Is the Panasonic TZ7 the best "camcorder" Digital camera?

MrMister111

Hi

Im after a compact digi cam, with great HD camcorder functions, with optical zoom.

I am a total auto man, leave it on auto and take pics, the stills I think will be fine for me, so Im after a really good camcorder function

I have a Mini DV camcorder but I never take it with me, and its to big.

So my thought now is to replace my current digi cam (Casio Exilim Z600), and get something like the TZ7 for my HD video and stills.

Ive done quite a bit hunting and the TZ7 looks to be the best, it must have optical zooming as this to me means its not a proper camcorder replacement (when I say this all I do is casual family trips/holidays/parties etc I am not a professional)

As Ive seen a few like the Canon SX200, but it doesnt do optical zooming on video, the Samsung WB550 is another one maybe, but doesnt seem to be as good? and a bit fatter than TZ7

Please can anyone comment/suggest on a camcorder alternative for me, as I say Im a casual user, so no DSLR etc.

cheers

toadoftoadhall

I just bought the Pana LS80, purely for the video. Not sure if its exactly the same as the very expensive Z7, but it is very good.

One important thing though, it doesnt zoom while filming. Zoom then film, stop, zoom and film. So doesnt really do the job of a real camcorder.

toad.

dave_bass5

Distinguished Member

Thats a good test. Who did it ;)

There are a few more videos from my TZ7 on Vimeo as well. It think for what the OP wants its a good choice.
Not sure its "the best" but probably close to the best all rounder.
Good video, good zoom range and easy to use seems to say TZ7.

I find indoor filming to be very good and whielst not as good as my HF10 it gets the job done. Audio is good as well.
Not sure i place being able to zoom whilst filming an essential as i dont really like to do that (although i do it occasionally) but its better to have than not have. Focusing is pretty good and fast although it can hunt in low light whilst zooming (have a look at the Blowup - Braza Club footage).

Last edited:

MrMister111

So after all this time, I now have a TZ7 btw, the answer to my question is...?... (topic)

I havent had a chance to actually look at my videos I took on my summer holiday yet!! to see what They look like on a big TV etc.

I havent done any editing etc yet.?

so is it good enough?
cheers

daveb975

So after all this time, I now have a TZ7 btw, the answer to my question is...?... (topic)

I havent had a chance to actually look at my videos I took on my summer holiday yet!! to see what They look like on a big TV etc.

I havent done any editing etc yet.?

so is it good enough?
cheers

It depends how good you need it to be!

I eagerly sold my Sony HD camcorder to fund the purchase of a TZ7 to take both stills and video. When I look at the clips from both machines on a large TV, it is easy to see which is made by the TZ7 - the footage is nowhere near as smooth as that from a proper camcorder.

I am now ordering a new HD camcorder:rolleyes:.

However, in answer to your original question, I still believe that the TZ7 delivers the best HD video of any compact camera. The 'quality to size' ratio means that the TZ7 will continue to get more use than my DSLR for stills and my new HD camcorder for videos. When I want/need the best quality, I will use the right tool for the job, but most of the time I will come back to the TZ7.

Gumpert

Standard Member
It depends how good you need it to be!

I eagerly sold my Sony HD camcorder to fund the purchase of a TZ7 to take both stills and video. When I look at the clips from both machines on a large TV, it is easy to see which is made by the TZ7 - the footage is nowhere near as smooth as that from a proper camcorder.

I am now ordering a new HD camcorder:rolleyes:.

However, in answer to your original question, I still believe that the TZ7 delivers the best HD video of any compact camera. The 'quality to size' ratio means that the TZ7 will continue to get more use than my DSLR for stills and my new HD camcorder for videos. When I want/need the best quality, I will use the right tool for the job, but most of the time I will come back to the TZ7.

Have u found the focusing problem the TZ7 has during video zooming to be a pain as described by Cameralabs (Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7 / ZS3 review: design, controls, lens, stabilisation, screen, menus, drive modes | Cameralabs) ?

Also, when filming video at night is there a way of stopping lights from making lines on the image?

Thanks

senu

Distinguished Member
Also, when filming video at night is there a way of stopping lights from making lines on the image?
Thanks
:nono:
Rogs on Camcorders has answered this:rolleyes:
Sufficient to say that it is a CCD inherent property which wil not affect all footage but may be unavoidable at times.
It doesnt tend to affect CMOS ( whih have thier own problems) but in general lowlight is a challenge for all these kit in one way or another

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom