Is the Pioneer DV-575A really that good?!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Barbarian, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Barbarian

Barbarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently own a Pioneer DV-717 which is now getting a bit long in the tooth and plan to shortly replace it. Considering I paid the best part of £500 for it some six years ago, and the DV-575A is selling for around £150, am I likely to notice a big difference in the picture quality?

Does a budget price no longer mean poorer quality? Is the DV-575A now a far superior product to the DV-717?

2. internetuser

internetuser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    I had a P717 and replaced it was £50 dvd player a few years ago and the pic quality was better than it, plus no lip sync issues.

got a P575a now and its a far better player than the 717, not are nice controller tho.

575 can be got for 104 from richer sounds ins tore btw

3. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    the 575 suffers from flicker with some (prob most) CRTs
    the toshiba 340 is as solid as a rock
    but they have their own pros n cons...

4. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the 470,as I don't need SACD/DVD-A,I had a £500 Loewe,I find the Pioneer much better in all aspects,slow respone to RC,but very good picture for the silly price.

5. timc3

timc3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am really liking mine, but then again we need a second so I might use it for the second and get something else.

6. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi

I have a 3910 for pj and a 575A for the crt for the kids to abuse. And would like to say that the 575 is a cracking player and I think, one of the fastest players in operation! It skips chaptors like a cd player. Amazing!! My Denon is a donkey compared to it. The picture is better on the 3910 though :-0

CH

7. DownToTheBone

DownToTheBone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    £99 in store multi-region at RS ... picked up mine yesterday

8. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've done exactly the same and bought a 575 to replace my old 717....although I still have it of course as it still works fine :D They don't make them like they used to.

The remote from the 717 can be used on the 575 too with the exception of the jog dial. Good news as the 717's remote is quality and back lit.

9. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I had a 575A for about 4 months but got rid of it because I was having problems. If you have a Toshiba or Panasonic CRT and want to connect via RGB scart then you shouldn't really consider this player. I connected it to my Tosh CRT and the horizontal banding was persistent and very noticable even from a long distance. On top of that certain discs would stutter and sometimes freeze altogether. I had this problem with That Peter Kay Thing, Welcome to the Jungle and other discs. There was definitely nothing wrong with the discs as they work fine on my Denon 2910, Panasonic NV-VP30, Xbox and PC but unlike a lot of these freezing problems I could get it to freeze without fail every time I put these discs in.