Is the pana pd30 model being replaced soon?

A

Assa

After weeks and weeks of research I finally decided on 32" Pana Pd30. But some retailers on high street confused me saying that the TV models change every 6 months and there is a new model coming shortly. Some of high street shops already discontinued Pd30 modes (e.g. Alders). Other shops (John Lewis and Comet) still have more stocks coming in.

I can see that PD30 model has been on the market for some time. Is it worth waiting for a new model to come up? Can it be a better model or make the pd30 price come down? Does anyone know? Really appreciated!

Well, the only new model that I know is coming up is a TX-36PL35 which I actually asked about here a couple days ago, but nobody responded. It's already available in Germany, but an info about it is hidden deeply on Panasonic German website (it's not where it should be, I had to use an advanced search to dig it out). The listed spec is a bit inaccurate I think, but it doesn't look like a PD30 replacement. It's more like 36PL30 successor which by the way is present only on a UK website.

So this is what I managed to figure out about this new 36PL35 compared to PD30:
- lists for ca. 25% less
- has same visuals
- lower sound power
- one scart less (still two RGB's and component present)
- smaller teletext memory

It looks like this:

tx-36pl35d_10.jpg

So if you're mainly after high PQ while the rest is less important (like in my case) it may be a tempting choice especially considering the price. The looks is maybe not that awesome as of PD30, but also not that bad judging from the picture, and I haven't seen it in real yet of course.

cheers

Assa,

I have no idea whether the PD30 series is about to be replaced, however I infer from your post that you would go for a newer design if it's out soon.

Can I suggest that this is not necessarily a wise move?

Like cars, TV's are complex machines and new models usually have teething troubles followed by updates/improvements as production continues.

There is a lot to be said for buying the last of an old model rather than the first of a new!

Good luck in whatever you decide.

The PL35 was in last year's catalogue. The PD30 was announced last April so a new model should be coming soon.

Jurass, Tight Git, cybamerc - Many Thanks to all for replies. Tight Git’s wise words enlightened me to go for pd30 – it is arriving today!

So, TX-36PL35 finally appeared officially on Panasonic German website (TX-36PL35 ). It's definately not a PD30 replacement. It's a cheaper big screen alternative. In correction to what I've written above it doesn't sport the same visuals - it's not an Acuity set. What actually may sometimes be an advantage while Acuity is not perfect, especially with lower quality signals. What's more important it supports progscan thru YUV input. And if you care about it a lot, you actually don't need Acuity. You cannot use Acuity with progscan signal from your player. Either progscan or Acuity, am I correct?

The PL35 was in last year's catalogue.
Hmm...is it really so? On a German website it appeared only on April 6 as a novelty and a pdf data sheet which you can download gives Feb 19 2004 as a TX-36PL35 release date.

edit

One more difference is Digital Chasiss 8 bit vs. 10 bit. Does anyone know what it means? Also the spec does not mention Wide Digital Plus. Is it really possible it's not supported? Will letterboxed picture be just streched out and looking ugly? I guess interpolation of additional lines when filling a letterboxed picture to full screen height is what Wide Digital Plus is supposed to do.

edit 2

interesting is also set positioning on the website - the very bottom. does it mean anything? is it the worst of all? :eek:

well gentlemen, finally after a year of pain I'm getting my TV tomorrow. and it's gonna be a TX-36PL35D! I already had decided for Thomson 32WB642, but suddenly this new Panny showed up. I decided to risk it before it's been tested anywhere mainly because I'm getting the big screen for a very attractive price (by some kind of private import from Germany) and it won't be that attractive anymore after we join EU in three weeks time.

so, keep your fingers crossed for me.
I'll let you know about my impressions soon.

cheers

edit

check some real life looks comparison between PD30 and PL35 here

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom