1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Panny 7 series really that much better than the 6?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by JulianL, Mar 4, 2005.

1. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know there is another thread with a very good discussion of the technical differences between the Panny 6 and 7 series, but my question now is, do these really make that much difference to the picture quality?

The reason for my question is that I want a black unit so I'm forced down the PWD7 route. Richer Sounds have just knocked another £100 off the price of the 6 series so I'm beginning to question if I really should hold out for a £1,200 7 series commercial unit (so I can get it in black) or just jump on this Richer Sounds offer (and the 6 series also gives me the option of feeding component into the VGA connector).

One thing that makes me pause is the 10% higher peak brightness. I did notice on my Mum & Dad's 6 series that big areas of white did look a bit grey but this was only really noticable when the whole screen was white, e.g. a program id as they go into an ad break where the program name was against a full-screen white background. Whites looked OK in most normal scenes.

OK, better screen burn resistance would be nice if it was a zero cost option, but is it really worth a £300 premium?

The real big unknown to me is what sort of difference will the adaptive capability of the AGC circuitry make, and are the increased displayable colours really noticable in the final picture quality?

I think I'm well on the way to talking myself into a 6 series, but I am still somewhat torn. I'd be really interested in people's comments, especially dealers who have had the opportunity to see a 6 and a 7 series panel side by side.

- Julian

2. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  3. adymartin

adymartin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes.
    although i'm comparing between my set and my neighbours.
    maybe i have better cables, but we both have sky and mine looks better, my neighbours is older than mine but he had no hesitation in saying that his picture had never been as good as mine even tho' i've only racked up 50 hours bedding in time.don't get me wrong, picture quality on his 6 is great, but mine is better.
    plus,the 7 does in fact have quite a lot of subtle improvements when you see the full spec listing for both sets side by side ( posted on a thread somewhere, do a search) i.e more colours, which can only be a good thing eh??!!
    for the sake of the small difference in price i'd get the newer, better model myself.

just my twopenneth mate.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    buy a 6 and get it ISF calbrated much better than 7 series not set-up!