Is the new Denon 2800 MkII out yet?

A

Adele

Does anyone know when the Denon 2800 MkII is really set to come out? The Denon website says available from June 2002, but I've not seen any advertised on any Retail sites at all.

Thanks,
Adele.

PS If anyone HAS one, can they let me know how they rate it? Ta.

Try Unilet sound and vision in New Malden, Surrey if you're near there (020) 8942-9567. I bought a Denon 3800 from them after deciding over the 2800 MKII because it had DVD-Audio.
The service there is excellent and the demo rooms are so tasty you might want to live there ;)

Originally posted by Mr Merrick
Try Unilet sound and vision in New Malden, Surrey if you're near there (020) 8942-9567. I bought a Denon 3800 from them after deciding over the 2800 MKII because it had DVD-Audio.
The service there is excellent and the demo rooms are so tasty you might want to live there ;)

Mr Merrick.. did they definitely have a MkII?

waiting on a swap out at my dealers so this would be interesting.

pretty sure everyone else has been told they are not available yet till later this month.

they aren't list on Denon's website.. Adele where does it say coming in June 2002?

I'd expect it to be very similar to the original plus newer firmware.
there are also some additional menu options supposedly to stop our old friend "the artifact" on particular disks.

its in the manual online if you have a read.

thanks Adele... found it now. guess I'll try and get a demo..
the dealer is doing a swapout so no point in getting an original 2800 if the mkII is out.

its does sound better on all counts... looking at the press release and the US website.
comparing the spec on the US site lists these extras above a mk I.

SiI504 Decoding Engine (instead of 503)
Progressive scan support for 12fps(Animation)
Video overlay detection and processing
New High resolution Analog Devices 108 MHz 12 bit Video D/A Converter (instead of 54Mhz part)
DA Conversion system features Noise Shaped Video processing
Support for DVD-R

also the geocities website states they are working on the firmware for the mkII. expect something soon.

Had my 2800mkII for about a week now here in New Zealand and I am very happy.

Have had no problems so far.
Exellent picture with great detail and black levels.

We seem to get the region 2 2800's here in R4 land, all multizoned out of the box.

Firmware ESS 6098
Processor DRV 1-69

thanks Mr C.

can you post a more detailed review when you get a chance?

from the 2800 problems we've had here, we are particularly interested in any artifact problems I guess.

is it definitely multi-region... if you could try an RCE disc that would be wonderful.

I dont suppose Seven SE is the same there, but it could be with Australia being PAL... a test of one of the bad scenes could be useful.

MartinCo, it is definitely multi region. Tried disks from region 0,1,3 & 4
Plays r1 RCE Joe Dirt & Hollow Man fine.
All previous 2800mk1's sold here in NZ were also multi region too.
They have to be as r1 titles are freely available in stores here.

As for you question on se7en, I think you may find that it is just a case of low mpeg compression.
Have a look at the following...
se7en r1 vs r2 vs r4 video
http://www.dvdownunder.com.au/reviews/se7en-se.htm

that's interesting MrC...
after all this time, you are the first person to mention known picture problems with Seven SE R2.
I asked about this and not a word from anyone...

I guess its possible, but doesn't really explain why it shows up under some DVD players (original Denon 2800) and not all others..(my old Pioneer for example).

my Denon has gone back to Hayden Labs (UK distributors) to fix this problem and a few others... hopefully get a swapout at least for a mkII which should be imminent based on NZ having them.

I presume NZ/AU ones are scart based?
if so, then they should be out soon here - identical model.

Are there any reports of either the 2800MKII or the 3800 having the ability to output PAL progressive, ie 576p? Any "special" firmware like there was for the 2800?

avland.co.uk has the 2800MKII posted for £699
and the 3800 for £899
Not sure whether the 2800MKII is in stock though.

the geocities page says there are working on it...
so something will come out. the 3800 is basically the same
DVD-Video plus extra ontop for audio by the specs.

the aussie units might have pal progressive already... anyway you can check MrC?

As far as I know via my dealer the NZ Denon products are sourced separately from the Aus ones.
My one has region 2 stamped on the back, with scart.
I think the Aus ones are r4. I am not even sure if Aus has the 2800mkII yet.

I can't speak for Denon in Oz but I bought a Pioneer 717 whilst living there, and like wise it came pre-modded (a sticker on the box said 'modified for the australian market'). It was very obviously a region 2 machine modded (r4 stickers over the r2, firmware version no. showed r2 etc)...Most machines in the antipodes come pre-modded, as r4 is shared with South America so not a vast number of releases unless you speak spanish.

Very encouraging that there is a multi-region firmware. All we need is for it to 'leak' out somehow. I'd like one for the 3800 too!

Also interested in the comments regarding Se7en. I'll check out the link. It sounds as if a number of players do mask the problems with the compression, as many users of other players have reported a perfect picture.

Regards,
Ian Guinan

Tomas... cracking find!

did you just come across this by chance, or is this another variation of the geocities page... maybe a more direct one by the looks of it?

MartinCo: I actually don't know. I got the adress to this page from a Swedish forum last year and saved it because I was (still am) interested in the Denon 2800.

I believe that the progressive PAL firmware has a German origin and the page is (as you can see) German. They seem to have inside information about the new MKII firmware which could indicate some kind of involvement.

Please post a link to the geocities page if you have it... :)

no problem tomas.

its been posted many times before by ian & others, and was I thought the original source of the hacked firmware...(probably not by your link with more info).

http://www.geocities.com/denondvd/

it has similar info to the other site about the mkII but for now just says:-

"We are currently working on new DVD-2800MK2 codefree PAL Progressive version. It is more difficult than old DVD-2800. Looks like Denon does not like what we are doing ;-) Stay tuned for the DVD-2800MK2 version!".

Sorry if this I'm being really dumb, but what exactly is firmware and how does it work?

What do you do with it?

Can someone explain please (in non teccie language)?

Thanks.

not too difficult Adele to explain... think there are a lot of techies here.. including me.

the firmware is basically the software/ operating system that "runs" the dvd player.

the dvd player itself is just a piece of electronics.. completely dumb, the firmware is the software on top controlling everything you see, hear.. menus, remote control, how discs are read, you name it.

the vast majority of players still have their firmware fixed and cannot be altered, usually in a chip. a small number of players allow you to upgrade the firmware via a CDR, either sent to you by the dealer or downloaded off the internet. (Toshiba, Philips, Denon.. plus a few others).

so if you encounter a bug with a particular disc then they can fix it just by altering the firmware... you dont have to return your player to have this done since its as simple as loading a CD up.

in theory!

sorry for a silly question, but once you downloaded the new firmware - what do you do next?

is anyone running a 2800 with this new firmware with multi reg, pal prog scan etc?

cheers

Gary

if you do a search, you should find more detailed instructions on how to do this with the 2800. mkII should be similar.

a simple version of it

download 1 file, burn this onto a CD-R.

insert the CD-R into the player...

switch off after the firmware has loaded..

switch the player on whilst holding down some buttons.

quite a few people running with the new firmware or have been... no problems, plus you can always go back to the previous versions or the R2 only if really needed to.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom