1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Panny 42PWD6 really suitable for DVD and PC use?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by calvinhobbes, Sep 15, 2004.

1. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I know that the Panny PWD6 is raved about in this forum, but I wanted to know whether its really suitable for DVD and PC (gaming + office) use, given its low resolution. With the PC, I could use scaling to make DVD material higher definition, but its not clear to me whether the Panny would be able to handle it, nor whether the Panny would accept DVI (and if it did whether it would be worth it).

Is it better to stump up the additional £800-£1000 and go for the Panny HDs / Pioneer 403/MXE1? Unfortunately, even the Panny 7 seems to be low res.

Thanks in anticipation

2. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    I have a 852 x 480 Panasonic 4 series and it's OK for gaming (not great - looks a bit like 800 x 600 res) but not for office work. The pixels are just too big (like setting Windows to 800 x 600 display mode and using Word, email etc). DVD and SKY are excellent though. I recently went mad and bought a Pioneer MXE1, and for office work it is just perfect even sitting 6-7 feet away. You just have to be careful not to have the same image on for hours on end to avoid the risk of screen burn. Of course it is an extra £1000 but then you have everything except HDMI, which I didn't want anyway. When I got the MXE there weren't any other HD panels for ~3000; I don't know if that is the case any more. But the Pioneer is certainly impressive.
    Best thing is to take a laptop to a decent shop and get them to hook it up with a VGA cable and let you play.
    Crobo

3. Wazy

Wazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panny is superb for DVD. Its also superb for console gaming! I was playing Burnout 3 last night for about 2 hours :D :smashin: Picture looks awesome (thats through a JS RGB 2 VGA convertor v2)

But when it comes to using the pc on it, its a bit mixed. Its great for medium res gaming 1024x768 ish, and also for showing off your photos and stuff, but text isnt great, so its not good for office applications or web surfing etc. For these type of office applications I'd go for an lcd due to screen burn issues...

I dont have a graphics card that I can force to the pannys res at the moment, maybe that would be clearer as it wont have to scale - I'd love to hear from anyone thats tried that with powerstrip?!?!

Wazy