Is the Lumagen HDP better than original Vision ???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cutes6, Feb 28, 2005.

1. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I currently have the original Vision feeding my NEC crt projector at 768p. Now I want to buy a plasma for the front room and was thinking of the Panny pw7 and using the original Vision to feed it via VGA.

Is the newer HDP better for my crt than the Vision or are will they give me the same quality with different connections.

Or would you use the new HDP on the Panny and leave the original Vision where it is.

I am particularly interested if the newer models are better with PAL tv as my original Vision suffers with stutter.

I love the quality of the Lumagen but this stutter issue is a real problem to me and I may have to consider other options, anyone have any ideas, thanks

2. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For Pal I'm using 600p at 51.11 refresh, the 'overclocking' seems to have cured the very slight juddering I was getting on PAL DVD. For NTSC I'm still using the tried and tested 720p 59.94 with no issues at all. This is into an SD plasma.

I can't answer about the HDP as I have the original Vision with no plans to upgrade, my new plasma/scaler project became decking in the garden two weeks ago!

Ian

3. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    imichael,

I have read about this overclocking idea and have tried it when I had a few minutes.

The problem I have is that when I look at the info on the projector sometimes it says its receiving 50.9 htz and sometimes 50 htz. I need to spend more time looking into this as I may need to set up different memories in the projector which is a pain.

The other issue is that the stutter issue is hard to replicate and some programmes are much worse than others.

At the end of the day I think I may have to get a screen thats all in one with tuner and sound. My job requires me to live in Hemel Hempstesd during the week and Harrogate with the family at weekends and it will need to be easy to operate for the missus.

The annoying thing is that to get separates will be much better quality.

4. peter350

peter350

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I upgraded from a vision to a HDP pro on my Pioneer plasma back in July.

There was a clear pq improvement out of the box and that was several software versions ago.

As to stutter at 50hz output I can't comment as for reasons specific to the pioneer I used 1080p at 60hz on the vision and use 768p at 70hz on the HDP (the frame rate conversion is excellent).

Regards Peter