is the new edition of the thing better?

Here is another pic both shots from my setup which may help. The bottom one is better as a still shot, but on the move the difference isn't so clear, especially on a big screen.

Russell

Attachments

• thing pic quality.jpg
    thing pic quality.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 63
For some reason the screenshots I have taken have way less colour that yours, here is a comparison I did. The left half is from the original R2 release and the right half is from your screenshot...
comparison.JPG

As you can see the colour of the sheet is quite different, would my screen resolution or dvd software effect the screenshot?

The review I did and my old copy of The Thing are both R1, not R2. Perhaps that is the diff? Seems quite a bit if it is. Maybe if you have a R2 copy you should upgrade to the new R1?

PowerDVD has some different colour settings, if that is what you are using? If so, go into toolbox (far right icon on bottom row), Video, Advanced, Colour. This should be set to original.

Russell

Just checked my settings and the Colour was set to Vivid for some reason, have changed it to Original now and will do another comparison.

JohnG said:
No it's a widescreen Tv viewing in 16:9 mode and I always get the black bars when viewing like this, but these seem to be twice the size of the normal ones - I'll try and take a photo over the weekend if I get the chance

I have a Philips TV with both widescreen & 16:9 modes. The widescreen (or "cinema" mode on some TVs) adjusts the picture to show anamorphic moivies correctly. The 16:9 mode on my TV just sort of "zooms" in on the picture a bit more without adjusting. I don't know if some other brands of TV label "16:9" mode as a zoom or whether it actually stretches the picture to correct aspect ratio. I've only ever owned one widescreen tv

My Widescreen TV is a little different. To display anamorphic films correctly I select the 16:9 setting but I also have a Letter Box setting and a Zoom setting.
The Letterbox setting zooms in the picture so a non-anamorphic fills the entire screen so there is no space left at the sides and keeps the correct aspect ratio so everything looks right but then the picture quality doesnt look that great so I rarely use it. The Zoom setting zooms in to about half that of the Letterbox setting so there is empty space at the sides of the screen but as it doesnt zoom in so much the picture quality is better.

The only modes you'll ever need are...

16:9/Wide, never know this to be anything other than the standard anamorphic mode, i.e stretches the picture horizontally only.

Zoom/Cinema/LB etc - stretches the picture both horizontally and vertically as mentioned by Indiana.

4:3 - For good old fashioned 4:3 progs!

All WS TVs have these modes (in one guise or a another) plus more 'silly' modeswhich are juts gimmicks and have limited use.

Kevo - absolutely right.

It's a pity there isn't an industry/ISO standard for these terms.

For this version I rented to fill the whole screen I had to use SuperZoom mode for the first time ever.

pjclark1 said:
"the thing" was the last all animatronic film they made
no CGI were used in this movie.

What a bizarre statement. There is (obviously) no CGI here but there were plenty of films made after '82 that didn't use it.

Clash of The Titans? Think thar was made around the same time.
That was Harryhausens' last but not sure if was the last 'all alanimatronic film' made.

Robocop in the late 80s also springs to mind.

pjclark1 said:
"the thing" was the last all animatronic film they made
no CGI were used in this movie.

What!!111

CGI did'nt make really take off until the late, 80's (yes i know all about Tron)
. JUst look at films like Aliens, Ghostbusters, Nightmare on elm streets, Friday the 13ths etc. :lesson:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom