Is the LG E6 range the best TV for 3D viewing

George12

Can the C6 owners on here confirm if what i have read about the back becoming very hot from lenghty contined use like watching a film is correct or not?

MMachine78

Can the C6 owners on here confirm if what i have read about the back becoming very hot from lenghty contined use like watching a film is correct or not?
I have a C6 wall mounted and watch a lot of tv....sometimes we can do a whole day if I’m hungover watching a tv series...never checked the back but also never had any problems at all with it!

George12

I have a C6 wall mounted and watch a lot of tv....sometimes we can do a whole day if I’m hungover watching a tv series...never checked the back but also never had any problems at all with it!

Thanks, something that i read in a review that some one had noticed with their set and if you've had a good day and it's not been an issue then that's good for me. Take it that you be getting the beer delivered to keep up the product testing regime;)

sebna

Same here. Never noticed any heat build-up but also never checked for it. My seats on the cabinet which is in the corner but kind of meter away so it has plenty of breathing space. It is not unheard for us to have occasional 6h+ sessions and never noticed anything out of ordinary.

George12

UHD term combines those two aspects in one name. But 4k is resolution which, at least on 65", does not matter that much and other limitations of movie production kick in to diminish perceivable difference in detail between 1080p and 4k. But HDR, so wide colour gamut and most importantly the lack of compression of maximum range of light output (or 6-8x less compressed in case of Oled in compare to 1080p) is huge difference. Keep in mind that by light output I also mean equally important finer grading in near black so 0 light output end of the scale.

Because of the above the problem with UHD and why it is common for people to say it is another gimmick or not worth it at all is the fact that to experience HDR which is the real differentiatior here IMHO one needs high end display model capable of high contrast and high nit output.

Without it you just get 4k which is meh.

But E6 will get it covered in great way. Just make an effort of watching with lights off and in as pitch dark as you can achieve.

You are in for a treat :).

Is there a notable difference between HDR and Dolby Vision and if so what is it?

sebna

HDR 10(+) or Dolby Vision are competing real world implementations of the HDR standard. You can think about them as different connector types. Like usb-c Vs thunderbolt on iPhone. Those two cables get the same job done of transferring information but have their pluses and minuses.

DV is more advanced and closed technology so more open HDR 10 had evolved into HDR 10+ to catch up but is not getting any real world traction.

The biggest difference is that DV has frame by frame control of HDR behaviour why HDR 10 does not. Only 10+ has.

Out of the box DV gives better picture but as it is very much closed standard you cannot do much with it while HDR is more flexible to be modified and twisted.

For TV and most people DV is simple path to better image.

I only touched on key aspects. There is much more depth to the discussion. I am sure there are good articles about it if you would like to know more. I could not speak with all certainty about all relations that are there and become important depending on use case scenario (like PJ).

George12

@zAndy1 @MMachine78 @sebna @drstuf08 @SimonST @kenshingintoki

A big shout out to all above for your time and effort in helping out on this, i tip my hat to each and everyone of you!

Finally got a 55C6, space at the moment is restrictive unfortunatly as you all point out in different ways, the 3d on this in comparison to my Sony w905 is worlds apart and i thought i had it nailed, which just goes to show that your never too old to learn!

Picked up some 4K disc's to see what they were like and very impressed with watched i've watched so far. After sorting out the issue of the screen going blank for a few seconds when watching 3d, it turned out the i had not set the output to this on my Sony x800 player. Unfortunatley the same is happening now with the 4k films, but i'll be buggered if i can access the Sony through the magic wand to alter it to 4k output :facepalm:

George12

Can somebody help on why i'm getting snow on the screen when in the blu-eay settings through the Philips B5soundbar but not affecting the picture when playing a disc, as opposed to non when plugged directly into the HMDI on the 55C6? The blu-ray as to go via the soundbar, for the soundbar to work.

George12

@zAndy1 @MMachine78 @sebn a @drstuf08 @SimonST @kenshingintoki

Hi Guys,
I've been enjoying the LG extremely and getting through watching my 3D collection nicely and purchasing some new ones too! Picked up some 4K material too and was plesantly suprised with that and the UHD content from the iPlayer showing off the tv's cxapabilities in that dept.
I'm using a Sony X800 player which has superb sonics to my hears but does not deliver Dolby Vision(DV) and was considering on updating to include that capability.

Do you guys have any opinion on if i need to update for DV?

Do guys have any recommendations from what your using?

sebna

DV for Oled is worth it IMHO if you have discs to watch. I like DV best out of HDR standards (I have not seen anything HDR 10+)

UB820 is my choice. If you can get one 2nd hand even better :)

George12

Thanks for your reply Sebna regarding the player which i will be sticking wioth for the short term as it is not that that is stoppiong me from getting the mosat from my UHD disc's but my philips B5 soundbar. While being good in it's time for blu-rays is somewhat lacking in it decoding of D Amos and DTS:X, therefore i am now looking at upgrading this and was wondering what experiences other people have had if using soundbars and what make they are. Will the LG C6 pass through Atmos or would i need to route it direct to the soundbar?

MMachine78

Thanks for your reply Sebna regarding the player which i will be sticking wioth for the short term as it is not that that is stoppiong me from getting the mosat from my UHD disc's but my philips B5 soundbar. While being good in it's time for blu-rays is somewhat lacking in it decoding of D Amos and DTS:X, therefore i am now looking at upgrading this and was wondering what experiences other people have had if using soundbars and what make they are. Will the LG C6 pass through Atmos or would i need to route it direct to the soundbar?
Sorry I have sold mine as got a 77” LG CX....hopefully they bring back 3d one day...hope your enjoying your set!

George12

Sorry I have sold mine as got a 77” LG CX....hopefully they bring back 3d one day...hope your enjoying your set!

It's excellent and the 3D is mind blowing compared to what i had on the Sony, which i thought was good. Don't think i can give up the 3D when Prometheous looks like it does now and especially when the 4K, even as good as it is to the 1k blu-ray jump, just doesn't do it for me like the 72i dvd to 1k bluray did! Just hope mine doesn't give up the ghost on me too soon! I'm now thinking that i should have gone for a 65 set instead of the 55, even though it would of been a struggle to fit it space wise, ey oh.....

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom