust the TV to help compensate, but it's far better to be able to adjust on the player. The big downside of the 51/71 compared to your PS3 will be speed. They'll be much slower, and have no network access and therefore firmware updates are a bit more fiddly. However, I could cheekily add that at the rate Pioneer are currently delivering firmware, you won't have to worry too often, which is another downside to the Pioneers.

A subscription magazine in the US that now has the respected Stacey Spears reviewing for them has commented that the new Panasonics are very good for getting the maximum colour detail from BD's, and rates them a step up from a PS3. I haven't seen them though.

The Denon's offer what I can only describe as a very clean noise free picture compared to other players. There's debate as to whether this is because they enhance the image or just get a more accurate one off the disk. However, it is a pleasing image. The current Denon's 2500/3800 are nearing the end of their model life (as are the two Pioneers) with new ones due soon, and a more upmarket universal due in October. If you wanted analogue audio out, then you'll find plenty who will praise the 3800's analogue outs, and it's possibly at this point in time the best BD player available for this.

In all honesty with new Sonys, Pioneers, Denon's and at some point this year the Region B Oppo, you might want to wait for the new models and some user feedback unless you can get a great deal on the outgoing models.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom