1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the KV32FQ80 really worth it extra £500

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Rookies, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Hi guys

Right I am in a need of a new tv set. I tried to order a KV32FX66 today at my JL store but they had none in stock. All JL store share there tv stockes in a warehouse. It be around 3 weeks till they get them in again. Well that what they reckon could be sooner or later.

Anyway I wonder if the KV32FQ80 is worth an extra £500. I know it got alot more features etc.

Just dunno what to do as I like them both really. just that the FX66 would of been a nice buy for it price

I seen them both in store both perform the same I though but the fq80 did have some added features

Any comments or help to make me decide ;)

2. MaKSiNG

MaKSiNG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Just got my KV32-FQ75 and it does absolutely everything I want from a TV and then some. :D

If you want to have the latest thing standing in your lounge though, the FQ80 does look nicer, if that is possible.

Personally I couldn't justify the extra £500, but then the FQ75 is starting to get hard to get hold of.

MaK

3. johanp

johanp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MaKSiNG, what about DRC-MF - not worth the extra £500? I was in a shop comparing FQ80 to LS60 and there sure was a clear difference in PQ. Of course what we really want is prog scan, but who knows when Sony will release that.

4. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Anymore help here pls?

Or should I just wait for the FX66 to come back in stock?

5. halyousif

halyousif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought the 32FQ80 and compared to my older 32FX20 the picture quality is amazing. Having 2 RGB SCARTs really helps (Sky on one and DVD on the other... no more looping through the digibox).

From the HomeCinemaChoice Online website:

Sony has introduced its first Memory Stick compatible TV, completing the digital connectivity loop that Sony's Memory Stick products offer. The 32in KV-32FQ80 features an embedded Memory Stick drive, which allows users to view digital still images on the screen of the TV without needing to connect additional equipment.

Outstanding picture performance is guaranteed, thanks to the Extended Definition Picture technology, which makes use of a high-definition video amplification board and increases the bandwidth of the video signal reproduced by the television's picture tube, resulting in a picture with incredible resolution and sharpness. For even more picture clarity, the KV-32FQ80 is also equipped with Sony's DRC-MF (Digital Reality Creation - Multi-Function) and Digital Chroma Processing.

Thanks to the development of Digital Noise Reduction with Auto Noise Reduction, low signal strength RF transmissions remain virtually noise free and, for digital inputs such as DVD or computer games, the KV-32FQ80 has MPEG Digital Noise Reduction, which smoothes out block noise to enable more natural image reproduction. In addition, another new feature for the 32FQ80 is the vertical picture stabiliser, which ensures that picture geometry remains true and precise even when areas of conflicting brightness would normally result in curved images.

FQ80 Technology
    * Digital Reality Creation - Multi-function - DRC technology doesn't just add pixels to the picture information; it emulates a high definition picture signal to improve picture definition and realism. DRC50 doubles the number of horizontal pixels and the number of vertical lines for 4 times greater resolution. DRC100 doubles the number of horizontal pixels along with the refresh rate of the picture to give a flicker-free 100Hz image.

* Extended Definition Picture - The use of an advanced video amplifier board enables the reproduction of higher frequency signals, this results in a more clearly defined picture with more visible detail and improved, more natural colour reproduction.

* Vertical Picture Stabiliser - the use of a voltage stabiliser circuit ensures consistent control over the electron beam. This in turn ensures true geometry of vertical (and horizontal) lines when the brightness of the image on screen changes suddenly.

* Digital Noise Reduction - By comparing the signal to noise ratio of the broadcast signal, DNR minimises RF picture noise and therefore interference, for a cleaner and more natural picture.

* MPEG Noise Reduction - Advanced processing of MPEG-2 digital picture signals from broadcast TV or DVD which smoothes out 'block noise' that can appear as a result of rapidly changing picture sequences, weak broadcast signals or low bit-rate recordings.

* Memory Stick Viewer - By inserting a memory stick into the slot of the TV it's possible to view JPEG files stored in the DCF format, as commonly used by digital cameras. This enables the highest possible viewing quality of such images.

* Powerful audio - the 32FQ80 delivers 2 x 10W stereo plus a further 15W from an onboard subwoofer.

6. digitalsauce

digitalsauce
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have you any noticeable problems with your FQ80? One or two have mentioned "buzzing" from the back of the set even with the volume turned up. Also there has been mention of a "one inch" (either side) vertical "fuzzy/focus" problem.. whereby everything that is displayed in this region stands out (the sky-logo for instance) .. more noticeable when you split the screen and/or have teletext up?

7. halyousif

halyousif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got the audio going through the STR-DE585 amp so the telly volume is mute so I haven't noticed any buzzing whatsoever. I sometimes mute the amp and leave the telly on and don't hear any buzzing.

As to the geometry, no problems there either. I used our in-house pluge and grids (I'm a digital effects compositor working in film and adverts) and had to tweak the settings a bit.

The colour and sharpness I find are quite simply amazing. I took a few shots from my (calibrated) Flame at work to play on the FQ80 and it was as good as my monitor.

8. digitalsauce

digitalsauce
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I presume that you would have the set for the most part in DRC-100 mode, doubling the resolution of the screen and yet keeping with a nice steady 100Hhz picture.. DRC 50 giving a higher resolution (?) but with all the woes of a 50Hz flickering display (hardly that useful then) ..

I really would like to get a definitive comparison as to how good the picture is in comparison to a Pixel Plus set (i.e DRC-MF vs Pixel Plus) but this has yet to be done or indeed 'who has the better picture' .. I was under the impression that the picture looked ‘slightly washed out’ in comparison (from someone who works in one of the stores) .. But then he did argue that IF the Sony had “Digital Natural Motion” (DNR) that the Philips sets have he would have no hesitation in buying the Sony ..

Its good to hear that someone has a set without any problems..

9. paulous

paulous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pixel Plus may look fantastic, but how many sets have suffered from the vertical bar problem as described in another thread on this forum! I've just bought a philips 9617 pixel plus set and I'm currently trying to return it and plan to exchange it for a FQ80. Mine suffers from the problem of two dark vertical bars on the screen.

I'm hoping the FQ80 will be just as good, if not better and will not have any problems. Fingers crossed.

10. digitalsauce

digitalsauce
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm in exactly the same situation as you Paul.. I have the choice of chancing another 9617 or going for a FQ80. -BUT- there is something making me hold back on this as it might be a case of jumping out of the fire into the proverbial frying pan .. Buzzing, out of focus edges and poor geometry are all a concern with the FQ80.. comparable perhaps to the ‘black bar’ issue. Remember, the bars can almost be removed by setting the contrast/brightness to a still acceptable level, maybe the same can’t be said of the Sony’s potential problems.

The FS76 had a pretty poor review in one of the magazines (3 out of 5) and that has almost the same picture technology as the FQ80.. but surely the FQ80 *has* to be a better set than the 9617, doesn’t it? .. Can it really have a better picture as P+ does make a *big* difference… then its not got Dolby Digital 5.1.. etc.

Decisions decisions .. I’m lost on this one .. No set seems to be without its problems – but if you have the chance to get rid of a 9617 and go for an FQ80 should you? :confused: