Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Is the Optoma the best DLP?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Ruby, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Ignoring the fact that the Optoma models can't do NTSC (without a HTPC), which is the better DLP; Samsung SP50L6, Samsung SP50L7, Sagem HD-D56 or the Optoma RD50/65?

2. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    it depends, some people say sagen, some say samsung some say tosh etc etc. There is no "Best". There my be 1 that looks the best to you and that is what counts. The best is what suits you :) :hiya:

3. raymen

raymen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    HEY,,
    Don`t forget the Tomson 61dsz644..

This machine gives an awesome picture..

Plus the Thomson can be mounted too the wall :eek: :hiya:
    Mvrg,
    Raymen

4. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I have briefly owned a Samsung SP50L7 and Sagem HD-D56. I found the black levels on the Samsung to be a bit of a let down. The Sagem had a lot of dot crawl and brightness fluctuation problems. I currently have a Panasonic 42PE50 plasma. Although the picture quality is excellent on the Panasonic, I'm finding that 42" is just too small.

I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine that the Samsung SP50L6 is too different from the SP50L7. That doesn't leave too many other choices apart from the Optoma. I do own quite a few NTSC DVDs, so I would need to a HTPC. However, I would only go to this trouble if the Optoma is significantly better than the Samungs or the Sagems.

5. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bet you my Sagem 50 G4 will be the new KING!

P.S. I've owned a Sagem 56B and a Sagem 45.

(I also own a SP50HL7 in America.)

6. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    kmhtkmhtkmht,

Funnily enough, I'm also considering the new G4 Sagem 50. I only found out about it existence tonight when I looked at this forum.

Have you taken delivery of this new Sagem yet, and if so, what's it like with the following issues:

- dot crawl (this was terrible on the HD-D56)

- brightness fluctuation problem

- white camera flash effect every so often

- black levels during dark viewing conditions (these were a problem for me on the Samsung)

- avwow.com's website states that this TV accepts PAL and SECAM, but there's no mention of NTSC. Does it do NTSC?

7. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RD65 without doubt! Actually I looked at bot hthe Sagem 56 and the optoma 50/65. Went with the largest screen in the end!

8. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am sure it will do NTSC... If all previous revisions do then I'd be surprised if it didn't.

I am taking delivery of it on Friday ( I am even buying a Digital Camera so I can start reviewing these things amongst others ) ( I actually have 4 of them 2 I lost and I is broken and I don't know where the other one is...)

I felt a good test of Black Levels are Lost Episodes cause they are tons of Darkness efforts. HD-56B passed Marginally...

Hopefully I will be impressed by El 50 G4 o...

9. ken_le_franc

ken_le_franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey guys ,
    optoma's are 50 hz , they will be compatible with the xbox 360?!?
    i mean , a lot of games let u choose if u wanna go 50 hz or 60 hz , it would be sad if the xbox360 couldnt be compatible with 50 hz
    your opinions ? ; )
    regards

10. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Xbox can do both 50 and 60hz I believe. You will be able to use the Xbox 360 with it. That's half the reason for me upgrading to the rd65.

11. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435
    Im as happy as a sandboy. :D

12. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm happy as a Frenchman who's invented a pair of self-removing trousers.

13. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435

LOL.... :rotfl: I have got over this stage. Sand boy stage now. :D

RD65 is now over 1 year old and still looks like it did when I first bought it with over 12 hours a day use. :smashin:

14. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    okay I have seen the Thomson, the Sagems and the Samsung, at least I decided to go with the Optoma as it definitly has the best picture quality....thats for sure

- the Thomsons are too dark, and the have
    bad viewing angles
    - the Samsung are also too dark ( personally I had the impression that bthe Rd50 is much brighter) the Samsung also gets blocky artifacts at some times....
    - the Sagem seems to be a fine TV too, but they suffer from frosty screen and other problems....

If you do not care about NTSC go for the Optoma! if you do like NTSC disc, you should go with a Sagem...

The only bad thing on my Rd50 is dot crawl in very fast PAN Scans....but if you are used to, this will get normal. (I`ve heard that this is a physical thing to all dlps)

I also seen Panasonic Plasma which have a good pq but they suffer from shadows behind fast moving objects...I`m sure that with a plasma you`ll also have a kind of smearing whne camera pans fast...

if the price for a HD capable PANA plasma would be abou 2000€ I maybe would have go with the plasma, but as these are nearly up to double the price, I choose the Rd50 and I am happy....

15. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Do the RD50/65s come with stands or are they an optional extra?

16. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435

RD65 doesnt need a stand.

17. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    That throws a bit of a spanner in the works. I have barely enough room to fit the RD65 in. I thought that if it came with a stand like the RD50 model, I could put all of my AV gear in that. I don't have enough space to put up another stand beside the RD65.

18. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435
    Look at the pic on my sig. The RD65 doesnt need a stand, the RD50 however needs a stand and a few owners have got one free/cheap. (Try putting your AV gear on a shelf above the RD65) its wide enough. :smashin:

:)

19. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you need a rack, take the Rd50, its cheaper, looks very good, just a nice TV. If you want ultra-big-size take the Rd65 and buy a rack for you av and hifi gear....

you wont regret any decision....

my Rd50 had a problem with inaccurate colour temperature..... but there is an easy way to solve this (just not convetional). Just pm me.... :) :thumbsup:

for pictures of the Rd50 look to my other thread : RD50 - stunning display..
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248018

20. Dan-uk

Dan-uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Razor and Mr Boom :) Is there no way to display NTSC on the Themescene RD65
    as I'd get one if you could. I have 300 + NTSC region 1 DVD's. Also whats the best price you've seen. I found this which seems remarkably low ...

http://www.shootandshow.co.uk/Optoma_RD65.htm

Regards

Dan

21. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is the best price for the moment, although this could change. I have ordered the RD65 from shootandshow and it's getting delivered TOMMOROW!

They mentioned that Optoma had reduced the price so it may appear elsewhere for a similar price?

22. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435

Yes with a HTPC and powerstrip or a scaller such as Lugamen or DVDO. I too have over 300 dvd's which are NTSC. :D

23. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Razor did you completely resolve the judder problem with 60Hz and a PC?

I also have some judder with normal PAL DVD but only if I play them from my DVD drive, if I rip to harddisk all is fine.... This may be due to WinDVD is doing deinterlancing job and if some frames come little too late + the deinterlancing will result in judder.....
    With my standalone LG player all is fine with PAL

What setting did you put on PowerStrip? 49,783? can you give me a recommendation....

Ps: do you have the kingkong HDTV Trialer.... I can see much judder in this trailer!!! If you give me a better PowerStrip refresh rate I will try it with this HDTV Trailer.....
    And do you know if there are also different (PAL and NTSC) divx files. I may find an US divx version of a movie, so I could try out with my LG player(it does play back divx). I want to see the real NTSC problem the TV should have.... With my PC I am never sure if its the PC performance or the NTSC problem......

cheers...

24. ken_le_franc

ken_le_franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cool, thx jay !
    i m gonna by one too ;)

ps: i m french/american from normandy ; )

25. Dan-uk

Dan-uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ummmm interesting, thanks for the info, how long has the current RD65 been out as if they are discounting the TV... maybe they are bringing out an NTSC one ????

I bought my HD-D45 from John Lewis and they've Ok'd (over the phone and subject to an engineer confirming it), a refund based on the SPDIF not working with my amp and DVD player. As I don't actually NEED to use the SPDIF, I could in theory wait 4 years and get it replaced under John Lewis Warrenty, which means I could wait until a much newer, better model comes out.

26. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435

I find with HD material it all depends on what player you are using. King Kong is HD DIVX wich is the worst type of HD, as it is so small in file size. The best I have seen is a 22 gig version of Gladiator in .TS form.

Divx movies by the way they are designed are never smooth as they drop frames to help with the compression. This is also true with some HD movies. If you compare a 7 gig HD movie to a 22 gig HD movie the difference is huge. Less compression equals less colour banding, smooth panning, better depth the picture etc.

I know I have been banging on about Theater Tek but it really does the job well and plays all my HD material with ease. Also when you are running HD check your CPU load, mine never goes over 30% and hovers around the 15-20% range. Power Strip setting is 49.83Hz.

:D

27. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435

I was customer number 2 in Europe and I have had my RD65 for just over 1 year. There is no new RD65 on the horizon.

28. Dan-uk

Dan-uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So would you say, :) and I know you might be slightly bias :) , but in terms of picture quality, would you say that the RD65 trounces other DLP sets ?

29. Dan-uk

Dan-uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If I got one then, I'd need a PC with DVI-D and a soundcard with output to my amp ? What about a laptop, I'm thinking of getting a Dell M170 (Gen2 XPS ) to play the DVD's on. I don't bother running a 5.1 system at the moment, just 2 big floorstanding B&W 603's, picture is most important for me.

30. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435

In my opinion yes. The size makes the picture look more impressive as you can see more detail. There is no loss of quality with a 65' screen as these DLP projectors were designed to be used on 100' screen and projected over a room which is 10-15 foot. So to project in a sealed cabinet onto a 65' screen is easy work. HD is also gob smacking. :eek: