Is the keytronic kt400u2 a mechanical or membrane keyboard?

Writecat

Novice Member
Reaction score
I can't actually tell if my keyboard, the keytronic kt400u2, is mechanical or membrane. I don't think I actually know the difference. I tried to look my keyboard up, but I couldn't find out which type it was, and I don't want to remove the keycaps to check because I don't have an actual keycap puller and when I stick a screwdriver under the keys, it feels like they're gonna break. This is my only keyboard, and it's a nice keyboard, so that would be really bad.

So, to restate, is the keytronic kt400u2 a mechanical keyboard, or a membrane keyboard? and, as a side note, does anyone know if it's actually safe to remove the caps, or is my fear justified?

I can't actually tell if my keyboard, the keytronic kt400u2, is mechanical or membrane. I don't think I actually know the difference.

Mechanical keyboards are those that use hard plastic and metal components to provide the feel while rubber dome keyboards are those that use rubber (normally dome shaped).

Membrane keyboards are the flat sealed sort with no feel at all typically found on microwaves and similar. It was used as a derogatory term for rubber dome keyboards by the mechanical fanclub and unfortunately it does seem to have caught on.

The only difference between the two outside of those things that vary between individual switches (durability, activation point, travel etc.) is the type of feel that they provide.

That keyboard appears to date to 2011-2012 which is before the resurgence in popularity of hard switches had gained much momentum so it's almost certainly a rubber dome keyboard. Although if it's an expensive one it might have had sliders or similar to modify the feel.

Key attachment mechanisms vary so it's hard to say without being familiar with that particular model. If you're interested in the internals have you taken the case off the keyboard, that might give clues as to the keycap attachment mechanism.

Remove a key you rarely us like the Scroll/Lock and have a look

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom