1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Nvidia 7800 equivalent to the Xbox360 GPU?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by zAndy1, Jul 7, 2005.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,943
    As title really, is the 7800 Nvidia card the equivalent of the GPU that will be in the Xbox 360 or is it another generation away yet?

Cheers,
    Andy.

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,943
    Bit of a daft question really that seeing as the Xbox 360 is going to have an ATI GPU, ok then how does the 7800 compare to the NSX that will be in the PS3?

Cheers
    Andy

3. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    its really hard to judge as the GPU in a console is designed and made for one purpose only. im sure i read that the Next gen console GPU's are at least similar to current Gen Gfx cards if not faster but they will be manipulated in totally different ways. its so hard to judge because clock speeds mean nought between them with the total new and difference architechture thats currently available.

oops for got the GPU in the 360 is apprently based on the R520 core and the 360's graphics will be 500mhz, 48 (yes.... fourty-eight) pipeline GPU capable of at least 500 million polygons, with All games supported at 16:9, 720p, and 1080i, anti-aliasing.

so if its based on the R520 and totally tweaked and all for console you this thing is very :censored: powerfull

assuming PS3 is similar in respect then id say both systems will be similar if not better than the latest GFx cards from each company. just wait till they learn how to manipulate the system :eek: best games for xbox gfx wise are only showing now, remember chaos theory and forza

interesting thread

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    seeing as this card has 256mb ram and the xbox 360 gpu has 500mb, it looks like the nvidia is about 1/2 as powerful as the xbox 360 one.

5. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Doesn't mean anything. There are faster cards (a lot faster) with 128mb of ram than those with 256mb. It depends on the way the GPU uses the memory, the number of pipelines, and as with CPU's the architecture of the GPU. Raw clock power has also shown to be meaningless.

Game console GPU's are not comparable to VGA cards for the reasons Kopite has mentioned.

6. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    agreed RAM is meaningless with out some kind of horse power behind it. as overkill said even clock speeds now dont really mean anything. pipelines seems to have come to the forefront on how GPU perform these day. if its true the 360 PGU core has 48 your talking silly things the GPU will be able to achieve. but they key thing as i said above this thing is designed from its roots to be in this console and do only one job for the console so comparing isnt really feasable in truth. i know im giving up pc gaming now as the prices have just become stupid imo and now the thing pc's had exclusivly ie High RES and great online features are now appearing on console.

7. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,943
    I've got a mate at work who just will not entertain the idea of having a console at all. He's currently talking about ordering his next PC for £1500 odd it will probably cost him. He says the types of games he likes don't come out on console (he's a real MMORPG fan, EQ, EQ2, WOW are his life). I agree that PC gaming is for mugs to be honest, if you added up the cost of a PC and the bits you need to buy for it to keep it up to spec over it's lifetime and divided it by the number of games played it would be a scary price per game! I'm positive he could get a lot of enjoyment out of a console but he just doesn't want to know.
    Thanks for the replies anyway, seems from doing a bit more research that the 7800 is pretty much the equivalent of the RSX that will be in the PS3 so it's gonna be a good card for the next couple of years PC gaming at least.

Cheers
    Andy

8. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    double post

9. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    PC Gaming is different though, I wouldnt touch an FPS on a console. With PCs you have decades of old games you can play, free community mods for most of the games released, they play and format of video and audio, you can use it for work etc. The other way round however there are games that don't work on PC generally because of bad conversions etc so that is the main reason I have consoles too.

Funny thing is we all talk about specs of PCs and consoles, there is a huge market out there at the moment for games that will run on low spec computers, we don't always need all these flash graphics for everything, If I was offered the choice of Half-Life 3 or Sam n Max in 2D I'd choose Sam n Max without even thinking about it

10. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    there will be an MMOPRG out early on 360 with few more to come. my friend is into it all and he told me about it. called The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. there aint many things a pc can do now. yes you can mod on pc but i thought about it and ive never really ever used a mod on a pc game i own. its dead to me now i just cannot afford to keep it up

11. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Ill be getting a 360 as soon as its out. No matter how nice the new Nvidia card is, its WAY too soon. Im using a BFG 6800GT and its more than good enough for whats out at the moment.

Im also not too happy about the fact that the new card doesnt even have 512mb ram. thats just stupid considering ATi's new X850 card has 512mb.

All i know is that this new card is based on the PS3's RSX GPU. Not exactly the same though.

I actually preffer the 360 GPU to the RSX. So ill wait for them to make that into a card. Once they do, then ill get TWO of em and use them together with ATi's dual card system.

I dont like NVidias system as much as it depends too much on drivers.

The ATI system just runs 2 cards as 1 and give twice the performance.

12. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Not at all. Consoles don't offer the versatility of PC, the graphics performance or the ability to upgrade without binning the whole lot. Plus console games come out a huge price, then stay at a huge price. PC games are also easy to pick up second hand for silly prices quickly after release. Console games however, forget it! :rolleyes: My sons console games (PS2 & Xbox) massively outprice the same number of top games I've bought for PC. It's quite scarey totting how much has been spent on those bl**dy things............ :rolleyes:

As Crispy said (if you can afford It) go for both. While I may enjoy FPS, and stealth games on PC I wouldn't dream of taking him on in footie or racing games on it! :D

13. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    If you know where to shop you shouldn't pay more than £30 for a new console game, and more than £18 for a second hand one.

Then again pirate pc games are very easy to get hold of an install etc.

14. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Guru, I paid £9.99 for the latest Splinter cell (new) unpirated. Sorry, £18 isn't even close. Not to mention the console version of those games are knocked flat by the PC version.

I don't use pirate games. Not claiming the 'ethical high ground', just had too many duds and few with little 'virus surprises' in the past. Plus many modern games are geting close to uncrackable - without too much fiddle arsing to be bothered with.

15. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    PS3 graphic chip RSX and Nvidia 7800 are pretty similar, that is a good news because 7800 is the most powerfull graphic card made by Nvidia yet, i think it is the most powerful in world bar none right now, even though RSX is considerd as twice the power of 6800ultra cards.
    How much RSX will be different from the one which is used in Xbox360, No Idea. I hope it will be even greater battle between the 2 consoles.

16. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I would also think that the pc has the edge on multiplayer both local i.e. lan and internet. New genres are likey to origionate on the pc as the cost is far less, its an open market unlike consoles where the games are 'vetted' by console manufacturers before even being made.

Pcs take advantage of new technologies, i.e. doom multiplayer, how long did it take for halo to come out?

PC control system makes it quite unique, first person shooters (HL2 or Halo, which would youy choose) any stratergy game you come to mention.

The pc misses racing, sport and figting games although i'm not sure why, the console obviously has the upper hand on these simply because they have the games.
    The console is a closed system so easily optermised producing great graphics when they first come out and ususaly get better over time.

I peronaly perfer pc games as its more mathodical and usualy reqiures some though, were as most console games are twich game play. nothing wrong with that though as i do enjoy a bit of soulcalibre.

On the cost side of things consoles are obviously cheaper, but I perfer the pc because i enjoy there games and can also do many other things with a pc (although not much else with a multi £100 gfx card).

17. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    If gamespy etc released some software as good and as tuitive as xbox live the pc would definately have the edge online.

As it is trying to play a pc game online is an labourious task of finding a server without lag, being ejected and cheating scum.

xbox live puts paid to all of that and is a joy to behold.

18. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Thats one thing the console really has in its favour, the fact it takes pc games ages to get set up, making a lan sesion is always full of unecessary headaches (although half of them are what game are we going to play, what are the teams ...). A consoles plug in and play is far better than the pcs need to configure ect.

Back to th topic though, if the 7800 GTX is the same as the ps3 gfx card it doesn't matter, the xbox has an equivalent to a gf3 and a 733 pentium chip but produces visuals (although usualy at low resolutions) that a pc system of those specs couldn't ever produce.

This is due entirely to optermisiation, so although the chip may (or may not) be the same it doesn't really mater as it will be used differently.

PC games will have the atvantage over the first generation of new console games as there will most likely be problems coding the multi cores that the consoles use and the wiered articetures that they have, were they always limit soomething somewhere that requires inovative coding.

When it comes down to it though, grfx are only used to sell a game, its game play that count's otherwise grand theft auto wouldn't be one of the highest sellng fancises ever as it is quite the ugly ducking these days.

19. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    It is, but that's only while the number of users, as compared to PC is stil low. Wait till that bandwidth starts to get gobbled up and more games come online and 'boom'! I hope it doesn't, as I agree games its much easier at the moment, but give it time................