Is the phantom of the opera Region 3 DTS 96/24

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by m0v1em4n, Jun 20, 2005.

1. m0v1em4n

m0v1em4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi

Can any one confirm that The sound track on the Region 3 version of Phantom of the opera is indeed DTS 96/24,

I have a limited version which states that it is but only show up as 48 on my Tag av32R,
    and a guy over on the us AV Forums seem to think is fake
    read here
    as any played this track

Steve

2. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that, my friend, is a VERY good question...I brought this point up when it first came out as it only shows up as 48khz on my Yamaha RXV2500 as well. It is defo flagged 96/24 and is full bit rate. But in my opinion, whether it is in fact 96khz is a major doubt.

I have the limited edition boxset as well BTW. This isn't a fake...but I have a feeling the 96/24 claim may well be...

Also, to my ears, the DD track has been well toned down (a trick I thought authoring houses had binned years ago...) to make the dts track seem louder. On the R2 rental copy I had out on the night it was released, the DD track was at least as good as the (supposed) 96/24 track on the R3 version...

3. Eitzel

Eitzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Top Secret-Anyone coming anywhere near my Pioneer
    Ratings:
    +146
    My Region 3 edition is without doubt DTS 96/24. Do you have the Hong Kong or Korean edition? I don't think that the Korean one is 96/24. Is your amp able to handle 96/24? If it is then check the "Linear PCM Out-Down Sample" setting on your DVD player, if you have one. Set it to "Off". If it is set to "On", the player will down sample the 96kHz signal to 48kHz.

4. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well mine is marked as dts 96/24 on the outer box, DVD case and the disc...surely setting linear PCM out down sample wouldn't make any difference... :confused: DTS is bitstream and not PCM...please correct me if I'm wrong...

As I said the disc is flagged as dts 96/24...the 96/24 light comes on on the fron of the amp when it's in the player. However, deep inside the menu on my Yamaha is an audio information page which tells you all about the audio being fed to the amp at that time.
    It tells me that the disc is flagged 96/24, is full bit rate but is only sampled at 48khz...it's never lied to me before. I have 2 Queen DVD audio discs and it tells me they are both sampled at 96khz...

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,092
    That’s quite interesting. I have the LE too and it definitely gets flagged up on 96/24. I wonder if there is a definitive way in which we could find out?

Although, whether it is or isn’t, it’s one of the best sounding dvd’s I own! :smashin:

6. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does sound good yes - but why advertise it as 96/24 when it isn't? :thumbsdow I'm wonsering if there's a facility on PowerDVD or WinDVD to check the actual sampling rate...

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,092
    I know, it does sound odd to me. :confused: I’m sure there’s some piece of software out there that could clear this up…

8. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    All I can say is for a normal DTS soundtrack, my amp lights up "DTS 3/2.1" - with this disk it lights up "DTS 96/24 3/2.1". It's only this disk and One Missed Call that actually makes my amp show 96/24 - so I've got no reason to disbelieve it.

9. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree (kind of...). But as I posted earlier, the lights on my Yamaha light up 96/24 as well...but the software in the amp that reads the sampling rate says it's only 48khz.
    Could the company have put a flag on the disc to fool amps into believeing they were receiving a 96/24 signal...?

10. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Family Guy

Have you got any other disks (such as Queen - On Fire) that are 96/24 for a comparrison ?

11. Eitzel

Eitzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Top Secret-Anyone coming anywhere near my Pioneer
    Ratings:
    +146
    DTS 96/24 is not a standard DTS soundtrack. It is PCM.

Pulse Code Modulation (PCM) is the most common system of converting analogue wave forms (i.e. music) to a digital data stream that can be used to encode a CD. It has excellent quality but requires a lot of data compared to formats such as Dolby Digital and MPEG audio.

The digital signal is either output via a digital cable to be converted by the AV amp or converted by the DVD player and output as analogue signals via six audio cables into the AV amp.

The six audio cables allow all the full bandwidth "Advanced Resolution Multi-Channel Surround Sound (96kHz/24-bit)" formats (DVD Audio, SACD, DVD Video-DTS 96/24) to be output as analogue to the amp. No SACD and most DVD Audio can't be played by the DVD player when output via Coax or Optical cables into the amp because of copy protection reasons. You can't send full bandwidth DVD Video DTS 96/24 sound digitally to the amp via an i.LINK cable (again, for copy protection reasons) but you can via Coax or Optical as long as your DVD player can output an uncompressed (down-sample "OFF") digital signal and you have a DTS 96/24 compatible AV amp. If you don't, then the digital signal will be down-sampled to 48kHz. Why you can output full DTS 96/24 digitally via Coax and Optical and not i.LINK, I haven't got a clue! :confused:

12. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Sounds to me like the disk is 48/24 but because almost everyone assosiates 24 bit audio with 96kHz sampling rate, they decided to mark it 96/24 for marketing reasons.

13. m0v1em4n

m0v1em4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Well my son ran the disc through Vobrater and the results were No 96 but 48

so look like we where duped, :eek:

nice packaging and good film any way :smashin:

steve

14. dvdmike007

dvdmike007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does win dvd show when its playing a 96 disc????

15. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the first time ever, I will say that the dts does sound better than the DD on this disc. However, if anybody wants to take the Family guy challenge, rent the R2 version and see if you can spot any difference between the DD track on the rental and the dts on the R3...apart from the R3 being extended of course.
    Picture quality is identical also...but I think we got the rub of the green with the layer change. On the R2 sell through, apparantly it's pish poor. The R2 rental and the R3 we have, the layer change is identical.

Still not particularly happy about being conned though... :thumbsdow

Also check post #12 of this thread here . I knew I could remember discussing this before...

16. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,092
    Damn! Why do I check these forums – ignorance is bliss! ;)

17. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Being the person I am - I'm not holding any faith in the "Vobrater" analysis - quite simply because there's no validation - if you try another DTS 96/24 and it says the same thing - does that make 2 disks "wrong" or is it the software ?

If you can validate it against another disk and it flags as 96 not 48 - then I'll believe it - until then.........

18. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This should clear this up...from the dts website.

How Does 96/24 Work?

The DTS coding system has a “core + extension” structure. The “core” represents the DTS data as has been known since the first home decoders. The “extension” can carry data for future applications or enhancements of any sort. All DTS decoders recognize and use the core data. Basic decoders ignore the extension data, while advanced decoders can make use of it. This allows for full backward compatibility for any scheme using the extension. DTS has recently used the extension field for two purposes. In the first case, it has been used to carry an additional channel for 6.1 dis-crete. In the second case, the extension field carries the additional spectral data added by 96-kHz sampling. For a program in DTS 96/24, existing decoders read the core at 48-kHz and reproduce the standard spectrum. DTS 96/24 decoders read both core and extension and reproduce the extended spectrum. The data rate for 96/24 is 1.536Mbit/s, the higher of the two DTS rates presently used. While numerically this might suggest twice as much compression, there is in fact negligible additional compres-sion on the core data. This is because there is relatively little information in the range 24-48kHz, so it can be coded very compactly. The 96/24 stream passes through the S/PDIF just as standard DTS does.