1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Pioneer 575 fussy?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by hambo, Jun 7, 2005.

1. hambo

hambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm new to all this AV lark and have found these forums a great source of useful advice - keep up the good work!

I thought I'd made my mind up that I was going to but the Pioneer 575 (£99 from RS & Multi-Region too!). However I did one last search on this forum and came across a thread where the poster was suggesting the 575 wasn't great with "non-retail" DVD's.

As my Dad has been going to Shanghai once a month for the last few months I have amassed quite a collection of DVD's that are, shall we say, likely to be produced to a lower quality standard than those you would buy at HMV in Oxford Street!

Are there any 575 owners out there who can put my mind at rest? Is the 575 going to start skipping all over the shop with DVD's written at faster speeds than UK retail discs? Would I be better off with another DVD player given that the vast majority of my DVD collection is non-retail and comes from China!?

Any comments/suggestions most welcome.

Hambo

2. giger

giger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My brother just bought one from RS and it plays all of his +R and -R without any probs. Like you, he has quite a number and he tried about 10 as soon as he got the player home, not one hiccup so far...

3. hossacd

hossacd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have a 575 and it has never failed to play a disk. I have used some DVDs that have been burnt at 16x without a problem.

If you plan to play avi files, it has played all divx files OK the only problem playing xvid files is that if the original avi is encoded with a packed bitstream (which is the default) the playback will jump slightly (you could still watch it but its not a smooth playback with anything moving fast). Although it can be sorted easily by using mpeg modifier to unpack the bitsream before putting it on a disk this only takes about 30secs, this affects most xvid players but a couple of newer models can now play the packed bitstream OK.

4. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    DVD pirates use the lowest possible quality recordable dvds, hence playback difficulties are encountered on some players. Mainland China region 9 jobbies also tend to be burnt on the cheapest, nastiest plastic - their lifespan and performance is pretty poor as you can imagine.

5. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 575 (from Richer) is a right slag, it never says no...

The only thread I've ever seen on here with references to the 575 not having trouble the person was burning 8 speed disks at 12 speed and I think that was the real problem

PS True retail disks (as in DVD not R/RW) are not written, they are stamped.

6. TarPot

TarPot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    The 575 also plays +R DL too.

7. thekingbeyond

thekingbeyond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    Ive never had a problem with any media on the 575, has played everything,you are better of with good quality dvd-r or dvd+r and keep to normal burning speeds. I use ritek g05 dvd-r 8x with no problems, ive tried 12x and 16x on the same and they burn and play ok

8. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Really :eek: :eek: :eek:

DVD perforations are very small - measured in nanometres, yes? How the hell do they stamp them physically???

Unless by stamping, you mean they take a full-sized "template" and shine light through it onto the photosensitive layer of the dvd (similar technique used in microchip lithography?)?

Do tell, really interesting!!

DT

9. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,943
    Remember not all bootlegs from Asia are on dvd-r, alot of them are pressed discs from a factory and some are even DVD9s so identical quality to the original.

As for playback, I have a DV470 and it has yet to refuse to playback any of my cdr/dvdr/dvdrws that I have used and I havent yet had a disc which skipped or broke up into squares so you should have no problem.

10. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Umm, I've only ever been appauled by the quality of R9 discs, both in their general transfer quality and operational performance. Would you spend a lot of time & money manufacturing high-quality dvd's in a country where 99.99% of the population buy pirate copies?

No, neither would I!

That's whay they're made using the lowest possible quality media and generally aren't subject to anything like the quality control program of R1/2/3 discs!

There's a reason why they're cheap!

DT

11. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no R9, the original post was about DVD9 (dual layer pressed DVD) - referring to the fact much of the asian pirating is not people burning copies, but rather factories mastering DVDs (NOT DVD+/-Rs) without paying the royalties. Many of these disks are equal quality to genuine disks, but, as you say, they won't bother with the quality control so some will be useless, and not exactly easy to get a refund.

One of the advantages of asian market pirate DVDs is that box sets (posh packaging = more expensive to rip off) for that market tend to be cheaper.

12. hambo

hambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Bought the 575 last night following everyone's comments and it works like a dream. Tried numerous discs and all worked with no skipping issues etc.

Thanks for your assistance folks!

13. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The only DivX/XviD files that really struggle on the 575 in my experience are ones encoded with GMC [Global Motion Compensation]. The packed bitstream ones as pointed out above play OK but jerky, GMC ones skip seconds at a time and have major audio sync problems. They can't be cured without re-encoding either. Other than that my 575 plays everything else very well.