Is the LG E6 range the best TV for 3D viewing

George12

Hi all,

I know 3D is classed as old hat these days by the TV industry. I would like to know if the LG E6 is the best that was available before they decided to drop it for 4K, I have the Sony W9 which has excellent 3D but i do suffer after long viewing periods with it's active 3D technology. Any help on this especially LG E6 owners would apprecited?

drstuf08

passive 3d is much easier on the eyes than active 3d and the e6 is a lot better than my 65" vt plasma was

watched frozen 2 3d on sky a couple of weeks ago with my daughter and it was very good.

sebna

C6 is ultimate 3d because it is curved :) but e6 will also do. Both are full 1080p per eye. Best 3d ever

sebna

I am intriuged to know why is a curved TV better for rendering 3D than a flat screen?

Curved TV is just better then flat from psychics point of view providing more equal distance (or equal if the curvature is perfectly aligned to viewing distance) of each part of the screen to the eye.

For the same reasons 3d is better.

Purely subjective my C6 65" gives, because of the curvature better depth or 3d like effect on 2d material then my flat C9 65".

Both in active use.

George12

Curved TV is just better then flat from psychics point of view providing more equal distance (or equal if the curvature is perfectly aligned to viewing distance) of each part of the screen to the eye.

For the same reasons 3d is better.

Purely subjective my C6 65" gives, because of the curvature better depth or 3d like effect on 2d material then my flat C9 65".

Both in active use.

The logic makes sense, but i wonder why at the cinema the screens are flat and not curved?
The only public curved screen i am aware of is that at the Bradford TV museum for the wrap around affect.

sebna

The logic makes sense, but i wonder why at the cinema the screens are flat and not curved?
The only public curved screen i am aware of is that at the Bradford TV museum for the wrap around affect.

Curved screens are also widely used in IMAX and standard movie theaters for their ability to produce natural expressions and draw the audience deeper into the scene. A standard IMAX screen is 22m wide and 16m tall, but there are screens with even larger dimensions

As to the rest. I would assume huge curved screens must be more expensive to implement so not all cinemas will see the investment justified as 85% (99%?) of audience will not care or notice due to lack of direct comparison.

SimonST

Distinguished Member
The difference between a curved and flat OLED is negligible in real-world viewing, especially as the curve was pretty mild. I had 3 EG960s, 2 EF950s and the E6 I have now, and in terms of 3D performance, they were all pretty much identical. Although the E6 (and C6) also have the 'HDR effect' picture preset which the 2015 sets lack, and if you play around with it, it's actually great for animations/CGI-heavy movies.

A curved screen does make more sense at much larger sizes though. The Avatar 3D ride at Disney World is a concave IMAX-sized screen which you're positioned much closer to than your typical IMAX theatre, and it's without a doubt the most impressive 3D experience I've ever seen, flawless 3D in every direction you look. The only way it could really be improved is if they pulled an LG and made a wall of OLED panels stitched together for the screen.

I say this in the nicest way possible (have a w905 downstairs), but if you think the 3D on that is excellent, you're going to be in for a very pleasant surprise when you get a 4K OLED :smoke:

George12

The difference between a curved and flat OLED is negligible in real-world viewing, especially as the curve was pretty mild. I had 3 EG960s, 2 EF950s and the E6 I have now, and in terms of 3D performance, they were all pretty much identical. Although the E6 (and C6) also have the 'HDR effect' picture preset which the 2015 sets lack, and if you play around with it, it's actually great for animations/CGI-heavy movies.

A curved screen does make more sense at much larger sizes though. The Avatar 3D ride at Disney World is a concave IMAX-sized screen which you're positioned much closer to than your typical IMAX theatre, and it's without a doubt the most impressive 3D experience I've ever seen, flawless 3D in every direction you look. The only way it could really be improved is if they pulled an LG and made a wall of OLED panels stitched together for the screen.

I say this in the nicest way possible (have a w905 downstairs), but if you think the 3D on that is excellent, you're going to be in for a very pleasant surprise when you get a 4K OLED :smoke:

Thanks for that, it just confirms even further that i definatley need a 4K OLED 3D as otherwise my life will not have been fullfiled, but joking aside your contribution along with the others as been of great help!

George12

For my purchasing persuit efforts with 3D viewing in mind being very critical, is the 65" better than the 55" for the viewing experience and with it being OLED is viewing distance an issue as is with LCD based screens?

sebna

Especially for 3d the bigger the better. All 3d technologies have optimal viewing distance I believe but even more important are the viewing angles both vertical and horizontal.

George12

I am assuming that the LG i get will come with factory settings. Is anybody aware if there a list available of the picture settings to tweak it as a base line, from which i can then expand on from time to time?

SimonST

Distinguished Member
If you've got the space for a 65" set, I'd highly recommend it. I'd always say go for the biggest you can physically accommodate.

Viewing distance shouldn't be an issue. You will potentially get a bit more crosstalk if you're sat *very* close, but I'm talking even closer than I sit, and I'm only about 1.4m away from my 65" set, most people will be sat much further back, especially in living rooms etc. As Sebna says, the most important thing is making sure your seating is such that your eye-level is horizontally/vertically central to the TV. If the TV is going to be wall-mounted high up, then you'd have to angle it down for example, else you'd get a ton of crosstalk. Speaking of which, I'd recommend checking the 3D filter has been properly aligned with one of the videos on YT if you can, will quickly/easily show you if there are any areas of the screen where it's misaligned (which would mean unavoidable crosstalk in those parts)

Every TV is unique, they'll come out of the factory in various states of accuracy; some will be very accurate, some won't, some will push blue-tinted whites, others will push reddish whites, so copying settings won't help, and could make things worse. But these sets are usually pretty accurate. I had mine ISF calibrated, and the difference isn't night and day. Set brightness/contrast with some test patterns, turn off any unwanted processing and enjoy.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
The E6 is 3D nirvana basically, absolutely fantastic due to the passive glasses and full HD for each eye. Get the 65" , if 3D is top of your list of properties you won't get any better

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I think the E6 would be the best if it wasn't so tiny.

Now for those who nabbed a 77'' G6.. yes they've smashed it.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Especially for 3d the bigger the better. All 3d technologies have optimal viewing distance I believe but even more important are the viewing angles both vertical and horizontal.
^^^^

This guy knows his 3D ;)

MMachine78

I have the 65” C6 and everyone is amazed when they watch the 3d on it.
I’m pretty close on o upgrading to a 77” but will miss the 3d, still gutted they stopped doing it, if the masses got to experience passive 3d on a large screen I’m convinced it would have still been going!

George12

I have the 65” C6 and everyone is amazed when they watch the 3d on it.
I’m pretty close on o upgrading to a 77” but will miss the 3d, still gutted they stopped doing it, if the masses got to experience passive 3d on a large screen I’m convinced it would have still been going!

What you asking for it and where are you?

MMachine78

What you asking for it and where are you?
I’m in Norwich...not sure if I am selling yet...going to make a decision in the next couple of weeks.
I know someone in here got just over a grand for theirs recently so would be looking for around that.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware