Is the LG 42PC56 a good set?

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by goldeneye243, Sep 15, 2007.

1. goldeneye243

goldeneye243

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    A friend of mine is looking at getting a new TV and is considering the LG 42PC56.

Is it a good set?

Having looked at the reviews and info on this site I have suggested the Panasonic 42PX70, would that be a better set?

I guess that his budget is up to a grand. He is currently using sky+, but wll probably upgrade to HD at some point.

Cheers!

2. Raymate

Raymate
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at this myself, anyone ?

What is the difference in the 42PC56 & 42PC55

3. Pontiac

Pontiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    The Panny gets a 5-star rating in this months What Hi Fi on newstands now. I'm not sure about the LG but after buying a pretty pants LCD off them I'd avoid them in future.

4. galatico

galatico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi,
    Been looking at this model as it now comes with 100hz aswell and its £599 for 42" anyone got one? any pics?

5. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
  6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    How they can give it 8 out of 10 and then say 'this TV only offers a mediocre performance with sd sources', and 'you'll need to invest in some expensive HD sources to make the most of the TV'. 99% of panels are at least OK with HD sources, most are 'OK' with SD, it must be a piece of crap to get reviews like that.

7. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Or the reviews are crap.

The LG is reviewed by 4 sources in the UK and gets marks ranging from 6.8 to 8 out of 10.

OK, reviews give some insight into these TVs but I think it's up to the individual to make the final choice as I wouldn't put it past some of these AV mags being biased towards specific manufacturers.

It's like AutoExpress et al. Reviewing my car it got :thumbsup: Though in reality the car isn't what they make it out to be. For example the interior finish has cheap & poorly finished plastics. I've seen it in other examples of the same car, so it's not just mine. All these reviews harp on about +ve attributes but no mention of the cheapy interior finish :rolleyes: Yet they revel in criticising these Korean car manufacturers in their reviews.

Best to go and see the telly in the flesh ! :smashin:

8. kostag

kostag
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have replaced my LG 42PC1R after a year of using with the new model 42PC55. I thought that the new model, which by the way have great new design and look, will have better picture, because of the new features, better contrast, new XD engine, 100Hz and so on, but I am dissapointed even after 150 hours of watching both HD and SD signal, through HDMI, component and Euro SCart, that the picture has a lot of noise and the picture is very grainy. I tried a lot of tweaking with the XD engine, but no success.:oops:

I regret that I have replaced my old PC1R, which had the best picture I've seen so far ( except Pioneer )

My friend has Pana PX70 (1100EUR), and I can say that the picture quality of the Pana is better, esspecially that black levels, and no noisy picture.

9. Soapysoap

Soapysoap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Just bought one so I'm going to be a bit bias. Purchased it for viewing Hi def stuff through my xbox 360 and hd-dvd player add on. High def stuff is superb (but on most panels it is). only paid £599 for it some am dead chuffed. Standard def stuff seem Ok too. The built in freeview tuner seems to give quite a smoothe picture after playing with the settings. Sound seems pretty good to although I will be going through my surround system. My other Tv is a Panaonic 37PE30 which I view most of the standard def stuff on and the performance of the 42pc56 seems to be on par with this.
    How good your TV will seem to you will be dependent on what your previous viewing experiences are. Get into the shop ask them to hook up a normal dvd (I even take my own discs) and have a play to see if you can get bthe settings you like. (if they don't oblige go to another shop)
    Soapy