1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is the lack of dvd-rw a problem on the pannasonic dmr e55?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jon114, Dec 9, 2004.

1. jon114

jon114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    after researching this site and concluding that this machine is one of the best for price and features, the only thing that doesnt seem to bother people is the lack of dvd-rw compatability for recording. Am i stupid in thinking this should be a big issue?

2. morgs

morgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bought one last week.

Having just spent this morning archiving onto DVD RAM, I think it's fantastic!

If you need to be able to play your dvds on lots of other machines, then lack or RW could be an issue.

I don't, so RAM is just perfect... and so easy to use.

And the recording and playback is just great!

If you decide that you can live without RW, then this machine has to be looked at!!

regards

morgs

3. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you intend to record on a re-writable media and want to watch it on another machine in the house or lend it out to family/friends then not having -RW is going to be a problem. The Panny's only use Ram as their re-writable media however most standard players will not read these disks nor will a lot of PC drives. If however you are like me and will only watch the Re-writable media on the drive it was created on then the Panny's will be perfect. If you don't mind using write once -R disks for lending to friends or for watching in another room on another player then you can make the Panny work that way too, as -R media is becoming so cheap there really is no reason not to. This whole debate has been trashed out on this forum already and I suggest you do a search for a more indebt answer.

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    It is a matter of personal preference and opinion if it is a "big" issue or not.

For me, it was an important issue, as we have other DVD players (which play -RW but not RAM), and I want the ability to make a "watch and wipe" recording (e.g. record Holby City for my wife who watches it upstairs later), without having to waste a DVD-R.

For long term archiving you will likely want to use DVD-R, so the issue is only for these type of temporary recordings.

I was debating between the Panasonic E85 and the Toshiba XS32, I went for the Toshiba primarily to this reason.

Mark

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    As I've said before, the reading of -RW disks is a bit of a lottery on many players anyway (especially older ones), and DVDRAM readers for PC's can be had for only £14 from Ebuyer

I have an ageing Pannie E50, and if/when I change it, it will be for an E55 for the component output and progressive scan features.

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Maybe a lottery, not sure what the odds are. For me, I have 2 "set top" DVD players (in addition to my XS32 recorder), and they both play DVD-RWs I record on the XS32 with no problem, so I'm happy. Buying a cheap PC DVDRAM reader wouldn't help me - I wanted a simple way to record on rewritable media I could play on my other "set top" players.

Mark

7. xavidvd

xavidvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have any question:

this E55 can play back discs DVD-RW ? No Record only Play back

Thanks

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The E55 can play back RW disks (although compatability can be an issue, so it's not guaranteed), but it cannot record RW disks. However see my post on the "Will Panasonic ever support RW" thread on RW/RAM disks.

9. xavidvd

xavidvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Nick UK, it's very important to be able play disc DVD-RW.