1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the PHD8 wife friendly?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Tosty, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Tosty

Tosty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, first post :hiya:

As the title says, do those forum members who own panels consider them to be wife (or child) friendly devices? I'm somewhat torn between the 42PV500 or the PHD8 panel. Our main source at the moment is Sky+ through RGB scart. Turn telly on, press Sky button and that's it. These days the tv remote lives in the cupboard! So am I going to be able to do this with a panel? I don't really want a Pronto. Also does anyone know how devices "switch" when connected through hdmi - i.e. is there any sort of scart pin 8 switching?

Thanks in advance!

2. SteveG

SteveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    It's very child-friendly as the buttons are hidden away underneath the panel. It's wife-friendly too as the 42" panel is roughly the same size as a 37" pe50/pv500 due to the slim bezel and lack of speakers!

If you're only using it for Sky, connect via the svideo or vga port, set this to be the default power-on input in the menu and you wont have to touch the tv again.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There is a sky code for Panasonic plasmas, you can turn it on with sky remote. Save for a universal, they are very much worth it by the time you run sky, plasma, DVD, AV amp. 1 remote to rule them all, and sky channels directly by logo? How could you not want one?

4. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you connect up via anything other than scart, you'll lose auto aspect switching. This may not bother you if you leave your screen set to 16:9 and don't mind watching all 4:3 programmes stretched.

5. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    ive always stretched programmes, most things that I watch are 16:9, we dont watch much stuff at 4:3, but quite used to it now.

6. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Women have never been electronics friendly (with one buzzing exception ;) )...hence those famous words...my wife doesn't understand me

7. Tosty

Tosty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. At the moment I leave the CRT on 14:9 for 4:3 stuff (don't like such big borders down the side and don't like the screen being stretched non proportionally). For 16:9 stuff, the tv switches to the 16:9 ratio.

8. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think that the PV500 can auto switch between 16:9 and a setting called 'Just' which stretches the sides of a 4:3 picture to fill the screen or you can get it to go to plain 4:3 with the black bars at the sides. Just remember that auto switching is only available via scart. For some reason most manufacturers don't support widescreen switching via line 23 of the picture which would have solved all these problems of connecting up via s-video, component etc. I'm one of those people whi have to see a 4:3 picture as 4:3. There is still a lot of 4:3 stuff around and most TV channels are 4:3 only. Even the very latest, high tech, multi multi million pound sports such as the Formula One Grand Prix are still broadcast in ancient 4:3.

9. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I wish I knew why. I don't have any female friends that I can discuss which new hard disk to go for in my computer or talk about the new 4GB compact flash card I just bought for my pocket PC. But then, most of their husbands wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about either.

I think technically minded women are a rare breed for some reason.

10. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Teresa....I agree...but not because women cant turn their minds to such things...I think in general men and women have differnt interest in things...sounds like you are one of the rare breed though :clap: