Question Is the Panasonic 55AX902 a good buy @£1500?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Such, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Such

Such

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    I am getting a bit of an upgrade itch on the TV front.
    Having just changed to a denon avrx5200, Nak AVP1 i have rekindled my interest in the TV side of things.

Currently, my Kuro is going strong and doing well, but having seen the price drops on the panasonics AX900 series, would they be a good buy now?

I have read the various pros and cons, and how they may be better than the current CX800 series, but would i be disappointed going from Kuro to this?
    I will be looking at 4k blu ray when it arrives.
    I do like OLED but think I will let the technology mature a bit before I take the plunge there.

Thanks

2. davejones2

davejones2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    I'm a big fan of the AX902, and now the price has dropped to £1500 I think it represents fantastic value.

However, I would suggest that you are in the perfect position to wait until the 4K/HDR standards are finalised before committing to a new set. Give it another 8-12 months and the landscape of compatibility requirements will probably be pretty obvious - then you can either go for a 2016 set or for a discounted 2015. In addition, 4K OLED may well have matured properly or come down to a competitive price.

It seems likely Panasonic will release a flagship set later on the year to replace the ax900 series, which by this time next year would likely be available at a discounted price.

The only danger in waiting would be if you rely on the good viewing angles of your plasma. Going to a VA panel would be a bit of a shock and it seems like the AX900 might well be the last flagship IPS-equipped set from any manufacturer apart from LG, who's local dimming implementation leaves a lot to be desired to say the least. This would leave you reliant on OLED.

3. Such

Such

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    thanks for that, I will see if the price of the pannys drop even more then i will probably buy one.
    If not I'll hang on as prices seem to be dropping fairly rapidly.

Viewing angles should not be a problem as the room is fairly long and narrow

thanks

4. .stu

.stu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    The 65” version has sold out now it is only £2500 from the big retailers. I can't see the 55 inch dropping in price much more. It represents better value for money than the 65" already, although I felt it was better to get a 65" screen so I could actually appreciate the extra pixels from my viewing distance.

5. Such

Such

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    I would love a 65" screen, but feel that it may make my pj a bit redundant!

Plus the cost is preventing me considering one also.

Thanks