Is the Philips 32PF9986...

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by Phill_1981, Feb 17, 2005.

Tags:
?
  1. Yes - It's the dogs danglies

66.7%
  2. No - there are better (please state below)

33.3%
  1. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    ...the best 32" LCD screen on the market for under £2000?

2. TarMoo

TarMoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    The only other 32in LCD TVs I have considered are the Sony KDL-L32MRX1 and the Panasonic Viera TX-32LXD1.

The Sony has better sound than the Philips but is about £600 more expensive and has not so good contrast. The Panasonic is good, but bettered by the other two.

I heard that Sharp are bringing out a new series of LCD screens in the near future which may be up there with the best.

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Philips is the best, in virtually any price range, but it isn't perfect. Connectivity and quality control need serious attention.

Jimmy

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The Philips may give an excellent picture, but it looks over processed. There are more natural looking displays out there with an excellent picture too. And many of them have a decent set of inputs and scaling functions to allow the user to have control rather than have it decided for you.

5. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    yes, like the sharp 32GA4E...

6. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just where have you been for the past 6 months ? The Sharps at the moment are equal with the 9986s. Sure, the Philips beats the Sharp for overall PQ and tricks like Ambilight but Hi Def images, full screen through DVI and connectivty is where the Sharp has it over the Philips.

Richie.

7. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been hesitating long between a 32pf9986 and a 32ga3e or even a 37ga3e (the Sharp is physically much smaller for a given screen diagonal!).
    I decided for the Philips after comparing the picture quality in many stores. Of course it is always difficult to tweak settings in a store, but in my opinion the Philips stands out above the rest when comparing quality of "natural" colors. In a store where they demo using cartoons you won't see the difference.

But still, 2 months after purchase, I sometimes think "well, this aspect would have been better on the Sharp".

Pity that no set exists (yet) that combines the good aspects of Philips and Sharp...

8. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    That's just the thing about the 9986, you decide how much processing you want. It is almost infinitely adjustable. Full PP2 processing is a real eyeful, so a lot of 9986 owners have backed the PP2 off to Movie Plus os some even more subtle settings.

Jimmy

9. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although the 9986 has a very good PQ, I would hesitate in calling it the best on the market. This is due mainly to the fact that it has only 1 HDMI/HDCP input which is shared with its component input.

If they had given it 2 HDMI or 1 HDMI + 1 Component then my vote would be different as this is the only thing that has stopped me buying this set. (are you listening Philips? :))

10. virtualinsanity

virtualinsanity
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeh, me too - have just pulled out at the eleventh hour at discovering no component input :mad:

11. imh

imh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd agree with duncs on this. Philips might have the best (or nearly the best) PQ on the market, but that cludge to get component in through the DVI means that DVI, component and PC inputs are all fighting over one socket. Also the speakers aren't to hot compared with, say, those on a sharp and can't be removed either.

Still, it's a very good screen, and it's HD capabilities beat any of the current Sony's...

12. Warp

Warp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is the connectivity really such an issue when you can get a DVI switch box? Most people with one DVI/HDMI socket on their TV are going to need to get a switcher anyway when SKY HD, HD-DVD etc come out to play. I personally don't see there being much difference between having 2 v's 3 DVI devices attached to one DVI input.

Maybe I'm being naive.....

13. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I feel it's an issue because

1 - a switch box costs £200
    2 - its another remote
    3 - you can't do PIP with a switch box
    4 - at least 2 DVI or 1 DVI and 1 component gives you some flexibility over which inputs you want to control from the TV.
    5 - its even worse when you consider there is no external box and many will want this TV (given the abilight) fixed to the wall.

Ideally future TVs will have multiple DVIs, multiple component and multiple RGB scart. Until then, 1 DVI and 1 Component is an absolute minimum for many (and many others)

Yep - was just about to make a call and flash my plastic and then I found this out. :(

14. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I will want to connect:
    • Thomson FreeView PVR - By Scart <-- Used all the time
    • Sony DVP - NS955 DVD player - By Scart
    • Sony PS2 - By Scart

Is this going to be a problem with the Philips connections?

15. Alan111S

Alan111S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have one of these, and the connectivity issue is a pain. If I want to connect my laptop, I have to shift the TV! I am using component thru DVI. I wished there was seperate DVI, VGA and Component inputs. However, when HD comes out I will get a switchbox and all this will be solved.

16. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Most (all?) DVI switch boxes are DVI digital only. They will not switch the analogue side of things. They may have a DVI-I connector on it, to allow a DVI-I cable to be plugged into it, but not switching the analogue side means that you can't switch component/VGA etc.

17. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    And the PQ falls below the levels that other screens can deliver.

18. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    How irritating of you Ian. Silly thing to say. You are a very intelligent and knowlegable chap, then you say something like that....

The PQ available from this set is staggering and you know it. The main gripe people have with this set is it's idiotic lack of component connections and it's lack of PC flexibility. PQ superiority is a given.

Jimmy

19. richardr

richardr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Is that really the case going forward, and if so, why have Philips announced PP2 HD?

20. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Im still hovering at the moment, and although the philips is a real nice looker, it has far to many short falls IMHO.
    Connectivity as already mentioned, and the fact it cant display 720p properly, (A great deal of use that is:suicide: ) not to mention poor quality control with buzzing sets etc.
    Oh, and you cant use a PC with it properly.

@ Phil1981 - Scart input isnt a problem (Not sure if all 3 are RGB capable though), but what happens in a year when your nice HD-DVD, PS3, Xbox2 and SkyHD all want to share the same socket? As Ian said, most if not all switch boxes only switch digital, so if your PS3/Xbox2 has component connections (May have HDMI/DVI i suppose), and your using SkyHD, your stuffed.

Im sure someone will make a combined switch box eventually, but its all still a bit of a faff to be honest, with 1 remote too many.

If it had 2 sets of components, 2 DVI (1 video, 1 PC), 1 HDMI and a couple of scarts for good measure, could display 720p correctly, had correct WXGA support for PCs, and you didnt get one that buzzed, then it would be Dogs Danglies and worth the money, but it doesnt so......

21. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Jimmy

I really cannot agree that the PQ superiority is given.

I worked doing computer graphics for the BBC for about 5 years (86-90) so I know what a good screen looks like. The first time that I saw a LCD that produced acceptable quality was the 30" Sony about 2 years ago - the predecessor to the MRX1. I so very nearly bought it but it never came down to my price point. Next one on my shopping list was the Philips 329986. I had spotted it in a press release about this time last year and the specs were spot on. I went to view one and was thorougherly disappointed. I spent some time with it and gave it a good shot, and I actually came away much preferring PP2 turned off. The picture was much more natural but comparing it side by side it really did not offer much above the Sony from the previous year. After the recall, I gave it another shot, but by then my goal posts had moved on and HiDef was my ultimate goal. It really did not cut the mustard against displays based on the Sharp panel - I have a Meridian G98 which produces an extremely good upscaled image. With hidef stuff, where you leave the source to do the hard work rather than the displays gizmos, the LG/Philips panel really did not impress. It was not, in the LCD world at least, until I demo'd a Sharp GD1E with a HD input that I thought wow. Then I saw the Loewe and thought double wow as it handled SD sources better - just like the Panasonic Viera's, very natural.

So as I say, in my experience, the displays relies on PP2 to give it the edge over the opposition. But I don't like the unnatural image that is produced. And without PP2 helping, such as watching HiDef other displays have shown that they have the edge. And with a HiDef feed, even PP2 is not a match. Which as richardr says, is probably admitted by Philips by them having to bring out a version for HD. Less is more for the HD arena.

-Ian

22. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Trouble is these switch box's (correct me if I am wrong!) usually only handle the digital video i.e. DVI.

If you have say a SKY Digital HD box and a DVD player, both of which you would like to connect via DVI, then how does one connect the audio.

The TV's DVI input will only have one pair of associated analogue stereo inputs. If the switch does in deed only handle the DVI video then your stuffed.

Personally I would only purchase an hdtv set that does provide two digital inputs (i.e. the new jvc 1080p coming later in 2005 (2 x hdmi)).

Also with more 1920 x 1080p sets on the horizon, most of the hdtv ready sets on the uk market already look somewhat inadequate and out of date.