1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Panny receiver really that bad?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pwhite8314, Jan 7, 2003.

1. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's my choice....

Pio 43HDE screen, or Panny 42PW5. I need to keep the leads to a bare minimum (connecing XBox, DVD, TiVo & Digibox), so, if I go for the panny, what's worse:

- s-video on everything switched via the amp (with maybe the option to get some components from the DVD to the scrren)

OR

The Panny TU-PT600B reciever (which I assume supports PAL prog scan).

Can it really be that bad? It would solve a lot of my problems.

BTW - the equivelent Tosh (42WP16 I think) - does this take all the same options as the Panny?

2. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pwhite8314

I have a PS2 with RGB scart cable
    DVD with two RGB scarts (Aux is for loopthrough)
    NTL Digital (RGB scart)
    Tivo

Pretty much the same as your kit in terms of connectivity.

I use just a single scart into a JS Box to convert to YUV, this then goes on the component cables to the plasma. Single cable run, no input switching.

PS2-> TIVO VCR Scart
    NTL-> TIVO AUX Scart

TIVO Out Scart -> DVD Aux In
    DVD Out -> JS Box -> Component In on Plasma.

Hope this helps clarify how you can set this up (assuming you have two scarts on the DVD)

If you don't have two scarts, then you can still run the component from the DVD into the plasma and use the appropriate JS Box to support input of your RGB sources into the PC Input.

Generally the Tuner doesn't get rave reviews.

Hope this helps,

James

3. ijwoo1

ijwoo1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think most of the bad reviews/comments refer to the previous Panasonic tuner.

I have the new TUPTA600 and am generally pleased with it. The 600 passes the component input straight through to the display whereas I believe the previous one did not. I'm happy to stand corrected though :)

I wasn't expecting a particularly good picture, both because of the comments about watching terrestrial on a plasma and secondly because of the negative affect the tuner in circuit might have on the component signal from my DVD. Safe to say though it exceeded my expectations.

I went down the route of the tuner for convenience and teletext. It had to be easy to use for my family.

The biggest fault with it is that Panasonic in their infinite wisdom did not see fit to assign discrete IR codes to the AV inputs. IDIOTS !

4. GuitarGray

GuitarGray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would you care to expand on what descreet codes are and how they may affect me i have a simlar system and situation as you panny 42 v5 etc

5. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ijwoo1 - thanks - you might have just solved my problem. Out of interest, where did you buy your screen? I used to live in Billericay (Queens Pk Ave). Also, how long is the lead from the receiver to the screen?

GuitarGray - I assume this means that you can't access each of the AV mode directly by pressing a single button, you can only toggle through each of them 1-by-1. A discreet code would mean you could set up a learning remote to directly view the DVD feed, for example.

6. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have the new tuner box and its its poor imo.

The picture quality of the tuner is terrible, no matter what input you use, this is in-comparision with using the RCA terminal board,
    it also seems to add a faint flickering. It is not PAL progressive compatable as far as I can tell unless you feed it a progressive signal through the components.

1: You cannot set the tuner to automatically goto an AV Input therefore you need to tune channels in otherwise you get snow when you switch it on. I think that with the right device you might be able to make it auto switch but my NTL box doesn't let me do this, i'm going to check this out with another device this week.
    2: You lose the screen saver feature completely, to run it you have to disconnect the tuner
    3: There are no discreet codes for each AV input, you can't even set an AV input to a channel number which you can on nearly every other TV I've used.
    4: You lose the VGA port.

On the plus side, you gain SCART sockets, 1+1 RGB/Component 2 S-Video, you also gain teletext.

Regards,
    Neil.

7. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil

I can live with losing the VGA port and the lack of discreet codes (I'm used to that!).

Just to confirm - if I feed component to the receiver with prog scan, this will pass through OK to the screen? If this is the case, then surely the reciever can screw about with that signal too much?

PS - How long is the lead from the box to the screen?

8. allanrose

allanrose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes it does

no it doesn't appear to

3m or you can buy a 10m

9. allanrose

allanrose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the picture off terrestial broadcasts IS BETTER than off SKY so IMO it's a pretty good tuner

no flickering on my tuner

it passes through PAL progressive if fed through the component inputs

My screen came with the RCA boards (accidently) which I swapped with the tuner board and box - there is absolutely no perceivable difference in picture quality between the two setups contrary to what people think - methinks we have an urban myth in the making

10. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes it works fine.

I ran the RCA board for about a month before going with the tuner. The tuner is good, but the RCA board is outstanding, particularly with progressive mode. Metroid Prime on Gamecube, direct to the plasma is much sharper than through the tuner, imo.

About 3 metres, and its a reasonable stiff cable. Also note
    that the tuner connections add about 4cm to the dimensions.

Regards,
    Neil.

11. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Allan,
    We can agree to disagree: :D

I use NTL [no terristrial] and NTL with a RGB+S cable to the plasma RCA board is a much better picture than through the tuner AV1/RGB in my view. Same with using the components with a progressive signal from my consoles.

I didn't actually notice the flicker it was the wife, but from
    certain angles I notice it. Its not present without the tuner. It could be a cable/interference issue but its there for sure, its also
    present on the screen in JL and Shop@Panasonic.

For the money it costs, its total crap IMO. I have a Sony WEGA portable and the tuner and features within that are far superior to the Panasonic tuner, considering the TV cost almost as much as the tuner. Look at what Sony, Samsung and Sharp have done with their tuners, PIP, PID, VGA support etc. Panasonic cut corners.

I bought the tuner because it made life slightly easier for
    the wife and family.

Regards,
    Neil.

12. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's exactly why I'll probably be buying it. A small compromise in the scheme of things.

13. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have a link for the RCA terminal board? Is this an alternative to an Argos RGB scart box and JS RGB to VGA adaptor?

14. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No its what you get when you buy the panny without the tuner.
    You need this to make the setup I described I work for you :D

Neil.

15. GuitarGray

GuitarGray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i must be as thick as 2 short planks!!!
    but
    family seem to want a tuner ,, as they think you cant get sky dvd and video in without it , i hear u can use a js scart to vga and run dvd into sky then out to tuner(only 1 scart on dvd..
    please confirm this

also can you get just mode and panasonic auto mode without a tuner? as i hate black lines on top or side or bottom of screen.
    thanks for your patience :)

16. allanrose

allanrose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil as you say....we'll agree to disagree....but I stand by the above statement

QUOTE]Originally posted by neil@domino.org

I bought the tuner because it made life slightly easier for
    the wife and family.
    [/QUOTE]

Absolutely! you've hit the nail on the head....that's one of the key reasons why the tuner box is wanted...it's conventional...people understand it...it makes for easy connections....yes i's more expensive than other options but don't deride the quality because its actually pretty good.....just deride the bangs-per-buck which is a different issue!

17. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    1: as long as your sky and dvd boxes output RGB yes.

2: yes

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I think you have it there, DVD - scart - sky(scart 2) then sky scart 1 'TV' set to RGB, JS RGB-VGA adapter should do the biz for you.

19. ijwoo1

ijwoo1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I certainly don't think its terrible. I can't say how it compares with the RCA terminal board, its perfectly acceptable IMHO, although I think its fair to say that watching any terrestrial TV source, however connected is never going to blow your socks off on a 42" plasma, especially once you've viewed DVD sources on it.

I've come to the conclusion that it is not the Tuner that causes the flickering, others that do not have the tuner but use the RCA board have also reported the flicker. See the thread below.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59624

These are certainly all brain dead features. You can sort of get around (3), see my previous posting, but its still a major pain.

20. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still a newbie here, so sorry if I'm being dumb, but what do you mean by 'braindead' ? I read somewhere that the screensaver is quite useful for prolonging the life of the screen, and can be used after watching letterboxed movies etc to activate all pixels etc . . .

Also, isn't the VGA port widely considered to be the best way of connecting a digital STB, via a JS box ?

21. ijwoo1

ijwoo1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly, which is why I say Panasonic displayed extreme Braindeadedness when they decided to disable these features when the tuner is connected. I'm sure they'd cite technical reasons but I bet it really comes down to cost.

And I still question their decision to sacrifice flicker reduction for smoother image panning/movement, when no one to my knowledge ever had cause to complain about the smoothness of image panning on the PW4.

22. ijwoo1

ijwoo1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I should have my clear that my use of the word "features", was in the sarcastic sense, that is something Panasonic might describe as "features" but any one else would consider a c**kup ;)

23. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Why buy a £400 tuner when a video has a tuner inbuilt?

24. ijwoo1

ijwoo1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Teletext and the ability to record one channel while viewing another.

Of course that last bit looks a bit weak when I also have a TiVo and a Sky box ;)