1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Panny 42PWD6 really suitable for PC and DVD use?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by calvinhobbes, Sep 15, 2004.

1. calvinhobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    It was suggested I try this question here, so here goes:

I know that the Panny PWD6 is raved about in this forum, but I wanted to know whether its really suitable for DVD and PC (gaming + office) use, given its low resolution. With the PC, I could use scaling to make DVD material higher definition, but its not clear to me whether the Panny would be able to handle it, nor whether the Panny would accept DVI (and if it did whether it would be worth it).

Is it better to stump up the additional £800-£1000 and go for the Panny HDs / Pioneer 403/MXE1? Unfortunately, even the Panny 7 seems to be low res.

Thanks in anticipation
  2. Mr.D

Jul 14, 2000
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Does 856x480 on mine with the help of powerstrip ( this is a 37pw5) it actually locks to just about any resolution you care to throw at it in fact I've not come across a display that accepts as many resolutions as the plasma ( sometimes they are cropped and or padded but it does manage to lock to them)

Gaming on it is ok I guess. You can play doom3 at 800x600 and it locks into a 4x3 portion in the centre ( you will not see any benefit going beyond the lower resolutions though).

It will depend on the game really.