Question Is the Panasonic 65FZ952 the TV for me?

Certifiable

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've not bought a new TV for 11 years now (my Panasonic TH-37PX70 is still going strong) so I'm in need of a bit of advice. I'm looking at getting a 65/70" OLED TV and I've narrowed it down to what seems to be the 3 usual suspects; the LG C8, Panasonic FZ952 and the Sony AF8. The Panasonic took my fancy because from what I've read it has the best/ most natural picture, has better motion processing than the LG and it comes with the soundbar. However I've got a couple of questions and concerns...

1. It doesn't support Dolby Atmos or Vision; is this something I'm going to miss going forward? As you can tell from my first sentence, I'm not someone who upgrades their TV every yer, so I'd like something that will do me for a long time. Is the Atmos stuff only really an issue if I'm doing a surround sound setup?

2. Am I better off buying the 802 and a seperate soundbar, or is the 952 better value?

3. The TV will be wall mounted, and I've read that you can't take the plug out of the Panasonic. Will this cause issues with wall mounting, as I plan to run the cables in a channel in the wall? I suppose I could just have a socket in behind the TV.

That's quite the post, but I'm hoping you guys can give me a bit of advice.

Thanks.

Hi I will try to answer your concerns.

1. It doesn't support Dolby Atmos or Vision; is this something I'm going to miss going forward? As you can tell from my first sentence, I'm not someone who upgrades their TV every yer, so I'd like something that will do me for a long time. Is the Atmos stuff only really an issue if I'm doing a surround sound setup?
We don't really know yet what time will bring but right now it looks like Dolby Vision is going to be more beneficial to have in the future. Whether HDR10+ surpases or equals that really is anyones guess. In essence you should not buy now with a mind to future proof because in one way or another the TV will be out of date in a few years if not because of format support, but for another reason.

2. Am I better off buying the 802 and a seperate soundbar, or is the 952 better value?
Do you mean the Philips POS803?

A separate sound bar is always going to be the best option but if you want the best integrated sound you should look at the Sony OLEDs with the accoustic surface. Its much better sound than the LG's with their integrated atmos soundbars. Most people here would opt to buy the best value OLED and pair it with the best value soundbar to get the best overall package.

3. The TV will be wall mounted, and I've read that you can't take the plug out of the Panasonic. Will this cause issues with wall mounting, as I plan to run the cables in a channel in the wall? I suppose I could just have a socket in behind the TV.
You will likely have to install a socket behind the TV unless you find a way of neatly routing the entire plug.

Thanks. When I said the 802 I meant the Panasonic 65FZ802B which as I understand it is the same TV as the 952, just without the soundbar (and a different remote).

Ah okay, sorry. If I were you I would buy a 2017 model now or wait for the prices of the 2018 models to be more reasonable. On the same note as before, the Philips is also an option :) As is the Philips (2017) POS9002

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom