1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the 'new' Epson TW100 available in the UK?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by John_N, Apr 1, 2003.

1. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

After reading the review on the 'new' updated Epson TW100 on www.projectorcentral.com I checked out a few web sites.

The Epson US website states the contrast ratio as being 600:1 (the 'old' value according to projectorcentral) as does the Epson UK website.

All the resellers in the UK are quoting the 'old' contrast ratio.

I rang up Epson pre-sales in the UK and asked them. The woman I spoke to, apart from being rather unhelpful and rude, had appeared to never have heard of the "improved" TW100.

I'm confused. Is it only available in the US? Is it not available at all despite projectorcentral saying it's shipping now... Is the model number the same in the UK? (I know it's supposed to be the TW100H in japan)

Anyone know?

J

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I can only tell you what I've been told.

Firstly, Epson UK have said that the improved contrast ratio is a software change only, i.e. there is no change to the actual hardware. This 'may' mean that the older model can be upgraded with a simple firmware upgrade - but who knows.

Secondly, in speaking with AV-Sales they informed me that the 'new' version will be not be available in the UK until September at the earliest. Guess this matches why your Epson contact knew nothing about it.

Is annoying though when you read about a new model and even the mfr can't tell you anything about it. My last suggestion would be to contact AVS (over at avsforum.com) - maybe try and talk to Alan - and see if they have any news as to availability in the US at least.

Sorry no specifics but it all seems like Chinese whispers at the moment. It's very tempting just to go the AE300 route but with the higher res panels in the TW100 I still think it has to be a better bet. Just my opinion of course :D

3. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya

So. I've got a new HS10 just swapped out. It has now given my one false start in approx 25 hours operation. I am not pleased. This is documented in the "I think my HS10 is about to pack in" thread.

I am considering taking it back and swapping it for another unit from a different manufacturer because to me, false starts mean a faulty unit and I don't really want it doing that to me.

So what do people think?

1. Stay with the HS10.
    2. Go 'down' and swap it for an AE300 + cash
    3. Swap it for an NEC HT1000 or Epson TW100 (with more cash spent obviously).
    4. Swap it for a Sony VPL-WV12HT (with more cash spent)

Any ideas?
    J

4. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John_N,

I'd say take a refund or swap for an AE300 + cash. Why spend more cash when you can get a very good quality projector for less? In about a year new models will come out anyway...
    I don't think that AE300 will disappoint you.
    It seems that some people prefer it to the new Epson, see the following thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=243597

All the best,
    Julia

5. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Julia - I see from your location that you're based in Scotland and therefore I understand your viewpoint :) - why spend more when you can spend less? :) :)

I forgot the other option: Put aside the extra £1000 cash and invest it to use against an upgrade in a few years....

Feedback?

J

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Yep, the AE300 looks incredible value. I have been very tempted as a replacement for my CRT but due to the reliability problems with the AE100 (not saying the AE300 has these but you won't find out until later) I am hoping to buy Beamer's TW100 for not a huge amount more than the AE300 (certainly not twice as much).

I just hope I don't see an AE300 anytime soon as I may then be disappointed :D

7. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=172898&perpage=20&pagenumber=3

That the TW100H had upgraded LCD panels hence the improved CR. I think the whole thing is a bit confused right now. It doesn't help that Epson UK don't seem to know what they are talking about.

The Panasonic AE300 isn't going to be an option for me because:

a) I use a HTPC and need 1:1 mapping available.

b) I'm concerned because of the reliability problems of the AE100 have tarnished the name a bit. I also had 2 panasonic VCRs and they were both ...well ..not exactly fantastic - certainly not compared to a Sony VCR. I realise that this probably has no relevance to projectors but people often stick with brands they have had good experiences with don't they?

J

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Yep, and believe me I have seen Beamer's TW100 in action ( :D ) and I think it will be great for the next 12 months or so until SXRD or some other leap in technology comes along.

Oh yeah, also, the AE300 has too long a throw for me. I only need to fill a 110" screen :D .

And finally, with 1:1 pixel mapping available I may eventually use my newly built HCPC.

9. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John_N,

I meant to say get the refund and buy AE300 with it.:D
    I'm using AE300 with an HTPC (1075x600 DVI) and the image is very sharp and vibrant. I can only imagine what 1:1 pixel mapping could offer, but even now the picture is awesome.

Yes, the only downside to AE300 is that fact that there is no 1:1 pixel mapping yet. I said YET;) I'm still hoping...:rolleyes: :D

All of the projectors you mentioned seem to be pretty good choices from the user feedback I've seen. I'm sure you cannot go wrong with any one of them.

Julia

10. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Julia

No I understood perfectly - like I said - sadly the AE300 although tempting and cheaper might be a no-go because of the lack of 1:1 mapping ...

To get back on subject though, what is the original TW100 like? Does anyone have one? What is the fan noise like? Has anyone compared the fan noise of the TW100 to that of the Sony VPL-VW12HT ???

As you can tell - if I swap my HS10 for another unit, I want a quieter one...... :)

J

11. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    John have sent you a PM.

12. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Julia, where in Edinburgh can you get an AE300?? Nobody seems to have them here for sale, let alone to demo! Same goes for the HS10 - even the Sony Centre in Morningside won't be getting one of those in for a while (or so said the dude on the phone). Only decent projector I've been able to find to demo is the Sanyo Z1 at Sevenoaks.

Cheers,

Dunc

13. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dunc,
    I've got a Japanese version from PriceJapan.com.
    AE300E - the European version comes out as we speak.
    Julia

14. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Um, apologise for lack of etiquette, but is there any chance I could come 'round and have a look at it in action some time? Whereabouts in E'burgh are you? I'm a student and on holiday, so I'm free all day every day. :clap:

Thanks,

Dunc

15. stealth

stealth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About the new TW100; I had a look at the link to Epson's Japanese site from PriceJapan. It states a 800:1 contrast ratio.

Take a look at http://www.i-love-epson.co.jp/products/elp/elp_tw100h/tw100h3.htm

(Use e.g. http://babel.altavista.com for Japanese-English translation)

Bying it from PriceJapan would set you back £1900, which is about half the price we have to pay here in Norway (don't know how much it costs in the UK?)

Have read about several people successfully ordering (and receiving ;-) their projectors from PJ. Does anyone know if Epson has a world-wide guarantee?

I currently own a Sanyo PLV-Z1, and I'm very happy with it, but in the event of an upgrade, I currently have yet to see a DLP without rainbow effect. So with 1280x720 resolution the TW100 is really up there on my upgrade wish list!

-stealth

16. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Units purchased in the UK come with a European wide warranty and no mention of a world wide warranty. That is an excellent price (don't forget duty etc) but reading others experiences I would be very doubtful about buying abroad as you will suddenly eat up your savings if you have any dead pixels which this unit seems to be quite prone to.

I went through 2 pjs to get a good one before I sold it last year and the guy I sold it to went through another 4 to get one he was happy with. Many others have also had pixel problems and been through several exchanges so do bear that in mind (About £400 each time to return to PJ AFAIK).

17. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Where do you get £1900?? From what I can see from the PJ website, it says 'All costs to Europe: USD $3,506', which works out to about £2250. You then need to vactor in VAT. In the UK that's 17.5%, so it ends up at over £2600. Still a fair bit less than it goes for here (what's it down to these days? Was around three grand last time I checked, I think) but nowhere near as good a deal as you say... :(

To be sure, though, it is listed as the ELP-TW100H, which is the higher contrast version.

Dunc

P.S. - Messiah, I believe PJ gives a no-dead-pixel guarantee for no extra cost, though that doesn't mean you won't develop dead pixels later in the projector's life (this isn't a common thing, though, is it?)

18. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    John_n,

When did you get your first HS10, I ask this because myself and a mate got ours in December last year and we have had zero problems with our machines and my mates HS10 has now got over 650 hours on the lamp meter.

I can remember reading that the early machines were all quality inspected by hand because of the lamp problem and this ended up causing the delay in supply of the following batch of machines.

Perhaps Sony is trying too hard to meet demand and quality testing is slipping.

Personally I would not swap it for anything in this price bracket because nothing can touch its picture resolution.

I am sure you will get a good one in the end.

Klippie.

19. Tibbsy

Tibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,

I spoke to a company on Friday about the upgraded TW100, I was also told by AV Sales that it would not be available untill September, however, an Epson dealer told the company that I spoke to on Friday that it's on sale now. Things are looking good for a home demo of Sony's VW12HT and the TW100 for the easter weekend. I saw Optomo's new H56 today. Just need to arrange something for the HT1000.

Regards, Tibbsy