Question Is the Monitor Audio MR-W10 the right sub for my setup?

sambd

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a sub for my current setup

50 Panasonic CX800
Denon AVRX1200W
Monitor Audio B4 (2009 ish)
Monitor Audio Bronze Centre
Monitor Audio FX rears

I previously had a Mordaunt Short sub but this died some time ago. My living room is fairly small at 12ft by 9ft. Would the MA MRW10 be a good fit or would you recommend something else?

Thanks!

Hi, depends on how much you can get the MA sub for really and also if that's your maximum budget?

Subwoofers generally don't have to be 'brand matched' so you could look elsewhere and depending on budget, get a better performing subwoofer..

Hi, depends on how much you can get the MA sub for really and also if that's your maximum budget?

Subwoofers generally don't have to be 'brand matched' so you could look elsewhere and depending on budget, get a better performing subwoofer..

My budget is between £200-£300, I'll have a look at a few brands :)

I basically don't want a sub too big for the room.

My budget is between £200-£300, I'll have a look at a few brands :)
I basically don't want a sub too big for the room.

I'd go second hand, as Steven says.. a BK XXLS400 or maybe even a Monolith (check the dimensions first though), Also worth considering an SVS SB12+ they pop up occasionally in the classifieds, there was also an SVS SB12-NSD model as well. All the subs mentioned go for around £250-300 in the classifieds and I'd be willing to bet they'd all outperform the MA sub in every aspect as well.

I assume it's not possible to listen to a BK200/400 before buying?

Is the BK XXLS400 well known for being reliable after 3+ years? I'm thinking its safer to buy new only because they have an amp or am I just being silly

They are a reliable sub, and built in the uk. Many people have bought the bk subs, either new, or second hand and when an issue has arisen the issue has been very swiftly and economically dealt with by Tom at bk electronics. They have 100% customer care!

I assume it's not possible to listen to a BK200/400 before buying?

Is the BK XXLS400 well known for being reliable after 3+ years? I'm thinking its safer to buy new only because they have an amp or am I just being silly

I'd say as much as any other product, I think you have to be very unlucky if something does go wrong. I owned the 400 that was the actual review model reviewed on AVF in 2009, I owned it for about 4 years and sold it to a member here and as far as I know, nearly 7 years on, it's still going strong..
BK XXLS-400 Subwoofer Review

I'd say as much as any other product, I think you have to be very unlucky if something does go wrong. I owned the 400 that was the actual review model reviewed on AVF in 2009, I owned it for about 4 years and sold it to a member here and as far as I know, nearly 7 years on, it's still going strong..
BK XXLS-400 Subwoofer Review

WoW that is impressive to hear... I guess now I need to wait for the right colour or stump up the cash for a new one.

Although I guess I need to first decide between the 400 or 200! Or maybe a new 300... I always spend more than I want to!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom