Is the original DJI Mavic Mini worth getting

Floyd AVF

Amazon currently have the original DJI Mavic Mini fly more bundle for £359
As a complete novice looking for a first half decent drone to get started with, is this a viable option or is it worth going for the newer model?
I'm not fussed about the lower grade camera and from what I can tell the operating range of the Mini 1 is a lot less than the Mini 2, but I doubt that would be too much of an issue (the further away it is then the more chance of it getting lost I'm guessing!).
Any users of the original Mavic Mini on here?

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
The mini is perfectly acceptable as long as you accept it’s limitations , as you know , it is limited in distance for signal but that’s not necessarily a bad thing as you are technically only allowed to do VLOS flights anyway , battery life is excellent , the wind handling isn’t brilliant , but again , if you accept that fact and don’t push it you’ll be fine.
There is nothing wrong with the camera.
Your biggest issue is likely to be getting hooked good and proper , in that case I would suggest getting the mini 2 .....

Floyd AVF

The mini is perfectly acceptable as long as you accept it’s limitations , as you know , it is limited in distance for signal but that’s not necessarily a bad thing as you are technically only allowed to do VLOS flights anyway , battery life is excellent , the wind handling isn’t brilliant , but again , if you accept that fact and don’t push it you’ll be fine.
There is nothing wrong with the camera.
Your biggest issue is likely to be getting hooked good and proper , in that case I would suggest getting the mini 2 .....
So besides the price (of which this seems to be a decent deal) what are the real benefits of the 2 over the 1 (besides camera and extra distance)?

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Better , far far better wind tolerance , don’t underestimate the benefit of better signal as well , it’s very easy to lose signal with the mini as it uses the same WiFi bands as normal WiFi and does succumb to interference from it 👍

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
If your interested I run a Facebook group called the ‘the dji life’ , you’re more than welcome to join and ask questions there as well 👍

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Better , far far better wind tolerance , don’t underestimate the benefit of better signal as well , it’s very easy to lose signal with the mini as it uses the same WiFi bands as normal WiFi and does succumb to interference from it 👍

Yeah, even within the discount I personally think the Mini 2 is worth the extra for those to points alone.

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Yeah, even within the discount I personally think the Mini 2 is worth the extra for those to points alone.
Exactly , it soon got boring with the original mini losing signal so easily , shame really as it is a cracking little unit 👍

JonJ

Hi, echo other comments. I looked at both and the upgrades on the Mini 2 really matter. The new controller, excellent signal and better camera to name a few. Just make sure to get the Fly More pack if you can. It's been a pretty slick experience for my first drone - although you then start to look at the DJI Refresh insurance and accessories and it starts to add up :)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom