1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Pioneer 717 getting old?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Hanzo, Feb 28, 2001.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello people!

I have been wondering if I should purchase a Pioneer 717, I have found a company selling a multiregion model for an amount somewhat bellow the price of two Pioneer 535. My main concert about this is that that this model is getting old and that maybe I should check out some of the newer models. What do people here think, are there some advantages with the newer models? And if so, what would you recommend in this price range?

Kind regards,
    Hanzo

2. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i just got my parents a 717 for 300quid from techtronics, picture and sound wise its better than the 530, (a 535 without optical out) i had in the house for a while. HOwever, the player has glitches, it does not like being turned on and off quickly, if you do it with the remote you have to wait about 10 seconds for, i presume, the RAM to clear in order that it turns on correctly. THe 717 has much better build than the cheaper, newer models, but is not so refined in the menu department, and i don't think so quick as newer players. I chose this for them purely on the basis of it being pretty similar to my 919 which i like and i cannot compare it to low down sony models.

one final thing, it wouldn't play on of my parents CD's, Annie Lennox, can't think why, technically.

------------------
    Assumption is the mother of all errors

member formerly known as hank hill, then Jesus H
    but got bored so it became some latin sh*t

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    The 717 is legendary, an absolute gem of a player. It is leagues above the 530-535 in terms of quality & build. Picture & Sound are fantastic, I use mine as a the main source in my HIFI setup and have no complaints at all. ALVB is correct though about the temperemental nature of some CD playback - I have a disc which jumped at a certain point - Groove Armada Remixes, I copied the CD on my CDRW PC and the copy plays perfectly no skipping. My 717 is chipped and I've never had any probelms with any R1 & R2 including a RCE R1 - The Patriot. If you get one for 300 quid snap it up, I thought I was getting a bargain for 400.

4. Hanzo

Hanzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I could get it for 300quid, I would in a heartbeat! I live in Norway, and here I can get if for 6400,- Nkr, while the 535 is 3500,- Nkr, so it's almost twice the amount. But it's region free with a warranty, and living in a sone2 contry, this means a lot to me.

I have only heard nice things about it, but my main concert about it is that it might be worth checking out some of the newer models from, say sony? What does people here think, should I get it, or is there other players in the same pricerange I should check out?

5. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bear in mind that the 717 suffers from Pioneer's notorious lip-synch problem. I believe their newer models have rectified this flaw. The poor audio synchronisation can be quite a major distraction for those sensitive to such things.

Adam

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah the Pioneer is pretty **** in that respect.

7. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only have had synch problems on the very very early films such as Face Off and Con Air. Never since.

Picture and sound are superb. Bargain at 300 squids!

------------------
    "You're a big man but you're in bad shape and I do this for a living, so behave yourself"