Is the LG E6 range the best TV for 3D viewing

George12

I’m in Norwich...not sure if I am selling yet...going to make a decision in the next couple of weeks.
I know someone in here got just over a grand for theirs recently so would be looking for around that.

I take it the it has no bleed or screen burn and that you still have all the accessories: remotes, stand, 3D glasses, ect

MMachine78

I take it the it has no bleed or screen burn and that you still have all the accessories: remotes, stand, 3D glasses, ect
Nope none at all...have the stand and never used as had it wall mounted. Have both the remotes, glasses I have about 4 LG pairs from memory and a couple of cinema ones.

George12

Curved TV is just better then flat from psychics point of view providing more equal distance (or equal if the curvature is perfectly aligned to viewing distance) of each part of the screen to the eye.

For the same reasons 3d is better.

Purely subjective my C6 65" gives, because of the curvature better depth or 3d like effect on 2d material then my flat C9 65".

Both in active use.

I'm coming more around to the 65" screen, will be a tight fit. Was wondering what your thoughts were on the picture processing of the C6 and is the E6 worth the difference if i already have a decent soundbar?
Do you suffer badly from reflections on the C6 and to what extent is the curve of the screen?

MMachine78

I'm coming more around to the 65" screen, will be a tight fit. Was wondering what your thoughts were on the picture processing of the C6 and is the E6 worth the difference if i already have a decent soundbar?
Do you suffer badly from reflections on the C6 and to what extent is the curve of the screen?
I can’t really see any reflections on mine and have attached a pic of the curve but think it’s quite subtle compared to some!
C662D418-FB5D-4D5F-9817-AF5782D6FBE6.jpeg

sebna

I am 95% sure that C6 and E6 have exactly the same processing. It was only G6 which had slightly more powerful chip built in allowing for HDR on YT and that was about it.

Especially if you have your own sound bar I would say it is totally not worth it to go for E6. C6 has only tiny frame all around and just looks better, slicker, no matter on the wall or on the stand which is transparent so TV looks like levitating a bit.

My 2 cents. But I am biased as there is a reason why I went with C6 in the first place. I liked it better :) for being curved, and without big ass speaker on the front and with transparent and better looking stand.

George12

I am 95% sure that C6 and E6 have exactly the same processing. It was only G6 which had slightly more powerful chip built in allowing for HDR on YT and that was about it.

Especially if you have your own sound bar I would say it is totally not worth it to go for E6. C6 has only tiny frame all around and just looks better, slicker, no matter on the wall or on the stand which is transparent so TV looks like levitating a bit.

My 2 cents. But I am biased as there is a reason why I went with C6 in the first place. I liked it better :) for being curved, and without big ass speaker on the front and with transparent and better looking stand.

C6 is fastly becoming the favourite choice after reading the Wikapedia link you posted and watching the HDTV youtube review between the C6 v B6, which stated that the curved C6 gave greater depth and was more immersive 3D viewing due to it's slight curvature

sebna

C6 is fastly becoming the favourite choice after reading the Wikapedia link you posted and watching the HDTV youtube review between the C6 v B6, which stated that the curved C6 gave greater depth and was more immersive 3D viewing due to it's slight curvature

Just to let you know that B-series (as is always does) had previous year chip so it had a bit worse PQ, less power etc. I would avoid B6.

And I can confirm that curvature of C6 with infinite contrast of Oled gives quite often sensation of real depth to otherwise 2D picture in compare to my C9 (which is flat).

3D is just superb :)

Ofc buying few years old Oled I would make sure you can properly test it for per-existing burn-in. Also there is no harm to check some 3D content to be sure that the a) the panel was not changed under warranty (because of burn-in for example) for non-3d panel b) there is no major problems with cross talk as some 3D ole panels would have slightly misaligned 3D filter causing cross-talk of various degree.

Do not expect perfect panel in every way. Small amount of cross talk at the very edges of the screen will not make any difference to viewing experience for example.

Last edited:

George12

Just to let you know that B-series (as is always does) had previous year chip so it had a bit worse PQ, less power etc. I would avoid B6.

And I can confirm that curvature of C6 with infinite contrast of Oled gives quite often sensation of real depth to otherwise 2D picture in compare to my C9 (which is flat).

3D is just superb :)

Ofc buying few years old Oled I would make sure you can properly test it for per-existing burn-in. Also there is no harm to check some 3D content to be sure that the a) the panel was not changed under warranty (because of burn-in for example) for non-3d panel b) there is no major problems with cross talk as some 3D ole panels would have slightly misaligned 3D filter causing cross-talk of various degree.

Do not expect perfect panel in every way. Small amount of cross talk at the very edges of the screen will not make any difference to viewing experience for example.

Thanks @sebna for the tips and heads up, much appreciated !

George12

One last thing that i have resovation on is that with the C6 curviture, does it effect the straight lines on sports fields like when watching football?

MMachine78

One last thing that i have resovation on is that with the C6 curviture, does it effect the straight lines on sports fields like when watching football?
Never seen anything like that at all....you almost forget sometimes it’s curved watching normal tv.
I just wish they did a 77” 3d curved as I would be all over that.
Think I have made up my mind now to go for a 77” and sacrifice the 3d. :(

sebna

It will not be a problem at all. Never noticed any distortion from the curvature.

George12

Never seen anything like that at all....you almost forget sometimes it’s curved watching normal tv.
I just wish they did a 77” 3d curved as I would be all over that.
Think I have made up my mind now to go for a 77” and sacrifice the 3d. :(

You letting the C6 go before you actually get the new minster 77" TV? If so, i was thinking £900 would be a reasonable offer for the C6 as i've a 400 mile round trip to collect and wouldn't be comfortable giving more for a 4 year old TV which i'm guessing has no warranty. Yes there are one's going on Ebay for more, but once the fees(Ebay & Paypal) are paid they would be receiving less. Would be good to have your thoughts and plans on how you intened to proceed.

MMachine78

You letting the C6 go before you actually get the new minster 77" TV? If so, i was thinking £900 would be a reasonable offer for the C6 as i've a 400 mile round trip to collect and wouldn't be comfortable giving more for a 4 year old TV which i'm guessing has no warranty. Yes there are one's going on Ebay for more, but once the fees(Ebay & Paypal) are paid they would be receiving less. Would be good to have your thoughts and plans on how you intened to proceed.
Hi mate, I have decided to keep the TV for now...I watched a 3d film the other night and know I will miss it once it’s gone, so going to keep hold of it for the foreseeable future I’m afraid. I hope you find one out there somewhere!

George12

Hi mate, I have decided to keep the TV for now...I watched a 3d film the other night and know I will miss it once it’s gone, so going to keep hold of it for the foreseeable future I’m afraid. I hope you find one out there somewhere!

Fare enough, i'd prob do the same if i had the space! However, if i bought your 3D films also you'd have non to watch!!!
Thanks for you contributions in answereing my questions, and along with Sebna have been greatly helpful in working out what i really needed from a 3D TV for which i am indebted to you both for doing so

George12

A friend as offered to me a E6, which as some screen shadow and a mark on the screen as he is getting a new TV. The thing is, is the shadow going to become screen burn and should i take a punt as the price is decent?

MMachine78

A friend as offered to me a E6, which as some screen shadow and a mark on the screen as he is getting a new TV. The thing is, is the shadow going to become screen burn and should i take a punt as the price is decent?
I would go round and take a look and see if it bothers you....for me I wouldn’t just because I’m fussy and I would know I would always be looking out for it instead of enjoying the tv! But that’s just me :smashin:

George12

I would go round and take a look and see if it bothers you....for me I wouldn’t just because I’m fussy and I would know I would always be looking out for it instead of enjoying the tv! But that’s just me :smashin:

Thanks for your angle on this. Think i will have a look and take a couple of 3D movies and see if it affects the viewing experience.

George12

Looks like it's going to be the E6 if it's upto my like .Had to let a C6 go which was a great pity, as the guy was being a bit cagey when i was making enquiries on certain aspects of the TV and if i could test out the 3D and if i could see a recipt for the purchase, ect it just diddent seem to stack up and i wouldn't want to be the ownwer of stolen goods that is a resut of another persons misery.

sebna

Looks like it's going to be the E6 if it's upto my like .Had to let a C6 go which was a great pity, as the guy was being a bit cagey when i was making enquiries on certain aspects of the TV and if i could test out the 3D and if i could see a recipt for the purchase, ect it just diddent seem to stack up and i wouldn't want to be the ownwer of stolen goods that is a resut of another persons misery.
Both are great. Hopefully it will give you a lot of fun for a long time.

George12

In the real world experience what is the 4K HDR like, as i would also like to upgrade certain classic's like the Matrix which read they have done a good job of? Is there a peak white limit in comparison to later LG TV's, ect?

sebna

I will put it this way. I could not care less about 4k but HDR is amazing (of course when done at least ok).

George12

I will put it this way. I could not care less about 4k but HDR is amazing (of course when done at least ok).

I didn't realise that there was a difference between 4K and HDR, i always thought it was different names for the same thing: like Gore-tex and all the other varients of water-proof memebranes:facepalm:

sebna

I didn't realise that there was a difference between 4K and HDR, i always thought it was different names for the same thing: like Gore-tex and all the other varients of water-proof memebranes:facepalm:

UHD term combines those two aspects in one name. But 4k is resolution which, at least on 65", does not matter that much and other limitations of movie production kick in to diminish perceivable difference in detail between 1080p and 4k. But HDR, so wide colour gamut and most importantly the lack of compression of maximum range of light output (or 6-8x less compressed in case of Oled in compare to 1080p) is huge difference. Keep in mind that by light output I also mean equally important finer grading in near black so 0 light output end of the scale.

Because of the above the problem with UHD and why it is common for people to say it is another gimmick or not worth it at all is the fact that to experience HDR which is the real differentiatior here IMHO one needs high end display model capable of high contrast and high nit output.

Without it you just get 4k which is meh.

But E6 will get it covered in great way. Just make an effort of watching with lights off and in as pitch dark as you can achieve.

You are in for a treat :).

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021