Is the panning blur really due to the Tosh?

soni

Banned
Razor said:
Looks like you might of found your next set soni :clap: :clap: :clap:
I am very tempted Razor - but there's allways something that you don't quite like about a set - and in the case of the Sammy SP50L7 - its definately those blinking sponge covered speakers!!!! But it certainly won't prevent me from purchasing!

indie24

kableman i cant remember, my colour weakness is def off, and the colour is set to 45, and the green in my coolur settings i think i turned it down. this set is very good, but you do need to configure it as the factory defaults are absolute crap. looks like they got blind people or colour blind people to do the colour settings. also my dnie is on and dnr is off.

Razor

soni said:
I am very tempted Razor - but there's allways something that you don't quite like about a set - and in the case of the Sammy SP50L7 - its definately those blinking sponge covered speakers!!!! But it certainly won't prevent me from purchasing!

I really wish these manufacturers would offer their models with detachable speakers, or no speakers as Sim2 have done.

I never use my TV speakers, I cant see the point as i have a 5.1 setup. Bit like listening to mono or watching a black and white TV. The built in speakers may be ok-ish, but they are never as good as seperate speakers costing a few hundred quid.

Please you have found your ideal set, bet your glad its slightly bigger :smashin: .

soni

Banned
KableMan said:
Cheers soni :smashin: I wonder if that's the problem I was seeing on the set in my local comet? It too was way too red - warm I described it as I think. Did it make a difference to the sharpness (or perceived smoothness) of the image? As the set in curry's appeared more vibrant and sharper as it didn't have this "red" look. But I couldn't compare it as they didn't have another DLP setup.

So are you tempted to go for the Samsung? I am - as i'm having withdrawal symptoms :D
No worries Kableman - lets both make sure we don't run into it blindfolded this time round - as it was obviously costly for you - and for me although not financially costly, i don't like the embarassment or the inconvenience of returning a set.

I would most certainly say that the colour weakness setting WAS what was causing the dodgy picture colour. When i tried it out last night, the sales assistant was only a young girl, but even she said as soon as the film came on that the colours were wrong. I thought great - these sets must have some sought of colour problem as the one at Costco was also terrible compared to the Tosh, yet the one at Currys a few nights ago was perfect. So i hunted through all the colour settings - turned the colours down to about 45, but it still didn't shift the dodgy red, was just about to give up on it when i found the colour weakness setting - BUT DON'T GO LOOKING FOR IT IN THE COLOUR MENU - as its not there, its the second (i think) icon up from the bottom left.

I didn't notice it making any difference to the sharpness - but i did pause a few frames - one in Day After Tommorrow, and the other in Gladiator, and they were both detailed - but maybe just not as detailed as the Tosh. I even turned the DNIe setting off, and also the Digital Noise Reduction, but i couldn't notice any difference on the film as it was rolling - what i should have done i suppose was to pause the film and then change the settings :suicide: .

The set i saw in the first Curry's definately looked sharper than the one last night, so i'm back off to that one on Saturday morning and then depending on the outcome will most probably order from Gultronics (for the price i mentioned :) )

I'm prepared to loose a bit of sharpness for the benefit of getting rid of the blurs, but it would be nice to have both - the detail and no blurs.

I've been searching on the net most of the afternoon, and have finally reached the conclusion that the US have about 4 of these pedestal types out allready, even though we've only got the one. Looks like they do the same as Toshiba i.e., what Razor mentioned the other day about Tosh keeping the casing but just changing the software, as we're on the HD2+ and there now up to HD5!!!!!! But the set still looks the same :cool: If i knew there was going to be a new Samsung released sometime soon then i would hold on, but i phoned Samsung UK and they weren't all that much help at all and said that they only have info on UK models that have allready been released. And i'm in the same boat as you, i want another TV as soon as!

soni

Banned
indie24 said:
kableman i cant remember, my colour weakness is def off, and the colour is set to 45, and the green in my coolur settings i think i turned it down. this set is very good, but you do need to configure it as the factory defaults are absolute crap. looks like they got blind people or colour blind people to do the colour settings. also my dnie is on and dnr is off.
I can't believe the amount of colour/picture settings on the Sammy SP50L7. You've got the normal colour, sharpness, contrast, tint, colour mode i.e., cool, warm etc (about 5-6 different ones of those) then its got the type of picture i.e., cinema, normal, and dinamic, then you've got the red, green, and blue custom settings where that picture of the woman is standing on the grass, then you've got another red, green, and blue section completely independent to the aforementioned. There seems to be so much to tweak on this set - i believe its got a really great potential!

soni

Banned
Razor said:
I really wish these manufacturers would offer their models with detachable speakers, or no speakers as Sim2 have done.

I never use my TV speakers, I cant see the point as i have a 5.1 setup. Bit like listening to mono or watching a black and white TV. The built in speakers may be ok-ish, but they are never as good as seperate speakers costing a few hundred quid.

Please you have found your ideal set, bet your glad its slightly bigger :smashin: .
I completely agree. Sim2 have got the right idea, and so have one of the Plasma manufacturers, can't remember which one, but prior to purchasing the Tosh i was looking at a Plasma, think it was a Panasonic, it received great reviews but was only a monitor, no speakers or sound. It didn't bother me, as i'm like you, would never use the built in speakers anyways. That way we could save £100 or so on the cost of the display. Those speakers on the Sammy do annoy me though, as they remind me of a walkmans headphones - i didn't notice it on my first 2 demos - it was only last night that i noticed it!

But as i've said - that won't bother me as the thing looks the mutts nutts in all other respects!

Razor

soni said:
I completely agree. Sim2 have got the right idea, and so have one of the Plasma manufacturers, can't remember which one, but prior to purchasing the Tosh i was looking at a Plasma, think it was a Panasonic, it received great reviews but was only a monitor, no speakers or sound. It didn't bother me, as i'm like you, would never use the built in speakers anyways. That way we could save £100 or so on the cost of the display. Those speakers on the Sammy do annoy me though, as they remind me of a walkmans headphones - i didn't notice it on my first 2 demos - it was only last night that i noticed it!

But as i've said - that won't bother me as the thing looks the mutts nutts in all other respects!

I know what you mean about headphones...lol. I think the samsung is a lovely looking set and after a while you wont evan notice the speakers. Just make 110% sure its the set for you. have you compared it to the 46' samasung as a few memebers prefered it to the 50'? :thumbsup:

soni

Banned
Razor said:
I know what you mean about headphones...lol. I think the samsung is a lovely looking set and after a while you wont evan notice the speakers. Just make 110% sure its the set for you. have you compared it to the 46' samasung as a few memebers prefered it to the 50'? :thumbsup:
They had the SP46L3 behind the SP50L7 last night. The picture quality on their own in-house demo looked a lot better on the 46 than the 50, but i didn't know if this was just the feed being split and being better on the 46 than on the 50. Although the 46 contains the HD3 which is supposed to be infereior to the HD2+ of the 50, i actually thought the picture on the 46 looked clearer, colourful, and more brighter. However, i didn't test the 46 last night with DVD, only the 50, but i did test the 46 a couple of weeks back with DVD, but then i didn't test the 50. Its such a nightmare because what you really need in the ideal world is all your shortlisted tv's lined up next to each other, all linked up with the same players via HDMI - then it would be a piece of cake - if only life was that easy. :cool:

philip41

Standard Member
Soni, I have the Sp46 and sikenny my mate has just got the Sp50, i went around to see how it compared to mine, expecting to see some difference due to the fact that the sp50 has the HD2+, but to be honest, just like when i saw both sets side by side in Curry's i could not tell the difference.
What ever the difference is, it must be so subtle.

Bacus

Distinguished Member
philip41 said:
Soni, I have the Sp46 and sikenny my mate has just got the Sp50, i went around to see how it compared to mine, expecting to see some difference due to the fact that the sp50 has the HD2+, but to be honest, just like when i saw both sets side by side in Curry's i could not tell the difference.

SIZE MATTERS ! :hiya: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

soni

Banned
Kableman and any others thinking about the Sammy:- I've just found this photo on the net, and although i've never seen this speaker system before i have heard somebody speaking about a speaker system for this set. I think it looks quite smart, but i don't think it would sound like my present AV surround so won't be getting it however nice it looks - but, my reason for posting it is this: On the website it states that they are expecting delivery of this TV on May 5th 2005. And another thing - look at the speakers on the left and right of the screen - there not the same as the ones i've seen on the 4 sets i've looked at in various stores - do you reckon this could be the new baby? :confused:

Attachments

soni

Banned
philip41 said:
Phillip - How about the contrast? Did the SP50L7 look as bright as your SP46L3 or brighter/dimmer? Are both connected via HDMI?

soni

Banned
KableMan said:
Are you familiar with this setting Indie24 and if so do you have it on or off and what is the default. I'm just wondering whether or not they come like this for demo purposes in shops or whether or not its been messed up in-store by mistake. I must go down to my local store and try it out...
Kableman - Don't know if your still looking at the Sammy SP50L7 - but i've been accross to Costco at Thurrock again this afternoon, and the colours on the Tosh and the Sammy were identical! Last week the Sammy looked really washed out compared to the Tosh - but they had the exact same film on this week and the colours were identical - even the Mrs noticed it last week - she was the first to comment on it - but this week she agreed that there was no difference! They had these sets - in the following order - all lined up against each other, The Sammy SP50L7, Tosh 52, Tosh 46, and A SAMMY 40" LCD WITH HDCP DVI INPUT!!!!!! The Sammy 40 would be a little to small for me - and the picture didn't look as good as on the DLP's, but it was nice to see another new addition to the HD compatible sets!

KableMan

Hi soni - yes i'm still interested. I went into costco in birmingham today and saw the 50" sammy, 52" tosh, 46" tosh and a sony grand wega. First impressions were poor setup as usual but the tosh's were both sharper but very noisey too. The samsung was too soft so I had a play - it had everything turned on, DNIe, DNR, Colour Weakness, Film Mode the lot - so without messing with the colours (as there's no remote so it would have taken ages) I switch off everything bar DNIe and it made quite a difference. The Samsung looked sharper and closer to the Toshibas but still softer and so noise/artifact free. My wife was with me too and she agreed the Toshibas were sharper but she said the Samsung was more watchable as it appeared cleaner. She was even pushing me to buy it especially given the returns policy and warranty offered at costco. But I still want to make sure.

We were both taken with the 50" Pioneer Plasma though but it was way too expensive. It seemd to combine the sharpness of the Tosh with the smootness and elegance of the Samsung... but at £4K it was a bit too much!

So did you try HDMI again?

willwood

Standard Member
KableMan said:
Hi soni - yes i'm still interested. I went into costco in birmingham today and saw the 50" sammy, 52" tosh, 46" tosh and a sony grand wega. First impressions were poor setup as usual but the tosh's were both sharper but very noisey too. The samsung was too soft so I had a play - it had everything turned on, DNIe, DNR, Colour Weakness, Film Mode the lot - so without messing with the colours (as there's no remote so it would have taken ages) I switch off everything bar DNIe and it made quite a difference. The Samsung looked sharper and closer to the Toshibas but still softer and so noise/artifact free. My wife was with me too and she agreed the Toshibas were sharper but she said the Samsung was more watchable as it appeared cleaner. She was even pushing me to buy it especially given the returns policy and warranty offered at costco. But I still want to make sure.

We were both taken with the 50" Pioneer Plasma though but it was way too expensive. It seemd to combine the sharpness of the Tosh with the smootness and elegance of the Samsung... but at £4K it was a bit too much!

We must keep missing each other, I was in at about 3pm buying some other stuff :)

KableMan

Hey Wilwood - I only joined on saturday and was so impressed by everything else they sell that I went with my wife and kids today to do a bulk buying trip - we were there until 3.30pm! So we did only just miss each other :)

I'm so tempted to pop back and buy the Samsung! They had one boxed and ready to go too... mmmm

Hey is it true you must pick up the TV yourself?

soni

Banned
KableMan said:

No i didn't try HDMI at Costco - there's only one girl who's on the TV's at Costco in Thurrock, and she's allways quite busy - it took me ages the other day just trying to get the remote from her! If you ever have a couple of spare hours on a Sunday it would be worth going to the Thurrock branch (although it is probably a bit to far from you) as the picture looked incredible today - it really did - and i'm sure you would have thought the same as i did i.e., theres nothing between them - apart from the Sammy being artifact freeeeeee!!

***BUT*** - Tommorrow evening i'm going off to Currys with the Denon player again (want to make sure its the one this time around) - and i'll be taking screenshots of certain parts of DVD's and will then come back home and take the EXACT same part of the DVD's on the Toshiba (as there not collecting it until Saturday (but i've got my money back allready so who cares!!) and will post the photos up tommorrow evening. I know it won't be an exact 100% fool proof way of doing it - but at least the photos will be taken with the same camera, same scenes of the DVD's, the same DVD player, so it will be the closest way of me being able to do it. :thumbsup:

soni

Banned
KableMan said:
Hey Wilwood - I only joined on saturday and was so impressed by everything else they sell that I went with my wife and kids today to do a bulk buying trip - we were there until 3.30pm! So we did only just miss each other :)

I'm so tempted to pop back and buy the Samsung! They had one boxed and ready to go too... mmmm

Willwood was probably the geezer you nearly ran into leaving the car park!!!! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

KableMan

Great stuff soni - I look forward too seeing and reading your findings :smashin:

I'm seriously thinking about buying the Samsung HDMI DVD player so I can test with it myself - I need a new DVD player anyway and its just been rated highly by HCC and feedback on this forum has been very good too.

Ultimately though its definately going to be a HTPC I think...

soni

Banned
KableMan said:
Great stuff soni - I look forward too seeing and reading your findings :smashin:

I'm seriously thinking about buying the Samsung HDMI DVD player so I can test with it myself - I need a new DVD player anyway and its just been rated highly by HCC and feedback on this forum has been very good too.

Ultimately though its definately going to be a HTPC I think...
When i first demoed the Tosh at Comet in Greenwich, i took along my then current DVD player which was one of the first Toshibas - it was so blinking old it wouldn't even play CDR's, but it did give a good picture on my then 28" 100hz CRT. However, i took along The Matrix, and i was surprised to see jaggie lines all over the shop - i then spoke to somebody at Sevenoaks Hi-Fi - and he said that they've never seen the Tosh, but would have thought that problem would be cured by an upscaling player and he suggested the Denon 3910, but that was a little expensive, and then he said if you don't listen to a lot of music then go for the 2910 as its got all the same Video circuitry as the 3910, its just the sound it lacks on. And it certainly does the business - anyway got to go - the Mrs is pushing me off to get on E-Bay - Woman :eek:
:hiya:

willwood

Standard Member
KableMan said:

They help you get it on a trolley, you pay and then you either get it home yourself or you ask them for the number of the delivery courier company they use. Cost me £30 as I live within 15 miles of the store, was dlivered the next day at about 11.30. Can't remember what the prices were for other distances.

Its so easy to spend a LOT of money in that store :)

C

Carl_Docklands

Razor said:

Im getting around this speakers all over the place problem by buying a yamaha sound projector, stay tuned :)

Razor

C

Carl_Docklands

Razor, i auditioned the yamaha speaker while attending GITEK in Dubai a while ago, it was running a DTS demo disc and had me drooling - shame they are not in silver tho :(

I will let you know how I get on, I think I might need a sub tho.

Still chuffed with my Tosh, managed to get hold of some high-def material and it blew my socks off all over again !

I have one eye on those new sony displays though - they look gobsmacking. I hope the missus will let me re-mortgage to get one ;)

Razor

Carl_Docklands said:
Razor, i auditioned the yamaha speaker while attending GITEK in Dubai a while ago, it was running a DTS demo disc and had me drooling - shame they are not in silver tho :(

I will let you know how I get on, I think I might need a sub tho.

Still chuffed with my Tosh, managed to get hold of some high-def material and it blew my socks off all over again !

I have one eye on those new sony displays though - they look gobsmacking. I hope the missus will let me re-mortgage to get one ;)

Hi Carl :hiya:

The idea of one speaker to replace all is a great idea, I recon you'll be right about the sub, does it not come with a sub?

HD is a peach to watch, normal dvd's just dont cut it any more. I just wish it would hurry up...lol I have posted a few new links for HD trailers link below.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202443&page=4

The sony is ment to be a very good, theres loads of great reports about this set. I would love to see it in action. :smashin:

BTW Glad to hear the romance with the tosh is still going strong. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett